Yeah !!!! Victory but need advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
I'll keep it short.
First door at the top of the stairs WAS my housekeeping room - a premium space location-wise.
Our "premiere" room is The Maid's Room.
The housekeeping room had a door that opened into The Maid's Room bathroom (never used but available as an emergency exit).
As of this morning, the housekeeping room is now a bedroom that will only be sold with The Maid's Room if someone wants a suite ... ie a king bedded room and a single room with a bathroom that connects the two, but each room has its own separate entrance. It came out wonderfully. Plenty of room for a good day bed, bedside table, coffee table, chair. It already had a cedar closet. Down the road I will put in a flat screen TV, but for now, I'm pontificating about what to charge.
Thoughts appreciated.
....... BTW - suites / 2 separate bed options are a common request around here ..... and I currently charge $35 for a third person in one of our other rooms (shared space)
p.s. - apologies in advance if I don't respond quickly. Still dealing with repercussions from The Hit. My computer gave up the ghost a couple of days ago and this thing I'm using feels like it dates back to the ice age.

Put it as a 'Junior Suite' (or whatever they're called) and raise the Maid's Room price at least $75. It can be used either for a third person or as extra room for the king room. You could still charge the extra $35 if you get an actual 3rd person in there. But make sure you get enough in case whoever takes the Maid's Room decides spouse snores and must sleep in the other room! You don't want the extra work without the extra bucks.
Where the heck are you storing the linens now?

Excellent UK MAINEIAC!
Question, do you think instead of just trying to accomodate a 3rd person, someone might like it just because it is now a SUITE and has more room for them? Do you think that is more likely, or more for an additional person? I would cahrge more for it across the board, and NOT charge for the third person if they use it, like Ikers said, $75 raised room rate.
But you said it is your most popular room, will is drop in popularity as a higher room rate? Hm...I see your dilemma, but it is a GOOD ONE TO HAVE.

Excellent UK MAINEIAC!
Question, do you think instead of just trying to accomodate a 3rd person, someone might like it just because it is now a SUITE and has more room for them? Do you think that is more likely, or more for an additional person? I would cahrge more for it across the board, and NOT charge for the third person if they use it, like Ikers said, $75 raised room rate.
But you said it is your most popular room, will is drop in popularity as a higher room rate? Hm...I see your dilemma, but it is a GOOD ONE TO HAVE..
Hate to say this, but is this one room you can have a small table and chairs for breakfats delivery (as people will book it and pay more to have it delivered, so offer it in only that room). Just thinking aloud here...

Put it as a 'Junior Suite' (or whatever they're called) and raise the Maid's Room price at least $75. It can be used either for a third person or as extra room for the king room. You could still charge the extra $35 if you get an actual 3rd person in there. But make sure you get enough in case whoever takes the Maid's Room decides spouse snores and must sleep in the other room! You don't want the extra work without the extra bucks.
Where the heck are you storing the linens now?.
Do you remember the Happy Room / Dumping Room above the kitchen and between the Cook's Room and the barn? That now has all the stuff from the old housekeeping closet and will also have the ironing board and my elliptical. It's going to be more inconvenient for housekeeping but makes sense for everything else.

Excellent UK MAINEIAC!
But you said it is your most popular room, will is drop in popularity as a higher room rate? Hm...I see your dilemma, but it is a GOOD ONE TO HAVE..
She could do multiple rates...as a king room or as a suite. If they only want the king room, lock the door to the 'suite' part.

Do you remember the Happy Room / Dumping Room above the kitchen and between the Cook's Room and the barn? That now has all the stuff from the old housekeeping closet and will also have the ironing board and my elliptical. It's going to be more inconvenient for housekeeping but makes sense for everything else.
Yes. I do recall that room. There's your next suite, right? ;-)

Excellent UK MAINEIAC!
She could do multiple rates...as a king room or as a suite. If they only want the king room, lock the door to the 'suite' part.
That's the idea. The intention is really to have the two rooms available when someone asked. I get a fair number of requests for a two room suite of any shape or description.

