You know you're an experienced innkeeper when...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Remember that list of 'you know you're an innkeeper' sayings we had going? Well, while wiping down 15 Windsor chairs' spindles yesterday, I figured we needed a new list of things you know when you're an experienced innkeeper:
You know you're an experienced innkeeper when...
1. You look at new furniture and the first thing you think is- that's too hard to clean.
2. You're buying new bed linens and you run from anything that is 'dry clean only'.
3. You see a cute tchotchke at the store, put it in your cart and then take it out thinking, 'Yeah, and who's gonna have to dust that thing everyday?'
Feel free to add more!

This could be a very long list! We are so keen.
How about DISHWASHER space hog, you like it but won't buy it unless is stacks well in multiples in the dishwasher.

How about buying glasses (wine, specifically) that are cheap and replaceable, because so many get broken so often.
Toilet paper in the absolutely largest double/triple roll so that you don't have to continously swap them out.

How about buying glasses (wine, specifically) that are cheap and replaceable, because so many get broken so often.
Toilet paper in the absolutely largest double/triple roll so that you don't have to continously swap them out..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Toilet paper in the absolutely largest double/triple roll so that you don't have to continously swap them out.
Yeah we are the only ones who buy giant loads of TP! It is pretty funny when you think about it and we KNOW WHICH ONES we want and which we DO NOT EVER WANT AGAIN! I have one brand only, then a second if that is unavailable - but it is not my preferred. Not too thick, not too thing - jusssssssssss right.
The other day I didn't buy any eggs, and I felt, weird. I always buy eggs, no matter when or where I buy them. I left the grocery store feeling lost...

When you see a sale and FIND the space to store so you can stock up on:
Eggs
Blueberries
Blackberries
Raspberries
Flour
TP
Bottled water

In peak season, you buy your eggs in dozen.... cartons!

When you can make a different breakfast every morning for a week an never look at a recipe.

You take your returnable bottles to the bottle redemption and they no longer give you the hairy eyeball over the sheer volume of alcohol bottles in your car. (What they do give you, tho, is a nice pocket-sized daybook your DH uses for his shopping lists!)

You know you are an innkeeper when you buy 18 dozen eggs for breakfast and no one that lives in your house eats eggs.

I always say you are and experienced innkeeper when -
1- you never buy anything that is not wipe clean, easy wash etc
2- you have a section in your wardrobe of outfits you can just fling on and you know they will look alright ie black top black trousers for when you are in a rush.
3-you know pretty much to the penny what your breakfast ingredients cost and where to get the best deals on things like eggs.
4-you have the werdest shopping ie 100 toilet rolls and 20 cans of beans.
5- you bulk by when non perishables are on sale ie 30 things of toilet cleaner when its on buy one get one free.

How about DISHWASHER space hog, you like it but won't buy it unless is stacks well in multiples in the dishwasher..
Joey Bloggs said:
How about DISHWASHER space hog, you like it but won't buy it unless is stacks well in multiples in the dishwasher.
I got caught on this one when we started out. We spent £300 on matching tableware for breakfast, then I discovered that the plates I served a full cooked on don't fit in the dishwasher, and have been a PITA ever since.

You buy all your candy individually wrapped, including chocolate.

-when butter is on sale you buy POUNDS of it... and freeze it of course
you have a "go to" recipe
ditto on the TP and Paper Towels too-as long as the PT are half way absorbant-we get them.

You can get through the grocery store to do your shopping in less than an hour and you don't need a list.
regular_smile.gif

...you never have a full roll of TP in the OQ...with 3 additional partial rolls waiting in the wings.
...you snatch up dozens of boxes "Ecologs" at the end of the season.
...you become an expert at pouring shampoo/conditioner from one tiny bottle into another tiny bottle.
...you routinely crawl around on your hands and knees with a sticky-roller thingy getting every last bit of hair off the floor.

Your house is immaculate, you could eat off your guest room floors, and your private quarters look like a tornado blew through a Costco warehouse!

Your house is immaculate, you could eat off your guest room floors, and your private quarters look like a tornado blew through a Costco warehouse!.
Happy Keeper said:
Your house is immaculate, you could eat off your guest room floors, and your private quarters look like a tornado blew through a Costco warehouse!
Amen to that!

Your house is immaculate, you could eat off your guest room floors, and your private quarters look like a tornado blew through a Costco warehouse!.
Happy Keeper said:
thumbs_up.gif

Back