Would you stay at a B&B...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've ever booked a hotel/b&b based on the breakfast. I'm a location/quality/price girl. BUT I do think that a B&B's breakfast description or page says a lot about the hospitality you'll get there, which IS a factor to me, especially since there's very little quality control over B&Bs.
If the rest of the website is attractive, informative and professional, I wouldn't notice the lack of breakfast info and assume continental or similar. But if the rest of the website is equally vague or seems to imply "we serve what we want, we clean when we want, we are hospitable when we feel like it" then I'd look for other options or check out their TA reviews.
I rarely book these days without checking reviews, and I trust them more than websites.

I don't think I've ever booked a hotel/b&b based on the breakfast. I'm a location/quality/price girl. BUT I do think that a B&B's breakfast description or page says a lot about the hospitality you'll get there, which IS a factor to me, especially since there's very little quality control over B&Bs.
If the rest of the website is attractive, informative and professional, I wouldn't notice the lack of breakfast info and assume continental or similar. But if the rest of the website is equally vague or seems to imply "we serve what we want, we clean when we want, we are hospitable when we feel like it" then I'd look for other options or check out their TA reviews.
I rarely book these days without checking reviews, and I trust them more than websites..
especially since there's very little quality control over B&Bs.
That is why you look for a B & B that is a member of an Association! Most Associations inspect their member inns as a measure of quality control. Not to ensure that all are alike, but to ensure that standards are being met in cleanliness, quality of linens, quality of dishes (we just make sure it is not Goodwill chipped and mixed), etc for the comfort of guests as well as their comfort level in booking with our members.

I rarely book these days without checking reviews, and I trust them more than websites..
That is why you look for a B & B that is a member of an Association! Most Associations inspect their member inns as a measure of quality control. Not to ensure that all are alike, but to ensure that standards are being met in cleanliness, quality of linens, quality of dishes (we just make sure it is not Goodwill chipped and mixed), etc for the comfort of guests as well as their comfort level in booking with our members.
gillumhouse said:
Oh sure, membership is a good first measure of quality, but if I don't know the association, or if all 5 B&Bs in town are members, it's hard to tell much from that logo. One member might do expanded continental and another might do 4-course breakfasts on fine china by a fireplace. Maybe "quality" was the wrong word, and I should have said "personality control."
What I meant about "control" is that with a Holiday Inn or a W Hotel, you know you're going to get approximately the same breakfast, service, linens, decor, cleanliness and value pretty much anywhere in this country.
When I book a B&B, I always check out their reviews to make sure they match up with what their website claims so I know what to expect. You've got to dig more to understand a B&B and that's the joy of B&Bs!

gillumhouse said:
Oh sure, membership is a good first measure of quality, but if I don't know the association, or if all 5 B&Bs in town are members, it's hard to tell much from that logo. One member might do expanded continental and another might do 4-course breakfasts on fine china by a fireplace. Maybe "quality" was the wrong word, and I should have said "personality control."
What I meant about "control" is that with a Holiday Inn or a W Hotel, you know you're going to get approximately the same breakfast, service, linens, decor, cleanliness and value pretty much anywhere in this country.
When I book a B&B, I always check out their reviews to make sure they match up with what their website claims so I know what to expect. You've got to dig more to understand a B&B and that's the joy of B&Bs!
stephanie said:
gillumhouse said:
I think there is the perception you will get the same quality control because there is a 'manual of service' and a chain of command at a hotel. It is the same reason my father will not eat at anything other than a chain restaurant. Will not eat at a mom & pop anything, anywhere, anytime (pizza, I think is the only exception to that).
Everyone has horror stories of a wonderful stay at chain x's branch in some state vs the horrible stay at the same chain in even another town in the same state. It's the reason my mother keeps a travel diary of places to avoid (and places to stay) in their travels.

stephanie said:
I rarely book these days without checking reviews, and I trust them more than websites.
You are spot on! Had a call from England this morning afte reading our TA reviews being quite the crack they said. BTW in case anyone is listening they wanted two rooms and the OLD webervations makes you input ALL THE BLASTED INFO TWICE!

gillumhouse said:
That is not all the time. It is also not true that those NOT IN associations are horrible (I know you didn't say that) But it is insinuated the quality can be crappy if not verified. There are quite a few here on this forum ABOVE STANDARD B&B's who are not members for various reasons.

