"You won't mind if I come in here..."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Yes, those words were spoken today as I have blueberry pancakes cooking on the hot griddle and scrambled eggs near done on the stove...and in he walked "How old is this house? How long have you owned it? Are you from here?"
I could do nothing to fend him off, other than ignore him and be busy (as I was) so he would stop talking and wander back out.
My daughter was there, arms crossed, unsure what to do. Tomorrow we are both taking a Customer Service training from our state tourism agency (and it will be a great reminder on how to be gracious to those guests with no boundaries and not toss them out by their ears!)

'I can give you the history of the building or I can give you an unburnt breakfast. Your choice.'
DH ignores anyone talking to him while he's cooking. But he has me to run interference. I generally say, 'Sorry, he's partially deaf from his military service. Please wait until he can look at you while you talk.'
Now that backs them off.

If you have to answer to a health code, shouldn't there be something in there about persons other than staff being in the kitchen?

My sister and her partner were visiting at Easter, the 4 of us were slobbed out in our private lounge having a drink and catching up.
A guest walked straight in, in his pyjamas, without even knocking, ignoring the "Private" sign on the door and starts asking me questions about what he should do the next day.
I was so taken aback, both angry and embarassed, that I didn't know what to say.

My sister and her partner were visiting at Easter, the 4 of us were slobbed out in our private lounge having a drink and catching up.
A guest walked straight in, in his pyjamas, without even knocking, ignoring the "Private" sign on the door and starts asking me questions about what he should do the next day.
I was so taken aback, both angry and embarassed, that I didn't know what to say..
Highlands John said:
I was so taken aback, both angry and embarassed, that I didn't know what to say.
I hear ya!
We have that sign on our back door for that reason, I will never forget a similar scenario here.
Well in his defence, speaking to him later on, he was born in 1927. I think they think, if you are born in 1927 you have earned the right to be cantankerous and go wherever you please. bless his heart...
Like everything for us innkeepers, whatever it is happens quickly, without notice and we have a 2 second time frame to deal with it. Yeah who knew innkeeping was like sniper duty.

you won't mind ... i am so sorry!
health code schmealth code ... guests who are really liking the whole b&b experience ... really connecting with the innkeeper(s) feel like friends ... the lines blur ... yes, they totally understand that the kitchen is just for 'staff' but this does not apply to THEM. they totally get that health codes prohibit them from coming in to the kitchen, oh yes ... they understand ... but they just want to chat or to watch or to help.
i had to put up a moveable barrier ... inconvenient as heck ... but i needed a physical block since i was often alone ... people would come in to chat, would grab plates to 'help' serve, would try to open the fridge to get things out for me ... would try bringing their dirty dishes into the kitchen, piling them up right where clean things and food prep was going on.

health code schmealth code ... guests who are really liking the whole b&b experience ... really connecting with the innkeeper(s) feel like friends ... the lines blur ... yes, they totally understand that the kitchen is just for 'staff' but this does not apply to THEM. they totally get that health codes prohibit them from coming in to the kitchen, oh yes ... they understand ... but they just want to chat or to watch or to help.
i had to put up a moveable barrier ... inconvenient as heck ... but i needed a physical block since i was often alone ... people would come in to chat, would grab plates to 'help' serve, would try to open the fridge to get things out for me ... would try bringing their dirty dishes into the kitchen, piling them up right where clean things and food prep was going on..
seashanty said:
would try bringing their dirty dishes into the kitchen, piling them up right where clean things and food prep was going on.
This drives me batty. We have the coffee bar laid out with juices, glasses and all the coffee stuff. 'Helpful' guests will pile up their dirty dishes right in front of the juice so no one can get anything. Or they will come right into the kitchen and hand me everything when there is OBVIOUSLY no room for the dirty stuff.
I am plating food and they are handing me dirty dishes. STOP IT!

It's our own fault...we make them feel so welcome and it looks to them like being an innkeeper is so relaxing and easy. It just does not seem to them like we are going as fast as we can to get the breakfast on the table...they really feel like it is a piece of cake!
We occasionally have guests wander into the kitchen at breakfast but generally we try to make it clear to them from the start (by closing the dining room door right after breakfast and keeping it closed) that the dining room is as far as they get. DH always greets them and takes the beverage order when they enter, encouraging them to sit right down. Even so, every now and then one of them just will not be stopped and breaks through the private "barrier".

