Your Go-To Baked Item?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've cheated lately and gone to the local Hy-Vee bakery. For $3 I can get a 10" long banana bread with fresh bananas that stays fresh for days! Will post recipes as time allows.
I just posted a recipe, my first one, and I messed up the title. Accidentally hit enter. I need to correct it. thanks.

I've cheated lately and gone to the local Hy-Vee bakery. For $3 I can get a 10" long banana bread with fresh bananas that stays fresh for days! Will post recipes as time allows.
I just posted a recipe, my first one, and I messed up the title. Accidentally hit enter. I need to correct it. thanks..
That reminds me.....Seashanty's Banana Bread recipe here on the forum is always a winner for me. :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I am definitely not a great baker so it always helps me to use a recipe that someone has tried, and I love the secret tips.
Mort, I have the cobbler in the over right now and if it tastes anywhere close to as good as it smells I think we'll be in great shape. Too funny, right after I decided to make that for tomorrow I checked in two very nice people from your neck of the woods...he is a bagpiper and has his pipes with him...he plans to play outside so I hope I catch the show! I didn't have as many ramekins as I thought so I am baking the cobbler in the big dish and will serve it in a small bowl with homemade whipped cream tomorrow morning.
Big Bri that recipe sounds really tasty and versatile (with being able to add different sauces). Now is a good time for me to experiment with it as we are not super busy. When we are full we can have up to 21 people so I don't know if I could keep up with that many. We love any and everything made in cast iron!
Gillum, I looked at that recipe while browsing today and it sounds like we could do that easily, even with the full house..
The whipped cream is VERY important!
I did the cobbler with apples, pears and blueberries. When I made the whipped cream I added a bit of almond extract to it...tasted really nice with those fruits!
It was a huge hit, thanks gain for sharing.
That's one of the best combos, too!
Morticia said:
Do you serve the cobbler in place of the fruit or the baked item or both? Is it like dessert? Sounds wonderful!
Country Girl said:
Morticia said:
Do you serve the cobbler in place of the fruit or the baked item or both? Is it like dessert? Sounds wonderful!
We don't do a baked item. So, it is in place of the fruit course here. Because it has the oatmeal and the fruit, I'd sub it out for both the fruit and baked good and just make the serving a little larger.
And, yes, it is JUST like dessert! I get a pounding sugar headache from it, but I eat it anyway!
I served it as a baked good with a veggie/egg/cheese casserole and fresh fruit on the side. I ate a portion myself and thought it was divine!
I didn't have as many ramekins as I thought so what I ended up doing was baking the cobbler the day before in a 9x13 dish. Next morning I heated it as 350 for about 10 minutes to get it hot, then cut it into 8 square portions. Then I spooned the portions into a little serving bowl...it scopped very easily and I could make sure everyone got a nice sized and nicely rounded out portion with the whipped cream on top.

I just posted a recipe, my first one, and I messed up the title. Accidentally hit enter. I need to correct it. thanks..
That reminds me.....Seashanty's Banana Bread recipe here on the forum is always a winner for me. :)
Yes, I need to check that out too.
I should have clarified, I was asking for a baked good to serve instead of muffins/scones that I usually do. But I am loving all of these recipes and thank you all so much for sharing!
For today I currently have in the over the Stuffed Peach French Toast recipe that is posted under Recipes here. I didn't have ramekins so used regular sized bowls so it's gonna be HUGE! But we only have 3 guests so it was no big deal. It smells awesome in the oven right now!

What about scones? Or drop biscuits?
Does it have to be sweet or would savory work?
Recipe for cheesy biscuits:
2 C Flour (I use 1/2 C whole wheat)
4 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 1/2 T shortening
1 C milk or water (I use milk)
1/2 t garlic powder
1 - 1 1/2 C Sharp Cheddar or Asiago or Pepper Jack shredded cheese
Mix all dry ingredients together. Cut in the shortening. Mix in cheese. Add milk. Drop onto a greased cookie sheet. 450 deg for 10-12 minutes.
I've been working on making it a sweet recipe, but haven't perfected the ratios of sugar and spices

