Yes, It's really true!!!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
AARRGGHH!! I'm so sick of people calling and saying they're on our website and then asking "I want the xyz room, but I see it's booked. Is that right?" OR "I want just a Sat night stay on the holiday weekend, but your site says it's a 2 night minimum...Is that right?" OR "I see that kids are only allowed in the cottage, but that's too expensive, is that right we would have to book the cottage?"
YES PEOPLE, IT REALLY IS TRUE! BELIEVE IT!
Sorry, vent over...I just 3 calls in a row like that.

When we slow down a bit I am adding a new link on the home page for those folks who 'only want to check availability'. That is where I will add the info HF uses to state I will be looking at the very same calendar if they call me.
I will also be adding info that, yes, ALL of our rooms have windows in them!!! We're not so busy that you have to sleep in a closet!
I get all of your calls as well. Had one last night where the caller wanted to put 4 adults and a child in one room. I kept telling him the room was only for 4, no more. He kept arguing it was just a baby, a little kid. I finally had to say that we consider children to be humans and only four humans can be in that room at one time, no matter the size.
Maybe that's what I have to put on the website - humans. Not guests, because kids are luggage not guests.

I can so relate to the same calls. I tell them "I'm sorry we don't have any rooms available for the dates they're looking for" and they reply.... "so you have nothing at all" We're half way through the season and my fuse is getting shorter and shorter.

I can so relate to the same calls. I tell them "I'm sorry we don't have any rooms available for the dates they're looking for" and they reply.... "so you have nothing at all" We're half way through the season and my fuse is getting shorter and shorter..
Baygirl said:
We're half way through the season and my fuse is getting shorter and shorter.
That's my problem. A friend just called me to say she didn't get my FB post today and I practically took her head off. I have to go sit down...for a week!

When we slow down a bit I am adding a new link on the home page for those folks who 'only want to check availability'. That is where I will add the info HF uses to state I will be looking at the very same calendar if they call me.
I will also be adding info that, yes, ALL of our rooms have windows in them!!! We're not so busy that you have to sleep in a closet!
I get all of your calls as well. Had one last night where the caller wanted to put 4 adults and a child in one room. I kept telling him the room was only for 4, no more. He kept arguing it was just a baby, a little kid. I finally had to say that we consider children to be humans and only four humans can be in that room at one time, no matter the size.
Maybe that's what I have to put on the website - humans. Not guests, because kids are luggage not guests..
Madeleine said:
Maybe that's what I have to put on the website - humans. Not guests, because kids are luggage not guests.
Maddie, I've started blaming the Fire Marshall. It is much easier to blame some figure than to say I have rules. The FM mandates I can only have 4 breathing humans in this room. Unless that baby is a sugar baby it is placed in the count.

Maybe that's what I have to put on the website - humans. Not guests, because kids are luggage not guests..
Madeleine said:
Maddie, I've started blaming the Fire Marshall. It is much easier to blame some figure than to say I have rules. The FM mandates I can only have 4 breathing humans in this room. Unless that baby is a sugar baby it is placed in the count.
You can also say your insurance only covers so many - our technical max is 24 but im covered for up to 30 just in case!

Madeleine said:
You can also say your insurance only covers so many - our technical max is 24 but im covered for up to 30 just in case!
That's the one I use, we're insured up to 6.
Yes people....a 2 yo is still a PERSON and just because he/she sleeps in your bed does not negate that fact.
No, I can't put 4 people in 1 double room even if you have got sleeping bags.
It's the ones that think they're going to pay for a double room and then put 3 people in it at the same price that really get my goat.
I've had two instances of people turn up with toddlers this year that weren't on the booking even though our conditions on our booking page clearly say no babies or young children When I do some jiggery pokery on the website this winter I'm going to amend the "persons" selector on my booking form from just persons 1 - 6 as it is now to
Adults
Children (over 10)
Children (Under 10)
and write the vaildation so that if people select >0 children under 10 it will say on the screen that we don't accept them and not allow them to continue.

Madeleine said:
That's the one I use, we're insured up to 6.
Yes people....a 2 yo is still a PERSON and just because he/she sleeps in your bed does not negate that fact.
No, I can't put 4 people in 1 double room even if you have got sleeping bags.
It's the ones that think they're going to pay for a double room and then put 3 people in it at the same price that really get my goat.
I've had two instances of people turn up with toddlers this year that weren't on the booking even though our conditions on our booking page clearly say no babies or young children When I do some jiggery pokery on the website this winter I'm going to amend the "persons" selector on my booking form from just persons 1 - 6 as it is now to
Adults
Children (over 10)
Children (Under 10)
and write the vaildation so that if people select >0 children under 10 it will say on the screen that we don't accept them and not allow them to continue.
weve just had this and Im pretty much steaming! nice couple and to be fair the child is imaculately well behaved and polite but its not the point! just turned up with her in tow and its all "thats fine isn't it?" you would be ruddy jiggered if it wasn't wouldnt you?

Amazing how many people don't consider their child another person! Even when we tell them the FM doesn't allow more than 3 per room they still try, and then get angry with us for saying no.

Amazing how many people don't consider their child another person! Even when we tell them the FM doesn't allow more than 3 per room they still try, and then get angry with us for saying no..
"Amazing how many people don't consider their child another person!"
I could not spoken it better myself (in my very strong opinionated belief about that) and as Dr Seuss says in Horton Hears a Who! “A person's a person, no matter how small.” ― Dr. Seuss,

Amazing how many people don't consider their child another person! Even when we tell them the FM doesn't allow more than 3 per room they still try, and then get angry with us for saying no..
I could not spoken it better myself (in my very strong opinionated belief about that) and as Dr Seuss says in Horton Hears a Who! “A person's a person, no matter how small.” ― Dr. Seuss,
Joey Bloggs said:
JB a great way to put a little humor in it great idea for the website...

We find that falls on cultural lines, sometimes, which irks me to no end.

And there is the answer for websites as to number of bodies in a room (assuming they are all breathing) -
[h2]
as Dr Seuss says in Horton Hears a Who! “A person's a person, no matter how small.”[/h2]

Back