Wouldn't you ask this BEFORE planning your trip???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Guests from 8 hours north of here, who have been booked since March arrive yesterday afternoon on a motorcycle. They are pleasant enough (but a touch weird, in keeping with our theme this year, just a little off from the norm of guests we typically get from that area). About an hour after check in they ring the front bell to ask if I can call them a cab so they can go into town for dinner since it looks like it might storm and they don't want to get wet on their bike.
I couldn't stop myself, I laughed out loud. Our town is 7,500 people and about 5 square miles from one end to the other...we have ZERO public transportation here. They just looked at me dumbfounded. I showed them the easiest route to walk (it is only 1 mile from us into town) but that was too far.
To come that far on a bike, wouldn't you make sure you had contingencies like this lined up ahead of time???

I hear that! We are a mountain lodge in a remote area. You can get here on a bus (takes some doing and several transfers), but there is absolutely no public transportation. Cabs? none for miles!

City slickers. Obv planned on drinking, so at least they were trying to be responsible. I give them credit for that.

We just got a town cab, but did not have one before that unless you called another town and hoped that person wanted to come over here. Almost everything here is less than a mile. But, like you said, coming all that way on a motorcycle and then being afraid of getting wet is just weird.

We have motorcyclists and they have boots and leathers and when they go to dinner they just want to wear shorts and flip flops. I don't think it is that odd really. They arrive and want to be OFF their bikes after 8 hours+ of sitting on them. Plus, add in the drinks at dinner factor.

I guess what's tripping me up is that if I were planning a multi-country, multi-state, thousands of miles on a bike vacation, I'd want to be SURE I'd have everything I want/need to be comfortable at the end of each leg. They were fine, and luckily looks like no rain today so they should not have issues.

You know what else is funny? How people won't even consider walking a mile. To be honest, although we walk a lot, the idea of a mile would put me off, too, until my husband said, Come on, it's a fifteen minute walk. Well, he's right, unless you're moseying along.
Won't help avoid rain and I wouldn't want to do it in heels, but a mile walk really isn't far at all.

You know what else is funny? How people won't even consider walking a mile. To be honest, although we walk a lot, the idea of a mile would put me off, too, until my husband said, Come on, it's a fifteen minute walk. Well, he's right, unless you're moseying along.
Won't help avoid rain and I wouldn't want to do it in heels, but a mile walk really isn't far at all..
Red Handed Jill said:
Won't help avoid rain and I wouldn't want to do it in heels, but a mile walk really isn't far at all.
We go thru this every single day here. I show the guest on a map where everything is. 1/2 mile from here to where the 'walkable' shopping ends. After that, you really want a car to carry your stuff back. But, WALK a half mile??? Am I kidding people? They all want to know where the parking is. So, the, 'It'll take you 10 minutes if you don't stop,' comment goes right over the head.
They end up taking the car and parking just as far away in the way back of the parking lots! But, they have the car with them so it doesn't feel as far.
I get that you just got a new hip, knee, whatever. It's the ones who just do not walk anywhere but from the door to the car to the door that get me.

Our town is so much smaller than 7500 that seems like a pretty big town. The closest town nearby of any size is around 1200 people. All the sidewalks around here are rolled up pretty early.
And yet, do folks ask where they can get prime rib on a Tuesday night? Yes, they do. (and the correct answer is nowhere)
Do they ask for a call about a cab? Oh, yes, they do. It's hard to hold back the laughter but most of the time I do.
Why don't they plan better? That would make entirely too much sense, I'm afraid.

Our town is so much smaller than 7500 that seems like a pretty big town. The closest town nearby of any size is around 1200 people. All the sidewalks around here are rolled up pretty early.
And yet, do folks ask where they can get prime rib on a Tuesday night? Yes, they do. (and the correct answer is nowhere)
Do they ask for a call about a cab? Oh, yes, they do. It's hard to hold back the laughter but most of the time I do.
Why don't they plan better? That would make entirely too much sense, I'm afraid..
Yeah it's funny when the NOVA/DC crowds arrive here.....they wonder what is there to do after 10 PM....nothing!! Go to bed:) Actually now there is an actual bar that is open until 10 :)

Why don't they plan better? That would make entirely too much sense, I'm afraid..
Yeah it's funny when the NOVA/DC crowds arrive here.....they wonder what is there to do after 10 PM....nothing!! Go to bed:) Actually now there is an actual bar that is open until 10 :)
We get the SanFran crowd. Most thoroughly love the quiet, the delightful food in small cafes, and just being in nature.
But every now and then, it's the pure idjot who really should have just stayed in the city.
What? How can cell phones not work here? Very easily. The entire community fights every effort to build a tower and we always will.

