You want me to donate how many rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbid

Reaction score
Today I had three separate calls from groups wanting me to donate room nights to their causes. MS, Auction for University Girls basketball team and some auction for some cause I had never heard of solicited from a guest who I cannot even remember who they are. It is almost a daily struggle either turn down or donate requests. A few years ago we decided to never give away free rooms during our busy Shakespeare season since everyone tried to combine rooms and tickets as a package. We do give away a lot of rooms during the off season since we sit next to a University and they always have needs for fundraising. I have found that overall, recipients of these free rooms are generally not bed & breakfast people and rarely get repeat business off of them. We do not mind doing our part but some days the calls are as bad as telemarketers. And no, I do not have time to go sit in jail until my friends and associates pony up enough money to bail me out for charity. Just venting.

Singing to the choir on this one for us here. I HEAR YA LOUD AND CLEAR!
I have vented about this same subject a dozen times here when the pressure gets to me. I will get mailings from out of state - not even neighboring states (those are easy I just throw them away).
I get two or three per week for local events - some that really get my ire, like a company picnic and they think our place is just so lovely that it would make a great door prize. It sure would - BUY A GIFT CERTIFICATE!
What affiliation do I have to your company? Why should I give you a $145-$300 gift? It makes no sense, and I tell them this when I am confronted.
We have our own charities, our own church, our own community affiliations that we donate to, our business is our business and kept that way.
Thanks for letting me vent again too.
poke.gif

I had a call recently for someone who was doing a fundraiser for their kid's after-prom party. Seriously?

After our first year in business....I learned quickly. I gave nothing away especially to strangers!!! There was only one cause I would give a free room to and when I did, it was never used. I just tossed requests in the trash. And any phone calls, I just said sorry marketing budget is depleted.

many charities (real charities) have had their funding reduced or cut and i predict you will get even more requests this year.
try (TRY) not to let it get to you. have a stock answer ... i really like 'sorry, our donations for the year are already committed.' and end the conversation.

many charities (real charities) have had their funding reduced or cut and i predict you will get even more requests this year.
try (TRY) not to let it get to you. have a stock answer ... i really like 'sorry, our donations for the year are already committed.' and end the conversation..
seashanty said:
try (TRY) not to let it get to you. have a stock answer ... i really like 'sorry, our donations for the year are already committed.' and end the conversation.
That gives them hope they will KEEP you on the list and call incessantly. There is no end of conversation with that one. These groups HAND the lists over to the next on the fundraising committee, for the next event.

Singing to the choir on this one for us here. I HEAR YA LOUD AND CLEAR!
I have vented about this same subject a dozen times here when the pressure gets to me. I will get mailings from out of state - not even neighboring states (those are easy I just throw them away).
I get two or three per week for local events - some that really get my ire, like a company picnic and they think our place is just so lovely that it would make a great door prize. It sure would - BUY A GIFT CERTIFICATE!
What affiliation do I have to your company? Why should I give you a $145-$300 gift? It makes no sense, and I tell them this when I am confronted.
We have our own charities, our own church, our own community affiliations that we donate to, our business is our business and kept that way.
Thanks for letting me vent again too.
poke.gif
And what gets me is their assurance every time that our gift is tax deductible. I often tell them they had best check with their accountant before saying that as it is NOT tax deducible for a B&B.
RIki

All of you are completely right we have one cause and give say three nights stay (individual nights at different times) and that is it. I can't believe the cheek of some people! fundrasing for their child's after prom party I can't believe they had the gall to ask!

There must a space ship flying overhead or something this week. I just spoke to a lady who wanted to book a room for a college graduation weekend in May. She was asking how many people our rooms can accommodate. I told her TWO ADULTS. We do have one room with a sofa bed for third person, say a teen ager. I don't sell this as two beds for four people - just an addtl person (with fee to discourage packing into a room)
I know you are sitting down when you read this or you will fall over - I don't make this stuff up...EIGHT people. She said she was looking for a room to accommodate 8 people. I don't think you can even have that many at a campsite!!!!
poke.gif

It is best if I don't answer the phone today. I got into a wrangle with a marketer earlier - I said, "Are you calling to make a reservation? This is a reservation line." I kept repeating it over and over as he kept saying "I am calling to update your online yellow pages listing..." You can spend all day on this dribble.

There must a space ship flying overhead or something this week. I just spoke to a lady who wanted to book a room for a college graduation weekend in May. She was asking how many people our rooms can accommodate. I told her TWO ADULTS. We do have one room with a sofa bed for third person, say a teen ager. I don't sell this as two beds for four people - just an addtl person (with fee to discourage packing into a room)
I know you are sitting down when you read this or you will fall over - I don't make this stuff up...EIGHT people. She said she was looking for a room to accommodate 8 people. I don't think you can even have that many at a campsite!!!!
poke.gif

It is best if I don't answer the phone today. I got into a wrangle with a marketer earlier - I said, "Are you calling to make a reservation? This is a reservation line." I kept repeating it over and over as he kept saying "I am calling to update your online yellow pages listing..." You can spend all day on this dribble..
THose yellow pages people NEVER give up. I have told them at least a dozen times...WE ARE CLOSED. WE ARE NOT A BUSINESS!!! They keep calling.

poke.gif

It is best if I don't answer the phone today. I got into a wrangle with a marketer earlier - I said, "Are you calling to make a reservation? This is a reservation line." I kept repeating it over and over as he kept saying "I am calling to update your online yellow pages listing..." You can spend all day on this dribble..
THose yellow pages people NEVER give up. I have told them at least a dozen times...WE ARE CLOSED. WE ARE NOT A BUSINESS!!! They keep calling.
catlady said:
And so do the telephone calls for donations to our High School sports teams. I tell them every year NO and remove my #, year after year they call anyway. If they sound like an adult I include "Would you want YOUR high school student to attempt to book here after prom? They have tried!!! Reason for me not to do anything to encourage it." Usually I get a 'OH, didn't think of that!'
smileystooges.gif

When asked I give 3 $20.00 off gift certificates to be used on separate stays. I encourage them to put them in a basket with get-away items. Always satisfies those who are asking. I do not give to out of town situations. They are occasionally used. I only give a room occasionally to a really good friends fund raiser. It keeps the people happy, but I have not given away the store.

Back