You Were Up Early This Morning...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
I've long been searching for a subtle way of telling guests that they woke us up with their noise in the bedroom.
I'm not talking about the serious offenders with the TV on loud, just those in the room above us who get up at 6.30 like this morning and then bang about showering, dressing, etc.
The best I've come up with so far is "You were up early this morning...did you sleep ok?".
Any other suggestions?

6:30 is oversleeping for my husband. What they are doing is probably normal for them. Just too bad it is over your room. That's what finally did me in after 6 years. I wanted to be able to sleep :)

I'm not trying to be offensive, but let's stop and think a minute. Does anything need to be said at all? I suppose if you do say something, then that will all but eliminate the possibility that these same guests will return to do it again.
When we invite people into our home, there are going to be issues. These just come with the territory. Short of someone doing damage to your property, behavior that's really aggressive to other guests or doing something illegal, I find it best to just bite my lip and move on.

It would be nice if you could get another guest to speak to them! That way the offender gets the message and you're not the bad guy. Can't put another guest on the spot like that, but 'twould be nice.
I think "you were up early this morning...did you sleep ok?" would be fine to say to extreme offenders.
Certainly, prominently include in your written guest policy book (the one no one reads but I), "This is a house. We don't have the soundproofing of a hotel. As you get ready in the morning, please remember that others in the house may want to sleep later than you do."

I would not say anything. They are heere a couple days and then gone. I know it is tacky, but how about tacking a piece of carpet on your ceiling to deflect the noise.

I was the only guest in a B&B a few years ago. That wasn't a problem I had tons of things to do that kept me out all day and half the night. I DID, however, get up around 6:30 AM to use the bathroom. Then I went back to sleep until breakfast time. The innkeepers greeted me in the hallway with, 'You were up early, did you have trouble sleeping?'
HELLO! Were they listening to my every move? It made me very uncomfortable. And I was glad the next night there were more guests.
We are trying to figure out how to insulate our bedroom from guest noise (and vice versa, of course). All I've been able to come with are sound dampening wall hangings. I know when the drapes are down it's much noisier, so they do absorb some of the noise.

I had a chap stay for 4 days in the room above ours who got up at 5.30 am and did jumping jacks but what can you do?

I thought it just went with the job. I have people that keep us up at night and wake us up in the morning. I had one the last two nights that came down in the middle of the night several times. I really wanted to go up and say go to bed you are waking the whole house, but it is part of the job. I just smiled in the morning and made them think they were special guests. Same guest that are not moving to leave right now. Ten minutes until check out.

Forget the early risers, I don't like the layabouts.
wink_smile.gif
At least you know they will be ready for brekkie on time!
This was yesterday catching the sunrise over the river...I know people stamping around is annoying, esp above your head, I HATE IT, but the best part of the day is when the sun comes up. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

lrg_Tony_cabin6_deck%20view%20Fall.jpg

Cabin%206%20picnic%20and%20grill%20and%20deck%20with%20view2.jpg

background music by Hall and Oats

wink_smile.gif
This was yesterday catching the sunrise over the river...I know people stamping around is annoying, esp above your head, I HATE IT, but the best part of the day is when the sun comes up. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

background music by Hall and Oats.
GORGEOUS...still got color! Which state park was this? Glad you got away and enjoyed it :)

I had a chap stay for 4 days in the room above ours who got up at 5.30 am and did jumping jacks but what can you do?.
Well I'm afraid in my book that crosses the line from mildy irritating into down right selfish and inconsiderate and I would know on his room door and say something and the 2nd morning.

wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
I wouldn't mind if that where true but in my experience the early risers are often late down to Brekkie. These two this morning were the last ones down.