Sorry sir, health code does not allow guests in the kitchen while we are making breakfast.
And they are quickly out of the kitchen. It's difficult to argue with the health code, even if it isn't actually in there. Or conversely, OSHA, Worker's Safety, Occupational Safety, etc. Just make it sound official.

i had to put up a moveable barrier ... inconvenient as heck ... but i needed a physical block since i was often alone ... people would come in to chat, would grab plates to 'help' serve, would try to open the fridge to get things out for me ... would try bringing their dirty dishes into the kitchen, piling them up right where clean things and food prep was going on..
seashanty said:
would try bringing their dirty dishes into the kitchen, piling them up right where clean things and food prep was going on.
This drives me batty. We have the coffee bar laid out with juices, glasses and all the coffee stuff. 'Helpful' guests will pile up their dirty dishes right in front of the juice so no one can get anything. Or they will come right into the kitchen and hand me everything when there is OBVIOUSLY no room for the dirty stuff.
We have it, but seldom. I usually say that if they clean up the plates, that I'm going to have to fire DH and they wouldn't want him to be unemployed, would they? They stop.
What I hate are the idiots who put their napkin right in the plate covered with maple syrup. Certainly they can put it to the side to be cleared properly.

seashanty said:
We have it, but seldom. I usually say that if they clean up the plates, that I'm going to have to fire DH and they wouldn't want him to be unemployed, would they? They stop.
What I hate are the idiots who put their napkin right in the plate covered with maple syrup. Certainly they can put it to the side to be cleared properly.
and the same thing with yogurt pots! we serve jam in the tiny jars which are then recycled - they shove everything into the pot and I have to fish it all out again! bleugh! plus tomato sauce and brown sauce belugh!"

seashanty said:
Same here, drives me nuts. But it is always the really nice, helpful guests, so I have to be nice and point out that we have a system (I clear into big plastic tubs to get it out of sight), a separate dishwasher in the breakfast service area (so don't bring your dishes into the kitchen 'cause I just have to take them back out), and that they paid for me to wait on them.

seashanty said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I tell them something similar when they try to help clear the table. Then DH drifts in and says what I just told them "I have a system and you would not want to mess up my system would you?"
I hate the ones that use my napkins as a handkerchief. GROSS!!!!!

seashanty said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I tell them something similar when they try to help clear the table. Then DH drifts in and says what I just told them "I have a system and you would not want to mess up my system would you?"
gillumhouse said:
EEeeeewww That's disgusting. I'd throw them out for that.
I miss the chooks. Every scrap of left over food, bits of rolls, bacon fat, egg, sausage, mouldy fruit, I would stand at the kitchen door and throw it into their run. Occasionally I would miss and dh would complain that he found a bit of wet, soggy toast in his veggy patch.

seashanty said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
I miss the chooks. Every scrap of left over food, bits of rolls, bacon fat, egg, sausage, mouldy fruit, I would stand at the kitchen door and throw it into their run. Occasionally I would miss and dh would complain that he found a bit of wet, soggy toast in his veggy patch.
Highlands John said:
I miss the chooks...I would stand at the kitchen door and throw it into their run.
I guess I just don't understand Scottish. I have no idea what you're talking about!

seashanty said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Highlands John said:
I miss the chooks...I would stand at the kitchen door and throw it into their run.
I guess I just don't understand Scottish. I have no idea what you're talking about!
Chooks = chickens.

Last year the kitchen got a door with a small window at eye height. It opens when I bring out the courses, coffee, etc...out, otherwise it stays closed. That was what it took to put an end to the problem. We lock it at night.

we do the same....its really simple for us-we tell them (whether its true or not we dont know) that guests are not allowed in the kitchen by health dept rules. That is what we were told when we came here-it works like a charm (when we are at the Inn) oir while cooking breakfast. Specially for "safety" because we would not be responsible if you (the guest) may get burned etc...

Y'all are missing the point, I had two burners on high - a griddle with 4 blueberry pancakes nearly done and 12 scrambled eggs, there was no way to turn and talk or redirect. There are plenty of things I could say, but not at that point in time, so the weasel, ahem lovely guest was able to waltz in...
Bless his little heart... haha

Y'all are missing the point, I had two burners on high - a griddle with 4 blueberry pancakes nearly done and 12 scrambled eggs, there was no way to turn and talk or redirect. There are plenty of things I could say, but not at that point in time, so the weasel, ahem lovely guest was able to waltz in...
Bless his little heart... haha.
Joey Bloggs said:
Bless his little heart... haha
JB - I don't know how you kept your mouth closed. I seldom cook things on the stove, I opt to the oven dishes mostly but even then I can not be stopped by a barging guest as it upsets my rhythm.
We use to have a regular that came in the kitchen every single time he was there. He and his wife are friends with a celebrity that lives here in town that sends others, so instead of me booting him out of the kitchen I altered my routine to be ready to serve him early. He can no longer take stairs so they have to stay in a hotel when they come to town.

Back