Year of last renovation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Question: I noticed on BBonline.com the inns for sale section they have the little side ticker with the B&B details - how many rooms, sq footage etc. One line is "Year of last renovation" - What would you say this year actually meant? I mean major overall or modification? These old dinosaurs are always undergoing renovations/additions/modifications.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Question: I noticed on BBonline.com the inns for sale section they have the little side ticker with the B&B details - how many rooms, sq footage etc. One line is "Year of last renovation" - What would you say this year actually meant? I mean major overall or modification? These old dinosaurs are always undergoing renovations/additions/modifications.
I think it is up to the poster. But hopefully they are indicative of some MAJOR updates.

I say 2006 as my last date of renovation - the year of the bathrooms!

I always put the last year of a 'big' redo...like the kitchen or all new carpet and completely repainting all the bathrooms.

See this would be each and every year then...there is always a major project each year and renos

See this would be each and every year then...there is always a major project each year and renos.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
See this would be each and every year then...there is always a major project each year and renos
Believe me, and I know you have seen this yourself...NOT everyone does even basic maintenance every year! If you ever go back to a place (I used to do this) I could rely on certain items being in certain locations, certain chairs to still be wobbly, etc.
We JUST fixed a shower door that has been driving us nuts for 4 years. It had to be completely disassembled to get it to run in the track properly. We've had guests thank us for fixing things that drove THEM crazy! (Of course they never mentioned those things to us, but they DID thank us when we fixed them!)
Simple things we never noticed because we always have our shoes on...the bathroom floors in 2 rooms are ice cold in the winter. Finally, my SIL told me and we put down bath rugs in one bathroom and another guest grumbled at us that it would be NICE if we had some sort of rug on the floor. (Same guest then proceeded to pee on the rug we put down, go figure.)

I would think some kind of major reno, not just routine maintenance. Even your porch flooring replacement would fall in the maintenance area, I'm afraid. It would have to be overhauling a bathroom, putting in a pool or major grounds feature, opening another guest room (like your cottage), stuff like that.

Back