You know it happens...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
...but it's odd when it walks up and tells you. I was just outside watering the plants and this couple walked by and said (right out of the blue), 'We used to stay here. It was our favorite place in town. But, now we go to the hotels because (name of the PO's) aren't here any more. They were like family. They remembered everything about us every year.'
So, there it is...the guest who does not return because the old owners are gone.

Ew, what purpose was served by them saying something like that to you? Tacky and unnecessary...

They were just talking about why your place was special to them. It was a connection with the POs. At least they still return to your town and spend money there. They could be going to some other town entirely.
I'm sure that you have plenty of guests that now come back there because of you and Gomez.
regular_smile.gif

Did you shake their hand and say "Nice to meet you, I 'm Morticia! You should see what improvements we have made to our B&B!"

What were they thinking??? They had to know you at least worked there. Geez, how rude! After the shock, did you introduce yourself? Invite them to see the new decor (as JB mentioned).
We all hope that we leave a wonderful lasting impression on our guests, but I whould hope (if I sell as a B&B) that my repeat guests would come back, at least test the waters with the new innkeeper.
As you say, you know it happens just like some people that come back but choose another place to stay.... Some because they like different experences, others because they didn't get the experience they were looking for. Nether the less, it stings.

Did you shake their hand and say "Nice to meet you, I 'm Morticia! You should see what improvements we have made to our B&B!".
Joey Bloggs said:
Did you shake their hand and say "Nice to meet you, I 'm Morticia! You should see what improvements we have made to our B&B!"
No, I told them I completely understood how they got attached to the PO's, but if they wanted to give us a try to just call.

What were they thinking??? They had to know you at least worked there. Geez, how rude! After the shock, did you introduce yourself? Invite them to see the new decor (as JB mentioned).
We all hope that we leave a wonderful lasting impression on our guests, but I whould hope (if I sell as a B&B) that my repeat guests would come back, at least test the waters with the new innkeeper.
As you say, you know it happens just like some people that come back but choose another place to stay.... Some because they like different experences, others because they didn't get the experience they were looking for. Nether the less, it stings..
They seemed to be quite attached to the PO's and would probably have driven right to their house had I told them how to find it. They said they looked for them around town every year but hadn't seen them yet. (This is 6 years now they've come back to town 'looking for ' the PO's.) I told them where they eat dinner. At least that restaurant will see an uptick in biz.
wink_smile.gif

As you say, you know it happens just like some people that come back but choose another place to stay.... Some because they like different experences, others because they didn't get the experience they were looking for. Nether the less, it stings..
They seemed to be quite attached to the PO's and would probably have driven right to their house had I told them how to find it. They said they looked for them around town every year but hadn't seen them yet. (This is 6 years now they've come back to town 'looking for ' the PO's.) I told them where they eat dinner. At least that restaurant will see an uptick in biz.
wink_smile.gif

Oh my...so they are stalkers!

wink_smile.gif

Rupert said:
I definitely got that impression. Odd thing, and I've said this before, guests seemed to really like the PO's, sending them gifts (which we got in the mail after they left), some still come and have dinner with them every year. And yet, they themselves, seemed so ready to dust the guests off their shoes.
But, we've been told, they did make very close friends with some of the guests. Those are the ones who knew they were selling.

wink_smile.gif

Rupert said:
I definitely got that impression. Odd thing, and I've said this before, guests seemed to really like the PO's, sending them gifts (which we got in the mail after they left), some still come and have dinner with them every year. And yet, they themselves, seemed so ready to dust the guests off their shoes.
But, we've been told, they did make very close friends with some of the guests. Those are the ones who knew they were selling.
Then they were great actors, I guess. Or they really did enjoy the guests but they were just done. When we leave I will never look back.

Sure...I can understand...don't like it..but that's the way it goes. We know that many people choose the inn and return to the same place over and over because of the innkeepers. We only had one couple that ever stayed with us that stayed with the previous owners.
Did you say anything to them? Like. "yes they were lovely folks, but you are surely welcome to try us out sometime." or something like that :)

Morticia,
Thanks for posting this. I had one couple book, pay and leave because my b&b wasn't like it was with the PO's. They were polite, but wanted the old place. To this moment, 3 years later I remember them vs, many quite satisfied guests I may not. Anyway, rather than wonder what I did wrong, I appreciate you, and others pointing out, that it was their connection to the previous owners that was missing not something about me or my place.

