You know it happens...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morticia,
Thanks for posting this. I had one couple book, pay and leave because my b&b wasn't like it was with the PO's. They were polite, but wanted the old place. To this moment, 3 years later I remember them vs, many quite satisfied guests I may not. Anyway, rather than wonder what I did wrong, I appreciate you, and others pointing out, that it was their connection to the previous owners that was missing not something about me or my place..
I don't know about the particular people I wrote about but we've had enough of the other GOPO's (guests of previous owners) to know that we do NOT, absolutely do NOT cut the mustard with those guests.
We are just different people. We're not obsequious for one thing. We don't coddle. We have rules that DO apply to YOU.
One of the worst cases we had was a GOPO who called and asked if we would be washing his car for him like the PO's did? Hmmm. I don't think so. Another who tried to come into our teeny kitchen at 8 AM to cook his own breakfast. And yet another who was not used to having to dine with 'other' guests and left in a huff. And let's not get into the ones who thought they could use the kitchen whenever they wanted.
And all of these said, 'The PO's let me!' or 'The PO's did that for me!'
So, when I get someone who is as enamoed of the PO's as this couple was yesterday, I don't go out of my way. They just won't like us. And after 6 years they have this monument erected in their minds so it definitely wouldn't work.
Understandable now that you mention these others why you did not invite them in.
We've heard your kitchen stories & they were major headaches I know but Wash their car???
wow.gif
That is something else. I am no ones indentured servant! And you know they are not getting this treatment at a hotel, well unless they are parting with major moolah.
I know of several innkeepers who actually either have an area where they have paper towels, squeegees, a hose, and windshield cleaning stuff for their guests and it's self serve or they offer to clean the windshields for their guest OR they will clean off windshields on snowy days before guests' departure. Another amenity that's offered by some B&Bs.
Oh helping clean snow off of a windshield is something out of the ordinary...and something we have helped do in the past...but wash a car...no way:-(

Morticia,
Thanks for posting this. I had one couple book, pay and leave because my b&b wasn't like it was with the PO's. They were polite, but wanted the old place. To this moment, 3 years later I remember them vs, many quite satisfied guests I may not. Anyway, rather than wonder what I did wrong, I appreciate you, and others pointing out, that it was their connection to the previous owners that was missing not something about me or my place..
I don't know about the particular people I wrote about but we've had enough of the other GOPO's (guests of previous owners) to know that we do NOT, absolutely do NOT cut the mustard with those guests.
We are just different people. We're not obsequious for one thing. We don't coddle. We have rules that DO apply to YOU.
One of the worst cases we had was a GOPO who called and asked if we would be washing his car for him like the PO's did? Hmmm. I don't think so. Another who tried to come into our teeny kitchen at 8 AM to cook his own breakfast. And yet another who was not used to having to dine with 'other' guests and left in a huff. And let's not get into the ones who thought they could use the kitchen whenever they wanted.
So, when I get someone who is as enamoed of the PO's as this couple was yesterday, I don't go out of my way. They just won't like us. And after 6 years they have this monument erected in their minds so it definitely wouldn't work.
Understandable now that you mention these others why you did not invite them in.
We've heard your kitchen stories & they were major headaches I know but Wash their car???
wow.gif
That is something else. I am no ones indentured servant! And you know they are not getting this treatment at a hotel, well unless they are parting with major moolah.
I know of several innkeepers who actually either have an area where they have paper towels, squeegees, a hose, and windshield cleaning stuff for their guests and it's self serve or they offer to clean the windshields for their guest OR they will clean off windshields on snowy days before guests' departure. Another amenity that's offered by some B&Bs.
Oh helping clean snow off of a windshield is something out of the ordinary...and something we have helped do in the past...but wash a car...no way:-(
one B&B near me did it for a customer one time as a bird had really pooed all over and it damages the paint if you leave it (it was mentioned as an amazing example of customer service) and when the just mentioned it in conversation to the owner when they came outside later it had been cleaned and they were totally wowwed. (think they set the bar high for the guests that followed) however they have either number 1 or number 2 spot in harrogate for trip adviser depending on the day and they have pretty stiff competition here so they do lots of special helpful things. I don't know anyone else anywhere that would do this. we would supply water and soap and a sponge if people wanted though.

