You Say Tomato I Say Shut Up

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is the title of a book actually. http://www.amazon.com/You-Say-Tomato-Shut-Up/dp/030746377X
I had to laugh this morning as we have a couple here on a picnic package and I asked DH to let them know their picnic lunch will be on the dining table around 11am for them to take with and the personalized list of romantic picnic spots/hikes/visitas. (Yeah I said ALL that)
He went out and said to them "Your esky will be here at 11" and they nodded and then he walked away. (Yeah that was it)
I said, "DH! They don't know what that means!"
He said "Sure they do!"
I said "Please go back out and say it again, and ask them about it"
Sure enough, they had no idea what the heck he was talking about. Then they all had a big laugh.
Yeah SHUT UP is about right...we need a translator around here sometimes.

Joey Bloggs said:
...and the personalized list of romantic picnic spots/hikes/visitas.
What a good idea. Another pearl to add to my list!

cooler, igloo, in New Zealand where he was born they call them "chilly bins"

I print the list with their name on the top with that title and then put it in a plastic document sleeve and insert in the "esky" or give to them. I also put a tablecloth and two small bottles of bubbles inside. I don't use a proper hamper, although I have thought I would, but the food and drinks need to stay cold and it is hot here!!

The odd thing is, even tho I've never heard that term, if I was expecting something to be put out for me, I'd figure 'that's what they call it in these parts!'
Yes, that attitude has caused problems in the past, but I like new words so it usually all works out.

cooler, igloo, in New Zealand where he was born they call them "chilly bins".
Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Where I come from a "chilly bin" is a woman who won't put out.
We had a couple here from AR a few weeks ago and I went thru some of the words they would run across here that probably would not get them what they wanted. The most important being 'Coke'. 'Coke' around here gets you Coke, not Pepsi, not ginger ale, not 7-up. They said, 'Yeah, we found that out yesterday.'
They already knew about the iced tea. They said they were warned in advance that no one here would make the tea the right way.

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Now I am ROTFLMAO!

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
We had a couple here from AR a few weeks ago and I went thru some of the words they would run across here that probably would not get them what they wanted. The most important being 'Coke'. 'Coke' around here gets you Coke, not Pepsi, not ginger ale, not 7-up. They said, 'Yeah, we found that out yesterday.'
They already knew about the iced tea. They said they were warned in advance that no one here would make the tea the right way.
My friend from NC refers to pop of any kind as a "drink". She comes to Ohio and orders a drink and gets told we do not have a liquor license and you are underage. She wanted a Coke or Pepsi.

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Yes, when I was a kid, we used the word coke for ANY soft drink.
Also in Arkansas we call them sodas, not "pop". Only Yankees say pop.
90% of people in my town no longer order tea. They only order "sweettea" (all one word) referring to iced tea with the sugar added while it's still hot. They say it tastes better than unsweetened tea that has the sugar added after it's iced.
I wouldn't know. I only like it unsweetened, with lemon preferred.
My dad had a first cousin who taught at Cornell U. in New York for about 100 years. When she would come to visit, she'd order tea at restaurants and was always shocked when she got iced tea rather than the hot tea she wanted. She was never good at the "when in Rome" thing. Pitched many fits. Embarrassed me no end.

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
90% of people in my town no longer order tea. They only order "sweettea" (all one word) referring to iced tea with the sugar added while it's still hot. They say it tastes better than unsweetened tea that has the sugar added after it's iced.
My dad had a first cousin who taught at Cornell U. in New York for about 100 years. When she would come to visit, she'd order tea at restaurants and was always shocked when she got iced tea rather than the hot tea she wanted. She was never good at the "when in Rome" thing. Pitched many fits. Embarrassed me no end.
The great 'pop' vs 'soda' vs 'coke' map. Nary a Yankee on there saying 'pop'. (Yankee being a New Englander.)
You, OTOH, saying 'soda' must get you funny looks given the map showing a preponderance of 'coke' lovers. Unless you live in that little, tiny corner in the, you guessed it, northeast.

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
The great 'pop' vs 'soda' vs 'coke' map. Nary a Yankee on there saying 'pop'. (Yankee being a New Englander.)
You, OTOH, saying 'soda' must get you funny looks given the map showing a preponderance of 'coke' lovers. Unless you live in that little, tiny corner in the, you guessed it, northeast.
Morticia said:
Nary a Yankee on there saying 'pop'. (Yankee being a New Englander.)
Well now we need another map. Nobody I know limits the term "Yankee" just to New England (though I stipulate that you are technically correct). Yankees to us are all people from non-Confederate Civil War states east of Nebraska, and it's not considered a compliment to call someone a Yankee.
Most of the Yankees we Arkansans run across are from Illinois and Michigan. For some reason they like to retire to Arkansas. They are not loved because they're prone to calling a spade a spade, rather than sugar-coating their opinions the way we do.
Interestingly, we like folks from New England (the real Yankees). They are considered exotic and foreign, like the British, French, or Vulcans.

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Morticia said:
Well now we need another map. Nobody I know limits the term "Yankee" just to New England (though I stipulate that you are technically correct). Yankees to us are all people from non-Confederate Civil War states east of Nebraska, and it's not considered a compliment to call someone a Yankee.
Most of the Yankees we Arkansans run across are from Illinois and Michigan. For some reason they like to retire to Arkansas. They are not loved because they're prone to calling a spade a spade, rather than sugar-coating their opinions the way we do.
Interestingly, we like folks from New England (the real Yankees). They are considered exotic and foreign, like the British, French, or Vulcans.
Arkansawyer said:
Interestingly, we
like folks from New England (the real Yankees). They are considered exotic and foreign, like the British, French, or Vulcans.
lol, you're funny.
I'm visualizing Fabio with vulcan ridges on his forehead. . . 'cep, of course he's Italian.

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Morticia said:
Arkansawyer said:
Interestingly, we
like folks from New England (the real Yankees). They are considered exotic and foreign, like the British, French, or Vulcans.
lol, you're funny.
I'm visualizing Fabio with vulcan ridges on his forehead. . . 'cep, of course he's Italian.
...with vulcan ridges on his forehead...
Vulcans don't have forehead ridges. That's the Klingons.
Vulcans have pointy ears. Like Yankees.
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Morticia said:
Arkansawyer said:
Interestingly, we
lol, you're funny.
wink_smile.gif

Arkansawyer said:
wink_smile.gif
Of course! Silly me.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Morticia said:
Arkansawyer said:
Interestingly, we
lol, you're funny.
wink_smile.gif

Arkansawyer said:
wink_smile.gif
Better pointy ears than pointy heads.

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Morticia said:
Arkansawyer said:
Interestingly, we
lol, you're funny.
wink_smile.gif

Arkansawyer said:
wink_smile.gif
Little Blue said:
Ha! Touché!

Joey Bloggs said:
ROTFLMAO!
Morticia said:
I ditto AR, Yankees are anyone north of the Mason/Dixon line. We (southerners) have a saying down here: Yankees are those that come down to visit, DAMN Yankee are the ones that never go back! I fall in the latter catagory!!!
wink_smile.gif

Edited to add: This all said in fun these days!

Back