Would you want to sleep in a (former) brothel?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
As some of you know, I own two old buildings downtown that I'm renovating to create guest accommodations. One will open this year (2012). The other, on the town square, will open as a B&B in 2013. That's the one I'm wanting to ask opinions on.
The building used to be a hotel and it's well known to local natives that the hotel housed the town bordello during the "roaring 20's". It's just one room, second floor, in the back (with a nice river view). My question is, should I remain silent about this aspect of the building's past, should I advertise it as part of the building's history, or something in between?
I can see where some people might not want to sleep in a room that saw so much "action" 90 years ago, while others would enjoy knowing the history as they recreate some of that action!
How would you handle such a thing?

I might make your "Bordello's" past a footnote to the other aspects that will sell your B+B. While it may be interesting to those who actually pay attention to the history of the place, I don't think I would want to make it a selling point. You could certainly mention the inn's " rumored, colored past" in a history section of the web site and you might attract some guests who bother to read the web site. But, I think I would focus on the fabulous brand new aspects of the B+B that set it apart from all the "shabby" older places you will be competing with. Good luck with the renovation....not for the faint of heart!

I wouldn't focus on that at all. The locals may know it as that, but no need to start business out with that idea. It doesn't matter what it was, only what you will make it. Now if someone in town happens to tell a guest, maybe you could say " that's what I have heard." but for me...just forget it.I wouldn't use that as marketing.

I used to work in a brothel.
800px-Primrose_House%2C_190_Russell_Avenue%2C_Dolls_Point%2C_New_South_Wales_%282010-11-28%29_01.jpg

Primrose House
Okay read on...the historic building calls Primrose House on Dolls Point on Botany Bay south of Sydney. It was a hospital, a brothel, a mental institution and many other things during and after the war.
Things went on around here where I live now, just the same. In the hey day of this town. I often wonder what to market, what to let be a surprise and what the not mention. Ie the room that was a nursery where family was born and often died. Then the cemetery which is right behind us and an historic cemetery where some guests adore it and others are frightened of it. So I do not mention it other than "Quiet neighbors."
Are you planning on finding some very conservative people offended by the brothel which was yonks ago? Are there other rooms they can stay in? If it were me, from the marketing standpoint, I would USE IT. I would market the brothel aspect, carefully so that any town officials do not confuse current use - which is an issue in small towns, people assume a boarding house/guest house IS A BROTHEL. In other words, market it AFTER the fact and be careful, do more IN THE ROOM itself to decorate it in a themed fashion.
That is what I would do. and yes I would stay in it. and yes I am conservative. I found photos of the "operating theatre" guest room we stayed, which was also a house of ill repute part of the time during WWII in Townsville, Queensland which really spawned the whole B&B venture for us...

I used to work in a brothel.
800px-Primrose_House%2C_190_Russell_Avenue%2C_Dolls_Point%2C_New_South_Wales_%282010-11-28%29_01.jpg

Primrose House
Okay read on...the historic building calls Primrose House on Dolls Point on Botany Bay south of Sydney. It was a hospital, a brothel, a mental institution and many other things during and after the war.
Things went on around here where I live now, just the same. In the hey day of this town. I often wonder what to market, what to let be a surprise and what the not mention. Ie the room that was a nursery where family was born and often died. Then the cemetery which is right behind us and an historic cemetery where some guests adore it and others are frightened of it. So I do not mention it other than "Quiet neighbors."
Are you planning on finding some very conservative people offended by the brothel which was yonks ago? Are there other rooms they can stay in? If it were me, from the marketing standpoint, I would USE IT. I would market the brothel aspect, carefully so that any town officials do not confuse current use - which is an issue in small towns, people assume a boarding house/guest house IS A BROTHEL. In other words, market it AFTER the fact and be careful, do more IN THE ROOM itself to decorate it in a themed fashion.
That is what I would do. and yes I would stay in it. and yes I am conservative. I found photos of the "operating theatre" guest room we stayed, which was also a house of ill repute part of the time during WWII in Townsville, Queensland which really spawned the whole B&B venture for us....
I hadn't thought about it, but I'm sure there's been lots of death in the old houses that are now bnb's. Most births used to be at home, and neonatal mortality used to be much higher than today. Likewise, the dead used to lie in state in the home parlor, not at a commercial funeral parlor.
This is similar to the question of hauntings. If your old building is said to be home to a ghost, would you play that up and attract people who are in to stuff like that? That topic comes up here occasionally and there's no clear answer. Most just say they only bring it up, with a wink, if someone asks about it.
One possibility, in my case, might be to make some sort of mention of it in the on-line description of that particular room, and folks who don't like it can stay in one of the other rooms (as if nothing has ever gone on in the other rooms except reading books and sleeping).

I might put it in a web page of "historic notes" treating the inn property as a whole and a by-the-way in the [very clever, subtle name] room ... At least have old photos, newspaper clippings, and the "behind the story historical note" in a framed collage in the room. History is cool to guests. Advertise all new matresses, though.

I might put it in a web page of "historic notes" treating the inn property as a whole and a by-the-way in the [very clever, subtle name] room ... At least have old photos, newspaper clippings, and the "behind the story historical note" in a framed collage in the room. History is cool to guests. Advertise all new matresses, though..
Tom said:
...Advertise all new matresses, though.
Ha! Great point!

Anyone famous among the "visitors"? A well-known "lady?" Play up a ghost at Halloween and let it fade away the rest of the year.
I am a firm believer in "if you have it, use it".

