Your favorite photo software?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I'm taking new pix but I need photo software. Basically all mine does is crop, compress and basic lightening and darkening tasks. Or, maybe I just need lessons, but I think I need software. I'm using MS Office Picture Manager right now. If anyone else is, is it very basic or am I missing some of the features? I also have Print Shop Photo Pro that was something that came free with my computer. And Adobe Photoshop Album Starter is another one that came with the computer. Any of these worth learning or are there better ones out there?

I like Picasa by Google. It's a free download..
penelope said:
I like Picasa by Google. It's a free download.
Anyone else use both a paid and this free one?
(Sorry, I think we went thru all of this last year. It's all starting to sound very familiar...)

I use Fireworks. Gimp is an opensource editor that will give you more power than any of the other free versions of anything.

i use picassa and ms office picture because they are free. my son is the one with the photoshop and all those bells and whistles

Hate to drag this back out here again, but I am finally getting around to doing this. In looking at downloading GIMP I get the impression that I have to download download software before I can download the photo editor. Does this make sense? Is this how others did this?
Actually, let me ask this question before I go thru this whole thing for nothing...I am trying to resize photos to fit my new dimensions. So, let's say I have a photo that is 2592x1944. I want to resize that to 830x320. Will it let me do that and retain the photo integrity? Or am I trying to do something impossible?
I have resized the photo (unsaved) to 800x600 but that's as far as I can go and that's way too tall. If I resize it using the height first it will be too narrow.

Hate to drag this back out here again, but I am finally getting around to doing this. In looking at downloading GIMP I get the impression that I have to download download software before I can download the photo editor. Does this make sense? Is this how others did this?
Actually, let me ask this question before I go thru this whole thing for nothing...I am trying to resize photos to fit my new dimensions. So, let's say I have a photo that is 2592x1944. I want to resize that to 830x320. Will it let me do that and retain the photo integrity? Or am I trying to do something impossible?
I have resized the photo (unsaved) to 800x600 but that's as far as I can go and that's way too tall. If I resize it using the height first it will be too narrow..
I get the impression that I have to download download software before I can download the photo editor.
If you have windows XP or later you should not need the downloader downloader (LOL) you should be able to just download the exe file then run it to install it.
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
I am trying to resize photos to fit my new dimensions. So, let's say I have a photo that is 2592x1944. I want to resize that to 830x320.
Sure it will do it, but you can't do it one shot because the proportions don't match. The first one is 4:3 and your custom 83:32. You'd have to scale it to 830 wide and then crop it to 320 tall. It can handle that no problem at all.

I have resized the photo (unsaved) to 800x600 but that's as far as I can go and that's way too tall. If I resize it using the height first it will be too narrow..
I get the impression that I have to download download software before I can download the photo editor.
If you have windows XP or later you should not need the downloader downloader (LOL) you should be able to just download the exe file then run it to install it.
I am trying to resize photos to fit my new dimensions. So, let's say I have a photo that is 2592x1944. I want to resize that to 830x320.
Sure it will do it, but you can't do it one shot because the proportions don't match. The first one is 4:3 and your custom 83:32. You'd have to scale it to 830 wide and then crop it to 320 tall. It can handle that no problem at all.
That makes sense (the photo editing) except the cropping will cut out half of what I'm trying to show. There's no 'fat' in the photo. (And it's a food photo, so it's totally 'fat' but you get what I mean!)

Every time I get a "new" system courtesy of a crash or a new all-in-one, I get a new photo editor to learn (bundled). I liked the HP photo program with my prev all-in-one because I could save in the dpi of my choosing - so I could make my digital shots print printable. It seems the only way I can do a dpi with this one (HP Photosmart Premier) is if I scan the photo. Picasa does not (unless I have not found it yet) have the dpi either. Photosmart does let me resize better though.

That makes sense (the photo editing) except the cropping will cut out half of what I'm trying to show. There's no 'fat' in the photo. (And it's a food photo, so it's totally 'fat' but you get what I mean!)
You have to cut something if you truly want to re-proportion an image. Either that or you end up skewing the proportions so your images will get squashed (because you are making it less tall and things will look pretty distorted.
picture-1.png

You have to cut something if you truly want to re-proportion an image. Either that or you end up skewing the proportions so your images will get squashed (because you are making it less tall and things will look pretty distorted.
picture-1.png

That's pretty much what happens!
I'm going to try it again today and see if I can't crop something.

Back