You know it's time to get out when...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
At what point is it worth considering?
  • When you leave all of your cleaning supplies out and forget to put them away? Even when the guest checks in?
  • When your place smells of urine (hopefully mouse) and unuse?
  • When your guest towels smell like mildew and moth balls?
  • When there are no keys for guest room doors because they've walked off in the past and you don't want to spend the money to replace them?
  • When you reuse the previous days fruit?

Blush. I left the bathroom cleaning supplies caddy in one of the guest bathrooms....before a local homes tour!
Found it still there after they all left when I rechecked and vacuumed rooms....sigh. This was a year into doing business....haven't done THAT again.

Blush. I left the bathroom cleaning supplies caddy in one of the guest bathrooms....before a local homes tour!
Found it still there after they all left when I rechecked and vacuumed rooms....sigh. This was a year into doing business....haven't done THAT again..
Anon Inn said:
I left the bathroom cleaning supplies caddy in one of the guest bathrooms...
I've done that too. Not a reason to think about retirement. Just a reason to think about checking better next time!

I have an antique 25 gallon crock in each bathroom. Since I started with a shared, I had it for the convenience of anyone who felt it necessary (I may not have always been able to clean between showers if I was cooking breakfast). When I got the second bathroom, I just duplicated it. Never really thought about it. I do not have dust rags, vac, etc used in cleaning the rooms - that is in my storage room.
My keys travel more than I do - I keep extras on hand at all times. More often than not, the traveling keys get shipped back. Just had a Gazetteer returned via the mail. Wish the umbrella would be - it cost more than the Gazetteer but different guests.

Boy inquiring minds would sure like to know (but we won't ask here).
Not to discuss urine too much, but you know I stayed in a rustic mountain cabin and in the bureau of draws (to borrow HJ's vernacular) there was a vole. Yes, a full figured mouse.
I have been washing my clothes and am about to toss two blouses that I had IN my suit case from the smell from the vole and urine. I may have had it out for a little while, and not in said drawers. When i put it on the first time I thought "what the heck did I wash this with no detergent?" I can't stand the smell or mouse urine, just typing that brought up a gag reflex.
shades_smile.gif

Boy inquiring minds would sure like to know (but we won't ask here).
Not to discuss urine too much, but you know I stayed in a rustic mountain cabin and in the bureau of draws (to borrow HJ's vernacular) there was a vole. Yes, a full figured mouse.
I have been washing my clothes and am about to toss two blouses that I had IN my suit case from the smell from the vole and urine. I may have had it out for a little while, and not in said drawers. When i put it on the first time I thought "what the heck did I wash this with no detergent?" I can't stand the smell or mouse urine, just typing that brought up a gag reflex.
shades_smile.gif
I never take anything out of my suitcase..NEVER.

Sorry!
I have this idea in my head for an innsitting service - much like a babysitter - just for a few hours or a day. Not necessarily when the innkeeper is going away for days but just to give the innkeeper a break. I guess it would have to be really local, wouldn't it? But, I think that's all innkeepers need sometimes. Someone to step in and take over for a little while so you can refresh or just sit ... not an easy thing to do!
That being said, maybe you are spent as an innkeeper. Is selling an option?
When I was cleaning up to 8 rooms solo, I used to be all done with cleaning and then go back for a final walk through. I'd find a vacume cleaner parked in a guest room, cleaning supplies sitting out, toilet bowl cleaner in the bowl with the seat up ... it happens.
Why do the towels smell bad? I had to make sure they were completely dry and then bag them. My place was in a harbor - think fog and damp.
As for the keys ... hmmm ... you've got to replace the keys.
And mouse urine smell? ergh, that's got to go. I've got nothing ......

Sorry!
I have this idea in my head for an innsitting service - much like a babysitter - just for a few hours or a day. Not necessarily when the innkeeper is going away for days but just to give the innkeeper a break. I guess it would have to be really local, wouldn't it? But, I think that's all innkeepers need sometimes. Someone to step in and take over for a little while so you can refresh or just sit ... not an easy thing to do!
When I was cleaning up to 8 rooms solo, I used to be all done with cleaning and then go back for a final walk through. I'd find a vacume cleaner parked in a guest room, cleaning supplies sitting out, toilet bowl cleaner in the bowl with the seat up ... it happens.
Why do the towels smell bad? I had to make sure they were completely dry and then bag them. My place was in a harbor - think fog and damp.
And mouse urine smell? ergh, that's got to go. I've got nothing .......
seashanty said:
Sorry!
I would LOVE to have this option! I would use it today...our guests will be checking out at 11:00, then we have no one here until tomorrow afternoon. DH wants to go spend the night a couple of hours away. If we had someone who could check in our guests tomorrow, we wouldn't have to rush back and end up waiting and waiting for check-in if we had someone like you we trusted to 'babysit', we wouldn't have to be back until late evening. That would be so worth it!
Or having the option of hiring you to do breakfast in the busy season and allow us to sleep in just once. Priceless. Tomorrow morning is the first time I'll be able to have a lye-in since May. I'm so hoping that no one will call for a last minute room tonight.

Sorry!
yes SS....
Print up a resume and provide a "proposal" of services / pricing and get it to the local innkeepers.Maybe those within a hour's drive. You don't want to have to travel too far and you know they don't want to pay too much. But you have a valuable service someone might take advantage of. Then in the future, it could turn into innsitting...who knows.

Sorry!
yes SS....
Print up a resume and provide a "proposal" of services / pricing and get it to the local innkeepers.Maybe those within a hour's drive. You don't want to have to travel too far and you know they don't want to pay too much. But you have a valuable service someone might take advantage of. Then in the future, it could turn into innsitting...who knows.
Include minimum hours of service. I think at least 3 or 4 hours as a minimum would make it worthwhile for you to drive to their location.

Sorry!
yes SS....
EmptyNest said:
yes SS....
Respite care.
"Innkeeping mental health services" can be printed on your shirt.

Sorry!
yes SS....
EmptyNest said:
yes SS....
Respite care.
ha! respite care
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
EmptyNest said:
yes SS....
Respite care.

Sorry!
thumbs_up.gif
Great idea! I would call you....every week.

Sorry!
I think it's great. I could definitely see the use for a person who is fresh and peppy to answer the door for a couple of hours while we go out for dinner or just eat dinner in peace.

It's definitely easy to be light and breezy when you're only 'on' for a little while! hmmmm ...

Sorry!
seashanty said:
Excellent idea! I would totally use someone for check ins. It would be worth every penny. And I've always wanted someone available to just do breakfast and clean ups on Saturdays, because there is always some type of charity event or marathon type thing going that I want to attend and can't. You have a wonderful idea here.

Sorry!
seashanty said:
Excellent idea! I would totally use someone for check ins. It would be worth every penny. And I've always wanted someone available to just do breakfast and clean ups on Saturdays, because there is always some type of charity event or marathon type thing going that I want to attend and can't. You have a wonderful idea here.
what we all need is a local who is sensible and newly retired and would just like a few hours hear and there - but its finding them!

Back