Anyone famous among the "visitors"? A well-known "lady?" Play up a ghost at Halloween and let it fade away the rest of the year.
I am a firm believer in "if you have it, use it"..
gillumhouse said:
The ladies involved would not have been famous (except among their clients) and the clients, if they were famous, ain't talkin'
Looking for a name to give the room, I Googled "most famous prostitutes" but didn't come of with any I've met before. ;-)
One other interesting thing I found when I bought the building was that there was a "false wall" down one side of the room in question, an area 4 feet wide x 15 feet long. There was no way to get into this space and I didn't even realize it was there until I noticed that the same room on the opposite side of the building had more space between the window and the corner than the brothel room.
With dreams of finding perhaps a walled-off dead body, or a chest of Confederate gold, I finally broke through the wall into the mystery space. Like Al Capone's vault that embarrassed Geraldo many years ago, my mystery room was completely empty. The space shares another wall with the shared bathroom next door and I've speculated that it was either a place for husbands to hide if their wives came looking for them, or the mistress might have sold tickets to peeping Toms who hid in there.
Who knows. But makes a great story!

Personally, I think... mention it as an interesting note about the past life of the building. It's part of the past and people love to hear a story about the history of the building.
I wouldn't put it as the first thing I mention, but certainly as part of the history. You will be amazed at how many people will find that interesting. And that particular room, you could doll up like a real boudoir and get a few extra buck from it, too. Black and red!

gillumhouse said:
The ladies involved would not have been famous (except among their clients) and the clients, if they were famous, ain't talkin'
Looking for a name to give the room, I Googled "most famous prostitutes" but didn't come of with any I've met before. ;-)
One other interesting thing I found when I bought the building was that there was a "false wall" down one side of the room in question, an area 4 feet wide x 15 feet long. There was no way to get into this space and I didn't even realize it was there until I noticed that the same room on the opposite side of the building had more space between the window and the corner than the brothel room.
With dreams of finding perhaps a walled-off dead body, or a chest of Confederate gold, I finally broke through the wall into the mystery space. Like Al Capone's vault that embarrassed Geraldo many years ago, my mystery room was completely empty. The space shares another wall with the shared bathroom next door and I've speculated that it was either a place for husbands to hide if their wives came looking for them, or the mistress might have sold tickets to peeping Toms who hid in there.
I will say, looking forward to your blog article on this one!

gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, that's why I thought I better ask before I blogged. Didn't want to put it out there if several thought it was a bad idea. Certainly it wouldn't be a prime thing to advertise, but it's interesting enough to at least mention, along with the whiskey bottles.
Then there's the St. Charles Massacre to mix in to this: union soldiers inside the hotel (my building) shot down 7 or 8 rebel soldiers outside, reportedly coming to surrender, during the civil war. I'm really hoping to market the B&B to history travelers.

gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, that's why I thought I better ask before I blogged. Didn't want to put it out there if several thought it was a bad idea. Certainly it wouldn't be a prime thing to advertise, but it's interesting enough to at least mention, along with the whiskey bottles.
Then there's the St. Charles Massacre to mix in to this: union soldiers inside the hotel (my building) shot down 7 or 8 rebel soldiers outside, reportedly coming to surrender, during the civil war. I'm really hoping to market the B&B to history travelers.
I'm with most everyone else on mentioning this as part of the history and playing it up in that particular room.

gillumhouse said:
Is the room fairly large? Make it a real sexy room with HIGH rent. Mirror on the ceiling etc. There was a place in one of the southwest suburbs of Chicago called the Sybaris that was RAW SEX in the decor and no bones about it. the rates depended on if you wanted for the night or 4 hours (in the early 90s it was something like $350 or $400 for 4 hours). It was a popular anniversary, landmark birthday, or tryst getaway place. It made its money on mirrors, sunken tubs, etc I inquired for a DH birthday or an anniversary (can't remember which) and that is how I know a bit about price - it was out of MY range.

gillumhouse said:
Is the room fairly large? Make it a real sexy room with HIGH rent. Mirror on the ceiling etc. There was a place in one of the southwest suburbs of Chicago called the Sybaris that was RAW SEX in the decor and no bones about it. the rates depended on if you wanted for the night or 4 hours (in the early 90s it was something like $350 or $400 for 4 hours). It was a popular anniversary, landmark birthday, or tryst getaway place. It made its money on mirrors, sunken tubs, etc I inquired for a DH birthday or an anniversary (can't remember which) and that is how I know a bit about price - it was out of MY range.
gillumhouse said:
Is the room fairly large? Make it a real sexy room with HIGH rent. Mirror on the ceiling etc.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
It's a fairly large room, but good lord, this is small-town Arkansas!

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Is the room fairly large? Make it a real sexy room with HIGH rent. Mirror on the ceiling etc.
As if they do not do SEXY in small town Arkansas? Besides, if you are like the rest of us, locals are not your guests anyway. Call it the Sybaris Room and make it your MOST expensive.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
As if they do not do SEXY in small town Arkansas? Besides, if you are like the rest of us, locals are not your guests anyway. Call it the Sybaris Room and make it your MOST expensive.
gillumhouse said:
And make sure it is well insulated!

gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I would do it as maybe if you have a lot of history a booklet of the history of the building with maybe a section in that room in the guest information. Do maybe a brief history of the building in a blog article but I would have another article ready to come after it so that it is not the first thing that hits you in the eye.

Would you want to sleep in a brothel?
With who?
(sorry I was waiting for someone to say this)
teeth_smile.gif

The idea of recreating the Bordello would work (and does) if you were in say - Vegas, New Orleans etc. but I agree Arkie, not in small town AK.
But I would place this in your historical facts for the room or building history. People love hearing about the history of a place. I can see you having a lot of fun writing about "if these walls could talk"....

Back