No rain today thankfully so things worked out okay for them. I think the drinking is nixed as well, they are on a super low carb diet and had eggs and ham for brekky.

No Prime Rib?..............no Dry Aged Steaks?
This can't be...........

Our little and I mean LITTLE town in poduk WV had 300 people no store close no restaurant within 15 miles and absolutely NO CELL PHONE SERVICE. We stated that on our website-a couple on a bike did show up happy, but a storm came in and they really didn't want to drive these hilly curvy roads to get something to eat so they came over from the guest house (100 ft from the main house) knocking on the door and asked:
"Is there anywhere that delivers?"
we almost busted out LAUGHING. but we didn't we just said no sorry no delivery here...goes to show you that somethings you just take for granted...ha ha

Our little and I mean LITTLE town in poduk WV had 300 people no store close no restaurant within 15 miles and absolutely NO CELL PHONE SERVICE. We stated that on our website-a couple on a bike did show up happy, but a storm came in and they really didn't want to drive these hilly curvy roads to get something to eat so they came over from the guest house (100 ft from the main house) knocking on the door and asked:
"Is there anywhere that delivers?"
we almost busted out LAUGHING. but we didn't we just said no sorry no delivery here...goes to show you that somethings you just take for granted...ha ha.
birdwatcher said:
we almost busted out LAUGHING. but we didn't we just said no sorry no delivery here...goes to show you that somethings you just take for granted...ha ha
Another of my guest faves. Don't see anything in the guest book about pizza delivery, can you help me out?
Look around people. Does this look like an urban area to you?????

Won't help avoid rain and I wouldn't want to do it in heels, but a mile walk really isn't far at all..
Red Handed Jill said:
We go thru this every single day here. I show the guest on a map where everything is. 1/2 mile from here to where the 'walkable' shopping ends. After that, you really want a car to carry your stuff back. But, WALK a half mile??? Am I kidding people? They all want to know where the parking is. So, the, 'It'll take you 10 minutes if you don't stop,' comment goes right over the head.
They end up taking the car and parking just as far away in the way back of the parking lots! But, they have the car with them so it doesn't feel as far.
I get that you just got a new hip, knee, whatever. It's the ones who just do not walk anywhere but from the door to the car to the door that get me.
Had a stellar review on TA with all 5 bubbles or whatever. In the "what didn't you like" note, it said that you couldn't walk to a movie theater. Talk about you're kidding me! I laughed out loud when I saw that. I mean, we're in an urban location but we're not DC or NYC or something. I do keep lobbying a friend of mine who owns one of the old theatres downtown to open it and show independent films or put something in there like Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. He's thinking......
People can walk to all kinds of things here except mall shopping and movie metroplexes. They only time that I actually discouraged them from walking was when it was hideously hot. People that are not used to a 15 minute walk in this heat can keel over.

We get the SanFran crowd. Most thoroughly love the quiet, the delightful food in small cafes, and just being in nature.
But every now and then, it's the pure idjot who really should have just stayed in the city.
What? How can cell phones not work here? Very easily. The entire community fights every effort to build a tower and we always will.
We're going to be in the Bay Area in Sept when my dh is there for a conference. Driving up to some of our old stomping grounds in the wine country and visiting friends in Sebastopol. I can't wait!

We're going to be in the Bay Area in Sept when my dh is there for a conference. Driving up to some of our old stomping grounds in the wine country and visiting friends in Sebastopol. I can't wait!
Cool. September is such a great time to visit wine country.

We are in a city of about 2400 and have 5 restaurants, 3 pizza places, and a hot dog eatery - no cab, but we do have a limited bus service. Limited to several runs a day but nothing after 5.

Just had a call asking about curfews. Bless their hearts.
If you lock your guests out shame on you!

Back