Morticia,
wow.gif
I clean snow off the car and dig it out if we had enough snow to warrant that - but no washee here.

I'd bet those folks had been going there for years.....
You get comofortable with familiar things.....change is not easy for some people...
Heck.......I don't even like the change that is happening on my own street.
As for the car washing.
We have local boy scout troops doing car wash at a fire house.........high school girls boosters or something that do car washes at the high school a couple times a year.
I'd try to get a local kid/s to do car washes for a nominal fee....like $10 a car.....Keep $1 or $2 for water and supplies....this way the kid/s that do this get a chance to understand the workings of a business relationship......

We have car washes on every corner with boosters and scouts and football teams...the youth stand out and wave and jump around and you look behind them and the parents are the ones washing the cars. I have yet to use them for that reason, and I voice this opinion. Of course DH says it is better than the kids who would do a crappy job since they have never washed a car in their lives. I stand by my opinion on this. Parents need to stop bowing down to the kids, they need to get their butts out there to do some work for a change!!
Or oh yeah buy kri spy k reme do-nots and sell them to everyone. Hard work, I tell ya!
And btw, let it be noted I have never hit y'all up for any fundraisers for Marching Band...yes, I am asking for acknowledgement as a bad band booster not asking and selling to anyone I come into contact with.
whattha.gif

One Day next time you see a car wash look and see who it is washing the cars...please, and report back if I am wrong on this in your neighborhood. :)

We have car washes on every corner with boosters and scouts and football teams...the youth stand out and wave and jump around and you look behind them and the parents are the ones washing the cars. I have yet to use them for that reason, and I voice this opinion. Of course DH says it is better than the kids who would do a crappy job since they have never washed a car in their lives. I stand by my opinion on this. Parents need to stop bowing down to the kids, they need to get their butts out there to do some work for a change!!
Or oh yeah buy kri spy k reme do-nots and sell them to everyone. Hard work, I tell ya!
And btw, let it be noted I have never hit y'all up for any fundraisers for Marching Band...yes, I am asking for acknowledgement as a bad band booster not asking and selling to anyone I come into contact with.
whattha.gif
Happens here too. When are these kids ever going to learn? Back when I was in the Marching Band WE had car washes, WE sold candy, candles, Christmas cards, - you name it! My parents did put an order form on their desk but did not ask or beg for people to buy.. it was there, no force or guilty feelings ever! But I was the one that had to get out and sell and I was the one that had to do all the deliveries...not only because it was my responsibility but becasue I WANTED to. Big difference in todays kids!
When we were kids we loved the chance to earn a few bucks... My DH mowed grass in the neighborhood for his spending cash - you'd be hard pressed to get one to do it today. And we wonder why there are so many lawn companies around - an making a ton!!! It would have been fun to get a weekend 'job' washing cars at a B&B or such... Today's kids are too busy trying to socal climb like their parents.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
I marvel at your restraint. Not once have you asked any of us to donate a free weekend for your charity auction.
wink_smile.gif

I washed cars in San Diego too, and cleaned windows on houses for the old folks as a preteen to earn money, all up and down our street. I was always inventive in those days...sold mistletoe and had my little sister who was like 7 dressed as an elf - we sold a ton too and made Christmas money!

whattha.gif
Happens here too. When are these kids ever going to learn? Back when I was in the Marching Band WE had car washes, WE sold candy, candles, Christmas cards, - you name it! My parents did put an order form on their desk but did not ask or beg for people to buy.. it was there, no force or guilty feelings ever! But I was the one that had to get out and sell and I was the one that had to do all the deliveries...not only because it was my responsibility but becasue I WANTED to. Big difference in todays kids!
When we were kids we loved the chance to earn a few bucks... My DH mowed grass in the neighborhood for his spending cash - you'd be hard pressed to get one to do it today. And we wonder why there are so many lawn companies around - an making a ton!!! It would have been fun to get a weekend 'job' washing cars at a B&B or such... Today's kids are too busy trying to socal climb like their parents.
I have hit the Motherlode! My high school kid comes over or calls to see if I need him (all he has to do is look at the grass!) and he comes over AFTER football practice to do my yard. I pay him $10 per hour. I told him that just because he is a kid does not mean he is not worth proper wages. One of the first questions he was asked - and his Mom verified it - was do you get poison ivy? It would be my cash crop if I could find a buyer.
JJ pulls the poison ivy, virginia creeper, and other ivy out, cuts grass & hedges, weed whacks, and last time worked an extra hour weeding my herbs.

