You have $1000 to spend...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
...and it needs to be spent on the inn. (I could spend it 5 times over on myself!)
What would you do to get the most bang for your buck? What needs updating that could be done for $1000? (That's all I have so no major overhauls please!) Go ahead, go crazy...I'll let you know what I end up doing!

Hmmmm...probably new linens (sheets, towels, comforters). Also a 2nd dehumidifier. With all the moisture living at the coast, the rains and our whirlpool tubs, the rooms get pretty moist in the winter. We have one we are able to roll into a room at check-out, but it would be really nice to have one dedicated to our cottage.
$1,000 is an interesting amount. No enough to do major stuff around here, especially in the winter. It makes me look at the smaller things I could do.

New air conditioner window units. What I have are from 1996. I am hoping the new ones are more efficient, smaller and lighter.

Hmmmm...probably new linens (sheets, towels, comforters). Also a 2nd dehumidifier. With all the moisture living at the coast, the rains and our whirlpool tubs, the rooms get pretty moist in the winter. We have one we are able to roll into a room at check-out, but it would be really nice to have one dedicated to our cottage.
$1,000 is an interesting amount. No enough to do major stuff around here, especially in the winter. It makes me look at the smaller things I could do..
That was the idea...small things. Not really enough to redo an entire room, but lots of little things.

$1,000 is an interesting amount. No enough to do major stuff around here, especially in the winter. It makes me look at the smaller things I could do..
That was the idea...small things. Not really enough to redo an entire room, but lots of little things.
I could get an A/C for each room plus one for the pvt bath for $1000.

I'm thinking new chairs for the rooms. I could redo the whole living room for that price. Might wait for the big mattress sale and redo the last mattress set.
I'm off to the consignment shop to see if they still have the 2 desks I wanted.

I'm thinking new chairs for the rooms. I could redo the whole living room for that price. Might wait for the big mattress sale and redo the last mattress set.
I'm off to the consignment shop to see if they still have the 2 desks I wanted..
I LOVE the Penny Pincher - the Mission's store in my city. I got 2 sets of dishes there and it is a place I can take stuff I no longer want/need. I think we just got a new consignment shop too. Have to check it out.

Put in a bocce court, more landscaping..
Tom said:
Put in a bocce court, more landscaping.
I did a survey that I sent to 600 guests asking what sorts of indoor/outdoor additions would they like to see. About 10% wanted outdoor activities which really surprised me. I bet they'd play if the things were out, tho!
I'd love a bocce court. Or horseshoes.

I would be onto ebay like a crack - (this is a concept ie very fast) you can if you are patient get some excellent bargains. I don't know your place well enough to advise exactly what to do or buy but some things help to pay for themselves ie we bought a new dryer cos the other one blew up but it is a lot quicker and more electricity efficient to the extent in 3 years it will have paid for itself. Are there any energy saving projects that would help you save money ie insulate the boiler? the loft? storm windows? things like that? People I know on another forum were discussing solar pannels as in the UK they are offering grants to people to help with the cost and people as well as their own needs are making £50 a month on top which is good in the long run and we have crap sun so sunny places would probably do better.

Tom said:
I did a survey that I sent to 600 guests asking what sorts of indoor/outdoor additions would they like to see. About 10% wanted outdoor activities which really surprised me. I bet they'd play if the things were out, tho!
We have 2 tournament grade bocce courts under roof (rain no problem) w/electricity (dark? no problem) with a fence around it (to keep out the slugs who cannot allow anything nice to exist) at our City Park. We have bocce leafues in the summer and hold several tournaments.

We would use it to help finish the basement off to make more space for OURSELVES!

Tom said:
bocce would be as much for DW as for guests, but it is a relaxing and civilized game. I have a spot in mind out back, partially beneath a gigantic black walnut. Hanging out in the shade on a hot summer afternoon, sipping chianti, listening to the click of the balls and DW's mild curses (she is competitive). I probably would never hear the guests arriving for check-in. Delightful.

OOH!!! That would put a nice dent in what I have planned for my PAII trip:
Looking for new -
1. Bathrobes
2. Reservation and guest tracking system
3. Champagne flutes with our logo on them
4. about 15 other things I can't think of right now because I've only had 1 cup of coffee....

Maybe you already have great photography. If not, I'd consider spending it on that.

Paint is cheap if you can do it yourself. Repainting brings the most dramatic change you can get for the money.

Looking for new -
1. Bathrobes
4. about 15 other things I can't think of right now because I've only had 1 cup of coffee.....
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Looking for new -
1. Bathrobes
4. about 15 other things I can't think of right now because I've only had 1 cup of coffee....
I was just looking online for engraved champagne flutes a few days ago. Our current supplier will not be doing them any more. The cheapest I've found for laser engraving is discountmugs.com You can also choose less expensive ones if you want them engraved, just printed logo. We just purchased metal water bottles with our logo from this company and they were fast and efficient and cheap!

Looking for new -
1. Bathrobes
4. about 15 other things I can't think of right now because I've only had 1 cup of coffee.....
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Looking for new -
1. Bathrobes
I was just looking online for engraved champagne flutes a few days ago. Our current supplier will not be doing them any more. The cheapest I've found for laser engraving is discountmugs.com You can also choose less expensive ones if you want them engraved, just printed logo. We just purchased metal water bottles with our logo from this company and they were fast and efficient and cheap!
they won't deliver to the UK even if you offer to pay extra postage! grrr

Looking for new -
1. Bathrobes
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Looking for new -
1. Bathrobes
Would it make financial sense to have them ship it to one of us and we mail it to you?? Glassware would probably be too heavy and costly, but if it were something like the water bottles, those were light!

Back