Would you stay at a B&B...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the assumption I would make if the B&B specified they only served those foods/used certain cooking methods (as you listed them)- if that's all they serve, it's gonna be a really good example of how to do that. We all know I don't require meat (pork) at breakfast so vegetarian, vegan or kosher would be fine. Gluten free wouldn't be a bother, either because I know a chef who regularly does a GF lunch with desserts and it's very good.
If there was NO indication of what kind of breakfast was served, I would then assume it would be 'breakfast' foods that are normally associated with breakfast in this country (or whatever the country is the B&B is in).
So: eggs in some fashion, muffins/bread, cereal, fruit, pancakes, FT, crepes or similar, some sort of pork (and I'd hope for bacon!). Juice, coffee, tea.
Unlike the meal I got at a B&B in MA a long time ago...help yourself granola and yogurt and fruit salad out of a can. I was expecting FOOD for the price we paid..
See, I never think of cereal as part of breakfast at a B&B. A breakfast boo-fay at the Interestate motel/hotel, yes. I expect the breakfast to be up a notch.

Honestly..these days..the breakfast buffet at Hampton Inn or the Belgian Waffles I can make myself at some of the other places....are just fine with me
regular_smile.gif

Therein lies the problem. If people are willing to settle for the breakfasts the motels are offering now and call them good enough, we are doomed. Why knock ourselves out to do a wonderful breakfast if the Hampton and the cook your own waffles are good enough.
The reason I will continue to keep the gluten-free ingredients on hand and bend over backwards to accommodate special diet needs is that THAT is what sets me apart from the chain sleep warehouse boxes.
I can only hope that people will continue wanting something better than that..
gillumhouse said:
Honestly..these days..the breakfast buffet at Hampton Inn or the Belgian Waffles I can make myself at some of the other places....are just fine with me
regular_smile.gif

Therein lies the problem. If people are willing to settle for the breakfasts the motels are offering now and call them good enough, we are doomed. Why knock ourselves out to do a wonderful breakfast if the Hampton and the cook your own waffles are good enough.
The reason I will continue to keep the gluten-free ingredients on hand and bend over backwards to accommodate special diet needs is that THAT is what sets me apart from the chain sleep warehouse boxes.
I can only hope that people will continue wanting something better than that.
I KNEW you would do that which is why in the other thread I said 'some of us would'!
wink_smile.gif

Frankly, I still expect the B&B breakfast to be waaaaaaaaay better than anything the buffet at the hotel can dish up. Even if can make it myself. I've never even considered that a hotel breakfast could come close. Exceptions being VERY high end hotels.
Oh Of course I expect a B & B breakfast to be waaaaay better. But honestly, there are times when we travel now..
I want to eat when I want to eat, without having conversations with anyone. So mostly bypass B & B's right now....sorry:-(
We've been pretty good about accommodating breakfast at the time our guests want it :) It really is not that big a deal. Unless we have a full house, most of the time they end up having breakfast alone so they don't have to talk to anyonel

I don't think I've ever booked a hotel/b&b based on the breakfast. I'm a location/quality/price girl. BUT I do think that a B&B's breakfast description or page says a lot about the hospitality you'll get there, which IS a factor to me, especially since there's very little quality control over B&Bs.
If the rest of the website is attractive, informative and professional, I wouldn't notice the lack of breakfast info and assume continental or similar. But if the rest of the website is equally vague or seems to imply "we serve what we want, we clean when we want, we are hospitable when we feel like it" then I'd look for other options or check out their TA reviews.
I rarely book these days without checking reviews, and I trust them more than websites..
especially since there's very little quality control over B&Bs.
That is why you look for a B & B that is a member of an Association! Most Associations inspect their member inns as a measure of quality control. Not to ensure that all are alike, but to ensure that standards are being met in cleanliness, quality of linens, quality of dishes (we just make sure it is not Goodwill chipped and mixed), etc for the comfort of guests as well as their comfort level in booking with our members.
Some States don't have an association or the association isn't very active. Folks have to rely on the online reviews in that instance.
Just had a 2 room 4 night booking for our 2 largest suites - they read our reviews on TA. It is the 500 lb gorilla in the room - you can't ignore it! People DO look at those reviews!

if a place looked nice, i'd stay and eat what was served ... why not? could be enlightening ... and it's only for a little while.
i'm fairly easy going ... but i hope for something warm..
I'm like you...pretty easy going on the breakfast as long is it's presented well. Just don't give me cereal!! That's what I eat at home
regular_smile.gif

OK, what everyone seems to have missed here is that it was implied that there is no "quality control" over B & Bs. What I was saying is that if quality control is an important factor, look for a member of an association because they have standards that are to be kept and are usually inspected to be sure of it.
I was not indicating that if an inn was NOT a member that they were less than nice. I was saying that for the general public without an association membership - you do not know. They go to the HI, because they KNOW.
I know there are many reasons to not belong to an association - I am sure some are not worth their dues - and do not climb my back on that, I am saying some are not active and some are so snooty they won't do any more than take your money and some have such tight butt must haves that it is almost impossible for a little guy who may not even have enough rooms to satisfy! Others may have dues so high it is out of reach. Whatever the reason - that is life.
All I can say is, if at all possible, I think being a member of an association is a good thing and if they are not active, keep butting whatever heads you need to to GET it active! Do not settle for less than you feel you deserve. Make it happen!
OK, I am done.

OK, what everyone seems to have missed here is that it was implied that there is no "quality control" over B & Bs. What I was saying is that if quality control is an important factor, look for a member of an association because they have standards that are to be kept and are usually inspected to be sure of it.
I was not indicating that if an inn was NOT a member that they were less than nice. I was saying that for the general public without an association membership - you do not know. They go to the HI, because they KNOW.
I know there are many reasons to not belong to an association - I am sure some are not worth their dues - and do not climb my back on that, I am saying some are not active and some are so snooty they won't do any more than take your money and some have such tight butt must haves that it is almost impossible for a little guy who may not even have enough rooms to satisfy! Others may have dues so high it is out of reach. Whatever the reason - that is life.
All I can say is, if at all possible, I think being a member of an association is a good thing and if they are not active, keep butting whatever heads you need to to GET it active! Do not settle for less than you feel you deserve. Make it happen!
OK, I am done..
gillumhouse said:
OK, I am done.
I KNEW what you meant, but I wanted to make sure everyone else knew as well.

Back