One Day next time you see a car wash look and see who it is washing the cars...please, and report back if I am wrong on this in your neighborhood. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
One Day next time you see a car wash look and see who it is washing the cars...please, and report back if I am wrong on this in your neighborhood. :)
The kids do the cars........a couple of the parents just sit in their portable chairs under an umbrella or a canopy........yeah.....serious......the kids do the washing.
Every time I pass them....I think.....get all the trucks lined up and let the kids have at it.......then I snap back into reality
Come to think about these car washes.......I can recall years ago...these kids having serious lines of cars waiting to be washed.......hasn't been like that in years

it's difficult to get kids today to do anything that is "labor"........I blame the parents............but there are a few parents and kids that do get it.....just much less of them now-a-days
I can go into a lengthy rant regarding this.......I'll spare you all :)

it's difficult to get kids today to do anything that is "labor"........I blame the parents............but there are a few parents and kids that do get it.....just much less of them now-a-days
I can go into a lengthy rant regarding this.......I'll spare you all :).
One Day said:
I can go into a lengthy rant regarding this.......I'll spare you all :)
I was talking to a couple today regarding our wedding package. We only allow children of the couple, their siblings and those in the wedding party. The guy said I can really understand this, some just do not watch their kids and you have some collectables....
I just said "Well there are parents that have children and then there are people that have kids" The guy laughed and said you got that right!

Yeah CH.........far to many just won't accept the responsibility.
We are losing the family values....
Perhaps this recession will resurect it........Parents will be parents again.
I also don't appreciate parents who feel their kids need to grow up so fast....I see kids losing out on what childhood is........or even what the teen years are supposed to be like

whattha.gif
Some of us made our kids do the fundraising work. ;-) However, I did put the candy bars on my desk at work...no sales pitch because they sold themselves. :)

Yeah CH.........far to many just won't accept the responsibility.
We are losing the family values....
Perhaps this recession will resurect it........Parents will be parents again.
I also don't appreciate parents who feel their kids need to grow up so fast....I see kids losing out on what childhood is........or even what the teen years are supposed to be like.
And you see all of it walk thru the door on a weekly basis! Parents who are still hovering over their 10 yo kids to make sure they cut their sausages up small enough. Parents who don't even come to brekkie with their kids. Parents who overlook their kids ignoring everyone and everything. Parents who make the kid say 'please' and 'thank you' every time I even get close to the table.
It's all out there and there isn't any one that I see more of than others. (Of course it SEEMS like the rotten kids multiply overnight, but it's just not true.)
Families are interesting. Some sit at the table together like it's their last meal for years chatting, laughing, excited. Others don't say 2 words to each other and seem perfectly relaxed. And others you would swear sat down at the table with strangers who don't speak the same language.
All I hope for is that the happy families stay that way and the miserable ones either break up and move on or realize what they're missing and become a family again.

whattha.gif
Guilty as charged. We sold hoagie sandwiches for the competition band (they traveled all summer competing all over the midwest and traveling with 2 buses for kids, a semi hauling uniforms and instruments, and a field kitchen) to make his assessment of $400. However, the hoagies made for a delicious lunch on delivery day and were reasonably priced. We sold them 4 times a year.

So what are you saying? Ya wanna buy some candles, onions, donuts, magazines, mugs, blankets, eagle apparel, auction items?
smileystooges.gif

Morticia, the one thing you don't realize is that when you leave, the guests you've really connected with will feel the same way about you when they return. The next owners will be shaking their heads wondering how you could've been THAT great. Different strokes for different folks.

Back