You have no idea

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
How difficult it is to operate a B&B and have children. I am just going to say that right now, IT TOTALLY SUCKS. IT IS AWFUL AT TIMES. You cannot be who you need to be with strangers under your roof, you cannot deal with issues.
I would like to tell those people who think it is a piece of cake, it is not. And NO you have not heard me on here whinging and complaining about this, but I am right now. You get upset and have to smile, you cannot go away and have a good cry, you cannot do what you need to do. IT SUCKS living under a microscope.
That's all. Back to business now.

Hugs to you JB. been there, done that, but without a B&B!

Been there done that too, but also without the B & B, but with a home based business, love my kids but at times I hear you, you just need a good cry!
Just got off the phone with oldest DD, listened to her on her 30 min drive home about grad school, how the Dr's office lost a much needed medical record but found it only to have school med office loose it, DS yelling up the stairs about where is the car washing stuff, and other DD texting me from within the house asking how many potatoes to bake for dinner. All while I am trying to read emails, write an article and take a nap from too many allergy meds.
I think parents and innkeepers are much the same, multi-tasking masochists. But then again, I am just a working parent. The kids move out but they never go away, guests leave and I would bet dollars to donuts, you rarely hear from them again. Wouldn't trade those calls or interuptions for anything, it is when they (kids) don't call you worry.

heart.gif

hug.jpg

I have no idea how you do it. Just having a couples meltdown is stressful enough. Can't imagine trying to do this with my kids at home.

JB - just want to send some ((((hugs)))). Having to deal with kid issues is an immediate necessity and when you have to do it at a whisper through clenched teeth is not easy. Kids know how to time things to their best advantage - at least mine did.
My worst was in Illinois, it was winter so VERY cold and I had had it! I stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind me - HARD! And as I stood on the stoop I realized I did not have enough money to even go get a cup of coffee and it was too cold to walk around the block or anywhere else. All I could do was turn around with my tail between my legs and go back into the house. Working and having kids to deal with is bad enough, but having your work in your home and having to put on a happy face when all you want to do is cry or scream is worse.

Joey Bloggs said:
IT TOTALLY SUCKS. IT IS AWFUL AT TIMES. You cannot be who you need to be with strangers under your roof, you cannot deal with issues.
Yup. Sucks sometimes.
Hugs... and keep doing the awesome job you're doing... because you really, really are...
=/
Kk.

Hope your kids are ok! sometime as well its that need to have a really good shout! yesterday in the supermarket we were stood by the fish - we havn't had salmon for ages and they were doing a really good deal so told DH to get it (we were stood next to it and I pointed right at it) At the check out I got distracted as saw a friend and didn't realise he hadn't! got to about 6pm went to look at the fridge and start making my tea as starving! he had bought all stuff for himself!! and nothing for me!!!!! this on top of the fact we both are starting with really bad colds and its pouring with rain! had to walk back to super market in the rain and somehow hurt my foot in the process! so now I have probably strep throat and can barely walk! tore a fricking strip off him!!!! but then you have to smile for the guests! plus on top of this guest who we had rung to confirm arrival time of 9pm rang and said was going to be later than predicted arrived at 11pm when we really needed to be in bed! grrrrrr
However what is worce is couples who are trying to separate but are tied together by the business. There is a BB up the road from me had been up for sale 3 years now with no luck. But what can you do?

Oh JB I know how it is too-our first B & B (owned) we brough two TEENAGERS with us-nough said right? Yup and the lucky thing for us was we had two homes which we were lucky enough to be seperate than the other house were we lived. Still, its very hard cause as teens-they knew exactly what to do when there were guests and i knew i could not GO OFF- so i would just have to grin and bear it-i don't know how i ever got through this, but now that im far from them and they are grown and gone, i miss them terribly- but i feel you-
{{{{hugs}}}}}} to you
I retrospect I would not have done it with the kids again, but hindsight is 20/20! I know my daughter has worked for a rafting comapany and she knows how to clean a room better than the manager---he he he at least they learn something!

OMG I can't imagine trying to do this with kids in the house. Just keep saying...This too shall pass, this too shall pass. Hang in there!
cry_smile.gif

Hi JB! I understand what your goin through! I have to small kids at home as well! We finally decided when the property across the street from our B&B came up for sale, we had to move. By doing that we were able to rent out the owners quarters. The income off of that suite pays for our house! I could not imagine going back to living in a B&B again with kids! Just an idea for you! Hang in there!

Back