Your email flagged as spam- resolution?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
My email is regularly flagged as spam by spam filters. I dutifully fill out the forms to get the flag removed but it happens again in a few months. Anyone have any luck getting MS to undo the flag on hotmail? I have now filled out 2 forms, one of them obviously implying I am sending 100's of emails out when it is only one email to one guest. They say they will call me to resolve the issue.
In the meantime, the guest has no response to their email and is sitting home thinking we don't care.
AOL is the same way. Zero emails of mine go thru to AOL. I am going to have to change the reservation form to require something other than an AOL account.

I wish I could help. I have never used hotmail or AOL for my e-mails. have several e-mails set up through my web host and all are @gillumhouse.com. DS set up a web site for his Dad with the paintings and added a contact e-mail that has a redirect to my e-mail address. Does it tell you that you are flagged? I have had a few bouce-backs but it is usually because I entered their address incorrectly.

I have the same problem with some servers marking us a spam. It is very frustrating and as a result we will be looking into changing our mail server. We use the [email protected] which I suppose can be transferred to a new outgoing server.
Sometimes I back up my business reply e-mails using my personal yahoo mail account. Strangely enough, the yahoo address always gets through.

I have the same problem with some servers marking us a spam. It is very frustrating and as a result we will be looking into changing our mail server. We use the [email protected] which I suppose can be transferred to a new outgoing server.
Sometimes I back up my business reply e-mails using my personal yahoo mail account. Strangely enough, the yahoo address always gets through..
My Fairpoint email almost always goes thru but I had to change to a gmail account to correspond off forum with some folks. (Who somedays, I am sure, wish I still had the other account and they didn't have to listen to me!)
I'll look at what Eric recommended for the AOL emails we receive.

Sometimes I back up my business reply e-mails using my personal yahoo mail account. Strangely enough, the yahoo address always gets through..
My Fairpoint email almost always goes thru but I had to change to a gmail account to correspond off forum with some folks. (Who somedays, I am sure, wish I still had the other account and they didn't have to listen to me!)
Basically, if you have control over your domain, you just need to make a few small changes to get Google to handle your email. You authenticate outgoing mail and everything works. If you have another account, you can even set it up to pick up your email at that other site.
Basically, you leave the @ (ie your normal domain) set as it is. You set up a few CNAME entries...
calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
you set these to ghs.google.com
The instructions on how to set your MX records are here: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=174125&topic=2683820&ctx=topic
And for email security, you can add one TXT record. It points at @ and reads "v-spf1 include:aspmx.googlemail.com ~all" but it will work without it. You are limited to 10 email accounts and 10 GB per email account before you have to pay.
And if you really need help, hit me up in email.

Basically, if you have control over your domain, you just need to make a few small changes to get Google to handle your email. You authenticate outgoing mail and everything works. If you have another account, you can even set it up to pick up your email at that other site.
Basically, you leave the @ (ie your normal domain) set as it is. You set up a few CNAME entries...
calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
The instructions on how to set your MX records are here: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=174125&topic=2683820&ctx=topic
And for email security, you can add one TXT record. It points at @ and reads "v-spf1 include:aspmx.googlemail.com ~all" but it will work without it. You are limited to 10 email accounts and 10 GB per email account before you have to pay.
Dang. My domain host doesn't let me do anything like that. I've tried. I've called their help desk and spoken with 3-4 different techs (some very helpful) but no go. Thanks for the help!

calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
Dang. My domain host doesn't let me do anything like that. I've tried. I've called their help desk and spoken with 3-4 different techs (some very helpful) but no go. Thanks for the help!
Who has control of your domain name? Do they have a cpanel? Do they have whm? Give me some more info. Helps when you are an ISP :) and teach this stuff for a living.

calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
Thanks Eric, Sending your reply to DH as it's all Geek to me!

calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
Who has control of your domain name? Do they have a cpanel? Do they have whm? Give me some more info. Helps when you are an ISP :) and teach this stuff for a living.
My ISP is Fairpoint. My website resides on Verio. Yes, they have a cpanel, no I have been unable to make changes even with their help. Usually they tell me that it can't be done. (This was all related to getting my blog listed on my website. I haven't tried changing the emailer.)

calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
My ISP is Fairpoint. My website resides on Verio. Yes, they have a cpanel, no I have been unable to make changes even with their help. Usually they tell me that it can't be done. (This was all related to getting my blog listed on my website. I haven't tried changing the emailer.)
I assume Verio controls your domain then. Can you ask Verio, if I give you the DNS entries that need to be entered exactly, can then enter them for you? Because they are fairly simple entries. Essentially it's a text file and then just need to put the entries in for you.
OR
Since I see that your hosting includes email. Ask them to set up email for you and help you with the entries you need for SMTP with SMTP-Auth/Start-TLS, which would mean you would have email with your own domain and you would be sending it out via their server instead of via your ISP.

calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
I assume Verio controls your domain then. Can you ask Verio, if I give you the DNS entries that need to be entered exactly, can then enter them for you? Because they are fairly simple entries. Essentially it's a text file and then just need to put the entries in for you.
OR
Since I see that your hosting includes email. Ask them to set up email for you and help you with the entries you need for SMTP with SMTP-Auth/Start-TLS, which would mean you would have email with your own domain and you would be sending it out via their server instead of via your ISP.
I do have email set up thru them.
But, it's not my 'email' that is being blocked so much as it is my domain. I can send the same email from a personal Fairpoint account and it goes thru. It's the domain that no one likes.
Heck, even FB wouldn't let me set up my account using it.

calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
OR
I do have email set up thru them.
But, it's not my 'email' that is being blocked so much as it is my domain. I can send the same email from a personal Fairpoint account and it goes thru. It's the domain that no one likes.
Heck, even FB wouldn't let me set up my account using it.
Two questions then....
Is it being blocked because of your domain name, ie @mybedandbreakfast.com
Or is it being blocked because of the IP address of THEIR smtp server? If it is their IP address, then the problem is that they are being used by spammers, to send out mail and you are getting caught in the cross fire. They need to clean up shop.

calendar
docs
mail
sites
etc
OR
Incidentally, the SMTP-Auth/Start-TLS is very important. It means that your email is going out through their server, but authenticated by them. But most ISPs block port 25, the normal SMTP port, to prevent spamming. You need to use a different port, which is why the authentication has to happen. Ports 587 and 465 are often used as authenticated ports.

Back