Yes. I do recall that room. There's your next suite, right? ;-)
In theory - YES !!!! It will adjoin the Cook's Room but will need some add'l work. The one I just did was a simple clean and move.

love it ... i hope you'll post pix!
i travel alone and i love a suite or a studio for a long stay. i can be by myself without having to be confined to the bedroom area if i don't want to socialize all the time.

I am trying to decide if creating a 2-room suite which would have to be $175 per night min since the ensuite is $129 would be pricing me out of the market. IF I do it, the suite would have a queen in the bedroom and a pull-out sofa - prob a queen also - in the sitting room with an ensuite bathroom. It will take creating 2 doorways to do it.

I am trying to decide if creating a 2-room suite which would have to be $175 per night min since the ensuite is $129 would be pricing me out of the market. IF I do it, the suite would have a queen in the bedroom and a pull-out sofa - prob a queen also - in the sitting room with an ensuite bathroom. It will take creating 2 doorways to do it..
The room is already $205 on a high season weekend .... but I do have less expensive rooms. The theory is that I keep The Maid's Room where it already is price wise - for just that room - BUT I no longer have to turn away people that (for whatever reason) want seperate sleeping quarters without paying for two rooms. All I've lost is convenience .... but based on experience, I've hopefully added an extra amenity that is in demand ..... couples that are used to separate rooms, older children, snoring spouses, BFFs that don't want to be THAT close etc etc.
SO The Scullery Maid's Room becomes an optional add-on. It's not a requirement.

I am trying to decide if creating a 2-room suite which would have to be $175 per night min since the ensuite is $129 would be pricing me out of the market. IF I do it, the suite would have a queen in the bedroom and a pull-out sofa - prob a queen also - in the sitting room with an ensuite bathroom. It will take creating 2 doorways to do it..
The room is already $205 on a high season weekend .... but I do have less expensive rooms. The theory is that I keep The Maid's Room where it already is price wise - for just that room - BUT I no longer have to turn away people that (for whatever reason) want seperate sleeping quarters without paying for two rooms. All I've lost is convenience .... but based on experience, I've hopefully added an extra amenity that is in demand ..... couples that are used to separate rooms, older children, snoring spouses, BFFs that don't want to be THAT close etc etc.
I wasn't talking in relation to what you did other than to be saying I am having similar thoughts and similar questioning. Rates in your area differ greatly from mine. And mine will not be an either or - once I punch in those doors, it is a done deal. I am mulling and mulling, trying to figure what would be the best business decision since there is no way Rosi's will ever have a private baththe way things are - unless I tear up the tile floor fom 2006 and rip out the 60 inch shower, re-plumb that bathroom to make 2 tiny bathrooms. And then it would still be a detached down the hall, not across the hall even. Uncertainy.

You know what seems to be a serious problem round here is "restless leg syndrome" where they have to get up in the night and walk about so would like separate rooms for that reason ie not to disturb the other half. Plus snorers (not sure of spelling)

Scullery Maid. Perfect!

Speaking of rooms...a room left for the day and took one of our bath towels with them. We made up their room and just gave them ONE clean towel and removed the one that was used on the floor. Am I mean? Yes. Ya know we have beach towels, IF THEY FORGOT to bring one to go to the lake today, we could have loaned them one, but because they didn't even bother to ask and took one of our new bath towels...they get one towel to use tonight. After being out in 95 degrees and water all day. Hey they have one already, right?
Sorry, I know it is petty, yes, it is, but don't TAKE OUR TOWELS out of our rooms. Do we need a flippin' sign for THAT now?

Speaking of rooms...a room left for the day and took one of our bath towels with them. We made up their room and just gave them ONE clean towel and removed the one that was used on the floor. Am I mean? Yes. Ya know we have beach towels, IF THEY FORGOT to bring one to go to the lake today, we could have loaned them one, but because they didn't even bother to ask and took one of our new bath towels...they get one towel to use tonight. After being out in 95 degrees and water all day. Hey they have one already, right?
Sorry, I know it is petty, yes, it is, but don't TAKE OUR TOWELS out of our rooms. Do we need a flippin' sign for THAT now?.
Can you put some beach towels in a basket for people to help themselves and add it to your room info? Problem solved....

Back