Wow! That was fast!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mind sharing how you set up your blog?
Do you do from your website? Do you do it from an outside type of website? How do you get it noticed? I did a couple blogs a year ago, but felt like they weren't getting read and one was on free things to do in my city.
I don't have time to waste, but will invest it if I know what I write is worthwhile to someone.
Thanks..
Doesn't matter whether it is from within your site or on another...there is a correct way to set them up and do them.
Check out some good blogs...then you will know how it can work well. Here's a cool one.

Do you do from your website? Do you do it from an outside type of website? How do you get it noticed? I did a couple blogs a year ago, but felt like they weren't getting read and one was on free things to do in my city.
I don't have time to waste, but will invest it if I know what I write is worthwhile to someone.
Thanks..
The wonderful web designer who designed my site gave me Wordpress as part of it. I just go into my admin, click on Blog and it brings up Wordpress. I log in and insert.
I usually write it in Word first to get my thoughts together, check spelling (I have a problem with both "fat fingers" and a pinkie that does always connect with the a in a word), and organize thoughts. Then I copy/paste it into
Wordpress and insert pictures if I have any, click on what categories it fits and click publish. I write about whatever grabs me. About my area, other inns, programs I attended, up-coming events, or like last night, the results of our City election. I can tell from my tracking that many locals look to my blog to see what is happening - so the election results (unofficial) were posted.

Thanks..
The wonderful web designer who designed my site gave me Wordpress as part of it. I just go into my admin, click on Blog and it brings up Wordpress. I log in and insert.
I usually write it in Word first to get my thoughts together, check spelling (I have a problem with both "fat fingers" and a pinkie that does always connect with the a in a word), and organize thoughts. Then I copy/paste it into
Wordpress and insert pictures if I have any, click on what categories it fits and click publish. I write about whatever grabs me. About my area, other inns, programs I attended, up-coming events, or like last night, the results of our City election. I can tell from my tracking that many locals look to my blog to see what is happening - so the election results (unofficial) were posted.
Thank you. I will look into this.

Thanks..
How do you get it noticed? I did a couple blogs a year ago, but felt like they weren't getting read and one was on free things to do in my city.
A couple of blog posts alone will likely not get noticed. It will take a while for the blog to aquire some history/age. And it will take a while for you to generate some content. What does "feeling like they weren't getting read" actually mean? Is it that you talked to some of your guests and they said they hadn't read them? Or was it that your tracker said they hadn't been read? Data is really helpful in these kind of decisions.
Any given blog post may only draw in a few people a month, but in the course of a year if you blog even moderately you can have 50 posts that each draw in 4 people a month and you are already up in the kinds of referal numbers you might get from some of the paid directories. (granted the conversion numbers may not be as high from a directory). If what you write is a service to guests or potential guests, then you are usually in good shape.
"If you build it, they will come." is NOT a guarantee, but "If you don't build it, they won't come" IS. ;)

Thanks..
How do you get it noticed? I did a couple blogs a year ago, but felt like they weren't getting read and one was on free things to do in my city.
A couple of blog posts alone will likely not get noticed. It will take a while for the blog to aquire some history/age. And it will take a while for you to generate some content. What does "feeling like they weren't getting read" actually mean? Is it that you talked to some of your guests and they said they hadn't read them? Or was it that your tracker said they hadn't been read? Data is really helpful in these kind of decisions.
Any given blog post may only draw in a few people a month, but in the course of a year if you blog even moderately you can have 50 posts that each draw in 4 people a month and you are already up in the kinds of referal numbers you might get from some of the paid directories. (granted the conversion numbers may not be as high from a directory). If what you write is a service to guests or potential guests, then you are usually in good shape.
"If you build it, they will come." is NOT a guarantee, but "If you don't build it, they won't come" IS. ;)
Most of my guests don't even know I have a blog. (You know me, the one who no one seems to find the website, much less anything else!) When they are here and I show it to them, they are astonished at what they missed. I use the blog as a basis for my newsletters and a creative outlet and to get me out of the house to go see stuff I might not go to see.

Thanks..
Most of my guests don't even know I have a blog. (You know me, the one who no one seems to find the website, much less anything else!) When they are here and I show it to them, they are astonished at what they missed. I use the blog as a basis for my newsletters and a creative outlet and to get me out of the house to go see stuff I might not go to see.
Forgive me not having looked, but what do you do differently between the blog and the newsletter?

Thanks..
"If you build it, they will come." is NOT a guarantee, but "If you don't build it, they won't come" IS.
wink_smile.gif

I maintain that if you build it they will come
IF you tell them it is there!
I get hits on my blog on blogs I posted months ago. For instance, I wrote about a living history program our museum did last November with a lady portraying a decorated Army nurse born in my State. I am STILL getting hits from that as people search on her name.

Thanks..
Forgive me not having looked, but what do you do differently between the blog and the newsletter?
The blog is lists of things to do with photos and directions. The newsletter is basically a link to the blog and then some fun stories about what we've been doing lately.

HAPPY DAIRY MONTH Y'ALL!
(June is dairy month if anyone is in dairy country and wants to blog about it. We are in dairy country and I need to find something about it to blog on, any ideas?).
Ice cream! Different vendors, different flavors. Comparison with 'brand names.' A taste test map.
Morticia said:
Ice cream! Different vendors, different flavors. Comparison with 'brand names.' A taste test map.
Dairy Queen? LOL
We have one local creamery, but the dairies here sell the milk out of state. We have COWS And stinky manure tho!
A local "official" landmark / street direction just down the road from us is "Cow Shit Corner".
The Tipsy Butler said:
A local "official" landmark / street direction just down the road from us is "Cow Shit Corner".
cheers.gif
now THAT was funny! Hey the filter is off when I reply...so THAT's WHAT YOU SAID! haha
A picture says a thousand words.
cscorner_sign_400.jpg

I love It!!!

Back