Morticia,
Thanks for posting this. I had one couple book, pay and leave because my b&b wasn't like it was with the PO's. They were polite, but wanted the old place. To this moment, 3 years later I remember them vs, many quite satisfied guests I may not. Anyway, rather than wonder what I did wrong, I appreciate you, and others pointing out, that it was their connection to the previous owners that was missing not something about me or my place..
I don't know about the particular people I wrote about but we've had enough of the other GOPO's (guests of previous owners) to know that we do NOT, absolutely do NOT cut the mustard with those guests.
We are just different people. We're not obsequious for one thing. We don't coddle. We have rules that DO apply to YOU.
One of the worst cases we had was a GOPO who called and asked if we would be washing his car for him like the PO's did? Hmmm. I don't think so. Another who tried to come into our teeny kitchen at 8 AM to cook his own breakfast. And yet another who was not used to having to dine with 'other' guests and left in a huff. And let's not get into the ones who thought they could use the kitchen whenever they wanted.
And all of these said, 'The PO's let me!' or 'The PO's did that for me!'
So, when I get someone who is as enamoed of the PO's as this couple was yesterday, I don't go out of my way. They just won't like us. And after 6 years they have this monument erected in their minds so it definitely wouldn't work.

still that's odd for them to say that spiel to you ... maybe they thought you were the gardener? if they thought you were the innkeeper that's crazy rude. it's also a silly statement to make. they'd rather stay in a hotel than try your b&b (or another?) very odd.
i agree, there are wistful memories some people have of how a place used to be and nothing can compare (like chlldhood memories i guess)... i had guests who remembered the formerly run down place FONDLY because they had the run of the place ... use of the kitchen ... with filthy fridge and broken burners, faucet that often didn't work, mice running around. it was like a camp to them ... they'd move from bedroom to bedroom, trying them out. and it was cheap. real cheap. they weren't interested in breakfast by me, amenities and new furniture and a higher price tag. they wanted their run down camp back. they didn't want a b&b and they didn't want me.
i remember the first time i saw the place, i broke down and cried it was so bad.

Morticia,
Thanks for posting this. I had one couple book, pay and leave because my b&b wasn't like it was with the PO's. They were polite, but wanted the old place. To this moment, 3 years later I remember them vs, many quite satisfied guests I may not. Anyway, rather than wonder what I did wrong, I appreciate you, and others pointing out, that it was their connection to the previous owners that was missing not something about me or my place..
I don't know about the particular people I wrote about but we've had enough of the other GOPO's (guests of previous owners) to know that we do NOT, absolutely do NOT cut the mustard with those guests.
We are just different people. We're not obsequious for one thing. We don't coddle. We have rules that DO apply to YOU.
One of the worst cases we had was a GOPO who called and asked if we would be washing his car for him like the PO's did? Hmmm. I don't think so. Another who tried to come into our teeny kitchen at 8 AM to cook his own breakfast. And yet another who was not used to having to dine with 'other' guests and left in a huff. And let's not get into the ones who thought they could use the kitchen whenever they wanted.
So, when I get someone who is as enamoed of the PO's as this couple was yesterday, I don't go out of my way. They just won't like us. And after 6 years they have this monument erected in their minds so it definitely wouldn't work.
See...I told you ...you don't want them!!! Just because the PO let everyone get away with anything..doens't mean you do...what are people thinking anyway? Ah..come on...you aren't going to wash their car for them!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

Morticia,
Understandable now that you mention these others why you did not invite them in.
We've heard your kitchen stories & they were major headaches I know but Wash their car???
wow.gif
That is something else. I am no ones indentured servant! And you know they are not getting this treatment at a hotel, well unless they are parting with major moolah.

Morticia,
Understandable now that you mention these others why you did not invite them in.
We've heard your kitchen stories & they were major headaches I know but Wash their car???
wow.gif
That is something else. I am no ones indentured servant! And you know they are not getting this treatment at a hotel, well unless they are parting with major moolah.
I don't think I have ever heard of a hotel washing a car! But like you say...maybe...if they are paying out the big bucks somewhere.

Morticia,
wow.gif
I know of several innkeepers who actually either have an area where they have paper towels, squeegees, a hose, and windshield cleaning stuff for their guests and it's self serve or they offer to clean the windshields for their guest OR they will clean off windshields on snowy days before guests' departure. Another amenity that's offered by some B&Bs.

Back