You have $60 to spend...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
...on a gift basket for a guest. What would YOU put in it? (The total amount being paid to me is $60 so feel free to keep it under that amount!) This is totally up to me. The person ordering the basket just wants something nice.
They gave no suggestions other than 'flowers' which I hate doing as the person they are giving the basket to will be here for a week and the flowers will be sad by then and I'll have to keep an eye on them and pick out the dead stuff as the week goes on. (And a 'nice' bouquet at the grocery store will run me $15-20 anyway.)

I would find a pretty potted flower that is just about to flower and make that the centerpiece. Then small jars/packages of local products packed around it. It does not have to be a LARGE basket - for $60 you will not get a LARGE anything today.
Edited to add: If I were doing one, I would get a 3 or 4 inch pot with a flower from the local greenhouse (not florist) and add a roast of coffee, a few packages of teas (I have a variety in foil packages), a ziplock bag with a 1/2 recipe of English muffin bread with recipe attached (and instructions of how to finish this one (just add warm water, mix, raise, and bake)) or some such thing. OR how about going to that greenhouse and the pot with the flower surrounded by small pots of herbs.

When I worked in the hotel we did the a basket that had all local things in it. Think of things to eat, and drink. Then also add maybe your items from your pro teams. Just do some thinking and be creative! Good luck and have fun!!!

When I worked in the hotel we did the a basket that had all local things in it. Think of things to eat, and drink. Then also add maybe your items from your pro teams. Just do some thinking and be creative! Good luck and have fun!!!.
'Pro teams'?

I would find a pretty potted flower that is just about to flower and make that the centerpiece. Then small jars/packages of local products packed around it. It does not have to be a LARGE basket - for $60 you will not get a LARGE anything today.
Edited to add: If I were doing one, I would get a 3 or 4 inch pot with a flower from the local greenhouse (not florist) and add a roast of coffee, a few packages of teas (I have a variety in foil packages), a ziplock bag with a 1/2 recipe of English muffin bread with recipe attached (and instructions of how to finish this one (just add warm water, mix, raise, and bake)) or some such thing. OR how about going to that greenhouse and the pot with the flower surrounded by small pots of herbs..
I think they're driving here so a potted plant would work. She's here to work not vacation so I'm thinking things to keep her going at night when she's settled in for the evening.

Do you have pro teams baseball, football, hockey, etc. What is your city known for?

Edited to add: If I were doing one, I would get a 3 or 4 inch pot with a flower from the local greenhouse (not florist) and add a roast of coffee, a few packages of teas (I have a variety in foil packages), a ziplock bag with a 1/2 recipe of English muffin bread with recipe attached (and instructions of how to finish this one (just add warm water, mix, raise, and bake)) or some such thing. OR how about going to that greenhouse and the pot with the flower surrounded by small pots of herbs..
I think they're driving here so a potted plant would work. She's here to work not vacation so I'm thinking things to keep her going at night when she's settled in for the evening.
Locally made candy - chocolates and hard candies - a few goodies from the local bakery, a bottle of local wine or local micr-brew.... Teas from your local tea shop, one of YOUR cups to brew that tea in....

Do you have pro teams baseball, football, hockey, etc. What is your city known for?.
MTLLodge said:
Do you have pro teams baseball, football, hockey, etc. What is your city known for?
Ah, that kind of pro team! My STATE doesn't even have a pro team, much less the city! But I see where that would be a fun take home.

Do you have pro teams baseball, football, hockey, etc. What is your city known for?.
MTLLodge said:
Ah, that kind of pro team! My STATE doesn't even have a pro team, much less the city! But I see where that would be a fun take home.
I can never keep track of who is who (thats why I have my name so I can remember me)
teeth_smile.gif
Ok you get the ideal!

I would go for local things if you have any for example we do our own chocolate bars so one would go in, maybe jar of local honey, we have local toffee/fudge (where the queen gets her's) which is a nice touch, local soap etc. Like the idea with the plant pot to that would make a nice centerpiece and they can plant it at home and when they see it remiinds them to re-book.

We have a Harry & David shop in our town, their snacks are awesome. If the person is there for work I doubt they'll care much about local type souvenirs...go for food.

Gift basket - A good cheese and crostini or crackers, a split of wine, good chocolates, fresh fruit. Always great in a basket. Maybe a small guide book on what to do in the area? Discount or gift card from a gourmet shop for lunch sandwiches or stuff for a picnic?
RIki

Where are they from? If nearby then I would go for flowers and some nice local or regional treats like chocolate covered blueberries etc. Flowers won't go dead in a week, I have lillies here from last weekend and today is Friday! Get LONGER lasting flowers, not roses or cold storage type.
Some lobster bibs and paraphanalia would be clever, do the "Sand bucket" as the basket, trick. I would LOVE a local book, if it were me receiving this basket.
Go online to your closest baskets and more and see what they do for ideas.

So far: local, handmade soaps in a variety of scents; locally made honey.
It looks like I might have some good flowers in the garden by the time she gets here. I could make a small bouquet.

It looks like I might have some good flowers in the garden by the time she gets here. I could make a small bouquet..
Alibi Ike said:
It looks like I might have some good flowers in the garden by the time she gets here. I could make a small bouquet.
Or do a single bud so you can change it out as the days go by. Like the local stuff. I am sure she will too.

It looks like I might have some good flowers in the garden by the time she gets here. I could make a small bouquet..
think the flowers from the garden is an excellent plan as shop bought are so expensive for what you get and then they will be dead by the time she goes home. is there anything that your area is famous for? we are a bit spoilt here as we have yorkshire tea, harrogate honey, special coffee, toffee. Made me laugh the other day as we are part of a program that promotes the use of local produce in our breakfast called Deliciously Yorkshire - customer was enquiring where various items were from etc "said is there anything that isn't made here?" lol

Back