Your confirmation email to guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I'm not really interested (this time) in what is IN your email, just how it looks when it arrives in my inbox.
  • Do I know this email is from a place I booked a stay?
  • How do I know that?
  • What is your subject line?
  • What does the 'From' line tell me?
  • What keeps me from dumping your email in my spam pile without even opening it?
Just a few questions to ask yourselves...

If it is automatically sent from Webervations it will say:
Webervations Reservation !! from the BBOnline Web site in the subject line. I have no idea why it is saying BBONLINE I can't find where to change that.
Then the first few lines of the email say B&B Name, Confimation #, Dates, Price and then anything else you have customized ie policies, directions.

I understand where you are coming from on this. I have battled this for a while myself. I use Webervations and at first had them automatically sent but found that many (most) were being sent to spam folders and never received.
Now, I do the following:
  • Change the subject line to read: (Guest name) Reservation - My B&B. - reply requested
  • Send the confirmation to ME
  • I forward to guest, stripping the FW & any other info
This does not stop some email software from placing it in their spam folder, but I did find that the odds were more in my favor this way. I do request a quick reply agreeing to the reservation policies and retain this in my files.

I understand where you are coming from on this. I have battled this for a while myself. I use Webervations and at first had them automatically sent but found that many (most) were being sent to spam folders and never received.
Now, I do the following:
  • Change the subject line to read: (Guest name) Reservation - My B&B. - reply requested
This does not stop some email software from placing it in their spam folder, but I did find that the odds were more in my favor this way. I do request a quick reply agreeing to the reservation policies and retain this in my files..
I got a confirmation for the place I am staying. No identifying info as to where it was from, a generic subject line that probably means something to the innkeeper, but nothing to me. Because it looked like spam, I almost dumped it. But, because I was waiting for a confirmation, I checked it out.
I guess what I would like to make clear is that the confirmations we send should be clearly identifiable by the recipient. 'From' should by the name of the inn (or, your name @ the name of your inn); subject should reference in some way that this a confirmation or request for more info but not something generic (or something that sounds like spam).
A lot of my emails end up as spam. Or, at least I think they do as relatively few people email back that they received it, even tho that is a very prominent request on my part in the email. We've been over this before, tho, and I think my subject line is too pertinent. It clearly states this is your confirmation so I also think few people even open it!

I changed mine after our last discussion about it. The subject line is MyInn Reservation Details - Please Reply. The email address that send it is [email protected]. Both seem to help get it past the spam filters, but I am trying to get better about following up with a phone call when I don't get a reply.

After the last discussion of the subject I started using Details for XYZ House March 16 - 17, 2009 for example in the Subject line. The body of the e-mail is a confirmation letter on my letterhead spelling out what is included, day and date of arrival and departure date, cancellation policy, and directions. Also reitterate dietary restrictions and requirements. One guy smarted off and said no brussel sprouts and that was in the confirmation letter. It there have been any special requests, they are also spelled out.

Now, I do the following:
This does not stop some email software from placing it in their spam folder, but I did find that the odds were more in my favor this way. I do request a quick reply agreeing to the reservation policies and retain this in my files..
I got a confirmation for the place I am staying. No identifying info as to where it was from, a generic subject line that probably means something to the innkeeper, but nothing to me. Because it looked like spam, I almost dumped it. But, because I was waiting for a confirmation, I checked it out.
I guess what I would like to make clear is that the confirmations we send should be clearly identifiable by the recipient. 'From' should by the name of the inn (or, your name @ the name of your inn); subject should reference in some way that this a confirmation or request for more info but not something generic (or something that sounds like spam).
A lot of my emails end up as spam. Or, at least I think they do as relatively few people email back that they received it, even tho that is a very prominent request on my part in the email. We've been over this before, tho, and I think my subject line is too pertinent. It clearly states this is your confirmation so I also think few people even open it!
I think people just choose not to reply to the confirmation email and they are clicking on "cancel" for the return receipt function or whatever their email program says. My subject line has "My Inn Reservation Confirmation - Guest Name, Arrival Date". I always send a copy to myself. I don't like the auto generated subject line in the rez software. It will all dump into the same place in my mail program if I left it alone.

Now, I do the following:
I think people just choose not to reply to the confirmation email and they are clicking on "cancel" for the return receipt function or whatever their email program says. My subject line has "My Inn Reservation Confirmation - Guest Name, Arrival Date". I always send a copy to myself. I don't like the auto generated subject line in the rez software. It will all dump into the same place in my mail program if I left it alone.
Samster said:
I have it set up i outlook to never send a rcpt. Many probably do the same.

Back