Not sure if this is something your looking for Rupert, but our most served baked item is Dutch Baby Pancakes.
We preheat the oven to 475 and use a 6 inch cast iron skillet, but a person could use any kind of oven safe baking dish.
After the oven is preheated, I put the dish in the oven to get it heated up. I only leave it in there for a few minutes while I make up the batter.
The batter is real simple: 1 Egg, 1/4 of flour, 1/4 cup of whole milk and a dash of salt.
I beat the egg first, then add the milk (stirring it in) and then the flour. Dont over beat the batter. I then take out the pan from the oven, put 1 teaspoon of non-salted butter in the pan and let it melt so I can coat the bottom of the pan. I add the salt to the batter, give it one last stir and pour into the pan. I place the pan back in the oven for 10 minutes and it's done.
After it is done baking we remove it from the pan immeadiately, sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar and serve along side breakfast meat and fresh fruit.
We also will serve a home-made blueberry sauce or carmel sauce for people to put on the cake. We will give them maple syrup too, but try to get people to try something new with the carmel sauce or blueberry sauce and most people like to try it.
The person who gave me the recipe used 4 inch ramekins, and the batter was enough to make 2 of them if I remember them telling me. With the 6 inch skillet, I use all the batter for one person because it makes a fairly large cake..
These always turn out wonderful for me. However I don't consider them as a baked good but serve them as the main course.

I will be totally honest here...
Enhancement of a mix will be my "go to" baked item when I am pushed for time. There is a Cinnabon muffin/bread mix that I'll add fruit or mini chocolate chips to. Always delicious, hassle-free, and guests LOVE it!
I make a from scratch fruit crisp that guests also love but that I consider my fruit course. Sometimes, I will not have an additional baked item that is sweet if I'm serving that. I've found that too much will get left by the guests..
I make most of my baked goods from scratch but in a pinch Pillsbury has a couple of quick breads that are good and the guests rave about them. The cranberry mix I doctor up by adding some crasins and orange zest, the pumpkin I add goden raisins and sometimes chopped walnuts, the cinnamon swirl I leave alone. They used to make a wonderful lemon poppy seed. Don't bother with the banana (I make that from scratch) and I haven't tried the date. I also make each loaf in 4 small loaf pans because we only have 4 rooms and if we aren't full I would find myself throwing some away. One little loaf is enough for two people. Then I freeze the loafs not used that day.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am definitely not a great baker so it always helps me to use a recipe that someone has tried, and I love the secret tips.
Mort, I have the cobbler in the over right now and if it tastes anywhere close to as good as it smells I think we'll be in great shape. Too funny, right after I decided to make that for tomorrow I checked in two very nice people from your neck of the woods...he is a bagpiper and has his pipes with him...he plans to play outside so I hope I catch the show! I didn't have as many ramekins as I thought so I am baking the cobbler in the big dish and will serve it in a small bowl with homemade whipped cream tomorrow morning.
Big Bri that recipe sounds really tasty and versatile (with being able to add different sauces). Now is a good time for me to experiment with it as we are not super busy. When we are full we can have up to 21 people so I don't know if I could keep up with that many. We love any and everything made in cast iron!
Gillum, I looked at that recipe while browsing today and it sounds like we could do that easily, even with the full house..
I did the cobbler with apples, pears and blueberries. When I made the whipped cream I added a bit of almond extract to it...tasted really nice with those fruits!
Morticia said:
Country Girl said:
Morticia said:
We don't do a baked item. So, it is in place of the fruit course here. Because it has the oatmeal and the fruit, I'd sub it out for both the fruit and baked good and just make the serving a little larger.
And, yes, it is JUST like dessert! I get a pounding sugar headache from it, but I eat it anyway!
I served it as a baked good with a veggie/egg/cheese casserole and fresh fruit on the side. I ate a portion myself and thought it was divine!
I didn't have as many ramekins as I thought so what I ended up doing was baking the cobbler the day before in a 9x13 dish. Next morning I heated it as 350 for about 10 minutes to get it hot, then cut it into 8 square portions. Then I spooned the portions into a little serving bowl...it scopped very easily and I could make sure everyone got a nice sized and nicely rounded out portion with the whipped cream on top.
That's a HUGE serving. I generally get 14 servings from a 9x13 dish! If I have fewer guests they'll get more, tho.

Morticia said:
Country Girl said:
Morticia said:
That's a HUGE serving. I generally get 14 servings from a 9x13 dish! If I have fewer guests they'll get more, tho.
I meant to take a pic of the whole plate but I served it all at once so didn't have time. It didn't really look huge, it was in a small dish. There were probably 2 servings left in the pan just from "drippings" as I scooped it out. Not one bite was left on any plate!

Back