gillumhouse said:
stephanie said:
gillumhouse said:
Cost is not the deciding factor either, some places are very expensive and serve a cheapo continental. If in doubt,email them!
If someone had a guest comment "EXCELLENT BREAKFAST!" I would not even bother emailing, I know it is good!

gillumhouse said:
stephanie said:
gillumhouse said:
I think there is the perception you will get the same quality control because there is a 'manual of service' and a chain of command at a hotel. It is the same reason my father will not eat at anything other than a chain restaurant. Will not eat at a mom & pop anything, anywhere, anytime (pizza, I think is the only exception to that).
Everyone has horror stories of a wonderful stay at chain x's branch in some state vs the horrible stay at the same chain in even another town in the same state. It's the reason my mother keeps a travel diary of places to avoid (and places to stay) in their travels.
Bree said:
stephanie said:
gillumhouse said:
You have just explained Fivebucks. In Australia you never knew what coffee you would get from one day to the next, from the same ESPRESSO place! Fivebucks is the same across the board. I agree with your Daddy's pic on this.

gillumhouse said:
That is not all the time. It is also not true that those NOT IN associations are horrible (I know you didn't say that) But it is insinuated the quality can be crappy if not verified. There are quite a few here on this forum ABOVE STANDARD B&B's who are not members for various reasons.
Of course not all who are not members are less than acceptable. My point was that those who look askance at B & Bs because of the quality control issue could look for membership in an association. The meaning is, that you do not KNOW. As pointed out, you know what an HI, Marriott, or other chain is going to be like because of STANDARDS. With B & Bs you find Standards wo associations. I was not even implying that non-members are not nice etc. Only that if you are looking for standards, look for an association membership. The keyword here is standards and perceptions standards create..
Your Dad will not eat anywhere except a chain restaurant for the same reason it was implied that B & Bs do not have quality control.

gillumhouse said:
So true,
There are a number of wonderful B&Bs here that don't belong to our local association and for good reason, it's not an easygoing group! And there are a couple of association members we would never recommend! Membership does not always reflect quality.

I would stay with any of them. I've stayed at vegan and vegetarian places. Nothing wrong with kosher. My sister has celiac disease and we have wonderful breakfasts at her free B&B. I know that when I'm in the Middle East and Africa this winter I'll be having lots of beans for breakfast or yogurt and olives, bread. YUMMM!!

gillumhouse said:
So true,
There are a number of wonderful B&Bs here that don't belong to our local association and for good reason, it's not an easygoing group! And there are a couple of association members we would never recommend! Membership does not always reflect quality.
inncogneeto said:
So true,
I thought the last line was going to read : Membership has its privileges.
ha ha
Are there really that many BAD B&B's? Or folks, is it something we can EASILY detect from their website? Can anyone share an example of a bad B&B or bad breakfast when they expected a decent one?

gillumhouse said:
So true,
inncogneeto said:
So true,
ha ha
Are there really that many BAD B&B's? Or folks, is it something we can EASILY detect from their website? Can anyone share an example of a bad B&B or bad breakfast when they expected a decent one?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Aren't you the one with the micro fruit portion story?
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
So true,
inncogneeto said:
So true,
ha ha
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
One banana shared between four adults? Yes. Fortunately that B&B is now under new ownership. I might go take a gander and see if they updated the website. They had a game room with pool table which is the main reason we booked and then we had to ASK to use it and they said it was not heated, so we could not. WHAT THE! This was something they bragged about on their website and we thought would be fun.

Well I cannot find that B&B on any directory or direct searches now. I know a Mother and Daughter team bought it - to continue to use as a B&B . Wonder what happened.

i wouldn't want to criticize a place by name on the forum.
have stayed at a couple places in the last year where breakfast was a major disappointment

gillumhouse said:
So true,
inncogneeto said:
So true,
ha ha
The ******** B & B in Vermont that I think is no longer in business - I hope. 1 egg for 4 people.

i wouldn't want to criticize a place by name on the forum.
have stayed at a couple places in the last year where breakfast was a major disappointment.
Point taken. Edited. Would not have if I thought it was still there. But you are right.

If the property is stellar, none of the items on the menu would dissuade me from booking. However, if a property down the road was just as wonderful and served a better breakfast, I'd stay there.
Now for the truth...all I really want are waffles, pancakes or French toast and a GREAT cup of coffee. An ala carte egg to round it off would be Heaven.

if a place looked nice, i'd stay and eat what was served ... why not? could be enlightening ... and it's only for a little while.
i'm fairly easy going ... but i hope for something warm.

Back