there are some old threads on here about soundproofing, i don't know if anyone found a solution.
acoustic tiles on the ceiling, fabric, etc. to muffle the noise.
i sleep in a house with several housemates. my room is right next to the bathroom. all night, and i do mean all night, i am awakened by people using the bathroom. some slam down the toilet seat and cover, some seem to bang around and slam the doors, some make an effort to be quiet.
in their own room, just moving about and doing things, whatever the time, i would not make a comment like you suggests to a paying guest.
but i did have signs and i did remind guests about others sleeping when they came and went either very early or late .. most guests were considerate and made an effort.
i remember my late husband and i stayed at a place with a whirlpool tub in our bathroom. he had a sore ankle and at about 10:30 he ran the whirlpool for about 20 minutes. in the morning, the innkeeper asked if we had the tub running all night. and why we had the tub running so late. there were no rules posted about times to use it ... and we paid a lot of money for the room ... we felt like we'd been scolded for using something that went with the room. and it seemed an invasion of privacy to ask. what if we'd decided to have a tub together at that time of night? why not?!
WE didn't complain about the roosters and chickens that woke us periodically in the night and woke everyone by 5:30 am with their racket in their coop down below the guest windows. fresh eggs? great! the noise from the chicken coop? not so great.
the innkeepers were obviously early to bed and early to rise.

wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
I wouldn't mind if that where true but in my experience the early risers are often late down to Brekkie. These two this morning were the last ones down.
Highlands John said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
We get a fair amount of that, too. They're up at 7 to get coffee, they chew your ear off for an hour, slowing down getting everything done and then when it's time to eat? They say, 'OK, well we're going to go shower, see you in an hour.' WHAT? Sit down, eat, THEN shower.
I can't tell you how many come in the door from a walk at 9 AM and decide they need to wash up before eating. 9:35 they show up. Everyone else is packing their cars and these folks are just sitting down. Then they're up running to the room to get this and that. SIT!
We wait until both guests are sitting before we bring food. Before we even start cooking. When I can't get them to both sit at the same time, I have to go to the kitchen and tell DH to just cook the food. If they don't like this or that in their omelet, tough.

wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
We get a fair amount of that, too. They're up at 7 to get coffee, they chew your ear off for an hour, slowing down getting everything done and then when it's time to eat? They say, 'OK, well we're going to go shower, see you in an hour.' WHAT? Sit down, eat, THEN shower.
I can't tell you how many come in the door from a walk at 9 AM and decide they need to wash up before eating. 9:35 they show up. Everyone else is packing their cars and these folks are just sitting down. Then they're up running to the room to get this and that. SIT!
We wait until both guests are sitting before we bring food. Before we even start cooking. When I can't get them to both sit at the same time, I have to go to the kitchen and tell DH to just cook the food. If they don't like this or that in their omelet, tough.
or you are sat on your own waiting and you can hear them packing up the car! come and have your ruddy breakfast!!!! then they all come together grrrr.

wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
or you are sat on your own waiting and you can hear them packing up the car! come and have your ruddy breakfast!!!! then they all come together grrrr.

I had a chap stay for 4 days in the room above ours who got up at 5.30 am and did jumping jacks but what can you do?.
Well I'm afraid in my book that crosses the line from mildy irritating into down right selfish and inconsiderate and I would know on his room door and say something and the 2nd morning.
the trouble was that room is on on the ground floor and people assume no one us underneath as basements are a rairity here espically ones used for living space. Therefore now I do say on check in please be aware there is a bedroom below this one if you are comming in late (I don't say its mine) we havn't had a problem since.

We're lucky in that all the walls are thick, the OQ is not adjoined to any other room and no room has a shared wall with another room.
HOWEVER - the related comment that always makes me smile is:
When guests come down for an "early" cup of coffee 30 mins before breakfast, see me and say "my goodness you DO get up early". The reality is that I've already been up for an hour and a half getting their breakfast and the dining room ready, checking on the incoming guests, folding the towels I should have folded the night before etc etc .....

If other guests were awakened by this, then maybe you could say something but if not this should be dropped unless it was reckless behavior.
There are those that are just loud - some you think weigh 1000 lbs when you hear them walk above. These people are not intentionally out to disturb anyone, it is their normal actions.
We have a small tent in each room, one side has the TV channel lineup and the other quick rundown of check out & breakfast times etc. on that list is a notice of 'quiet time is from 10pm to 8am'. Of course there are those that do not read and those that 'quiet' does not mean the same for them as it does for others.

Back