Yes, You CAN FIGHT CITY HALL! BnB=small home occupation!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the part where they argue that anyone staying with you is doing so for 'a night's lodge, a good breakfast and an outstanding view of the Loess Hills'. They should write ad copy...
Good for you that you prevailed. It's an eye-opener to those looking to open a business, tho, at how neighbors can have a totally different take on what a B&B is. Hopefully, there are no hard feelings in the neighborhood now.

I like the part where they argue that anyone staying with you is doing so for 'a night's lodge, a good breakfast and an outstanding view of the Loess Hills'. They should write ad copy...
Good for you that you prevailed. It's an eye-opener to those looking to open a business, tho, at how neighbors can have a totally different take on what a B&B is. Hopefully, there are no hard feelings in the neighborhood now..
Before we moved here, we asked the mayor-pro-tem if there would be a problem. He said we might have one vote against us, otherwise it wouldn't be a problem. HE is the one who circulated the petition against us! Never trust what anyone says!
We went door to door for a meet and greet, giving everyone our background and our contact info. NOT ONE PERSON CONTACTED US or had any negative feedback. They all showed up at City Hall instead! (Well maybe 5-10 people.)

Good for you. You must be one of only a handful who have beaten the system!!! YEAH!!! Was the cost worth it??? Hope so.

Congratulations!! Ya done good! Legally! Does this also (I hope but doubt) make the City liable for your legal fees? I comgratulate you most for sticking to the principles of what is right.

Congratulations!! Ya done good! Legally! Does this also (I hope but doubt) make the City liable for your legal fees? I comgratulate you most for sticking to the principles of what is right..
Thanks Peggy and Gillam,
Legal fees? I think not, lol! (I'll have to check.) The local judge really didn't want us to appeal it, I don't think. He made us post a $10,000 bond for legal fees that probably wouldn't exceed $300. Thank goodness I do this that and the other on the side and squirrel money away in various CDs. If so, that would really be icing on the cake. Peggy asked me about this a week or two ago, but really didn't want to go "too public," until the deadline for an appeal passed.

Congratulations!! Ya done good! Legally! Does this also (I hope but doubt) make the City liable for your legal fees? I comgratulate you most for sticking to the principles of what is right..
Thanks Peggy and Gillam,
Legal fees? I think not, lol! (I'll have to check.) The local judge really didn't want us to appeal it, I don't think. He made us post a $10,000 bond for legal fees that probably wouldn't exceed $300. Thank goodness I do this that and the other on the side and squirrel money away in various CDs. If so, that would really be icing on the cake. Peggy asked me about this a week or two ago, but really didn't want to go "too public," until the deadline for an appeal passed.
I get so agravated with government employees who have to find some problem to justify their job or ones that won't use common sense or ones that use their job as a point of power because they can.

Could you e-mail me this link. We have a lady in our state that is having a very hard time. The local gov tells her that she has to go through Home Land Security to obtain a variance or install sprinkle system and so on. Big run around and I feel for her. I would like to send this to her. I could not get the link to work.

Could you e-mail me this link. We have a lady in our state that is having a very hard time. The local gov tells her that she has to go through Home Land Security to obtain a variance or install sprinkle system and so on. Big run around and I feel for her. I would like to send this to her. I could not get the link to work..
sandynn said:
I could not get the link to work.
I believe the post you're replying to is nearly 3 years old. No wonder the link is dead!

Could you e-mail me this link. We have a lady in our state that is having a very hard time. The local gov tells her that she has to go through Home Land Security to obtain a variance or install sprinkle system and so on. Big run around and I feel for her. I would like to send this to her. I could not get the link to work..
sandynn said:
Could you e-mail me this link. We have a lady in our state that is having a very hard time. The local gov tells her that she has to go through Home Land Security to obtain a variance or install sprinkle system and so on. Big run around and I feel for her. I would like to send this to her. I could not get the link to work.
Go to the web site of your Secretary of State and do a search on Fire Codes (sprinkler sounds as if it is a Fire Code issue) to see what the current Code is. Or call their office Monday and ask for the Code number pertaining to the problem.

Back