Your Go-To Baked Item?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
What is your most frequently made baked good for breakfast? Something that comes out perfectly every time, is delicious and impresses...I'm sick to death of blueberry muffins and looking to expand my repertoire a bit but I'd like to start with some tried-and-true favorites if you don't mind sharing.

"Everything but the kitchen sink cobbler." You can use almost any fruit you have on hand, but the blueberries make it stand out. I haven't found subbing strawberries or raspberries works, but blackberries do work. The best part is, it's great for fruit that won't work well on its own-something past its pretty state. You can make it in a big pan or single servings.
I think it's in the recipe section already, but this is it:
7 tbsps COLD butter
1/2 c flour
1 c oatmeal, uncooked
1 c firmly packed brown sugar, light or dark
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 c fruit, peeled, pitted & chopped into bite size pieces (mix and match the fruit!) Good choices: apples, pears, nectarines, plums, peaches
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c blueberries or blackberries
whipped cream
You can make this the night before and cook in the morning.
Butter a 9x13 baking dish. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix 4 cups of fruit with 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, let stand. (Not the berries.)
In separate bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon. Cut butter into small chunks and quickly cut into flour mixture. Should be crumbly.
Pour fruit mixture into greased baking dish, top with blueberries or blackberries, spread out evenly in dish. Top with flour mixture, spread out evenly over fruit.
Bake for 45 minutes, until bubbly. You can cover with tin foil for the first 30 minutes to retain moisture, then uncover for last 15 minutes.
If you use a smaller baking dish, put a cookie sheet under the dish so it doesn't bubble over onto the oven.
Scoop out with a big spoon into a dessert bowl and put whipped cream on top for a special treat.
Makes 8-10 small servings.
What I find works better is to not put the butter in the topping, but to cut it into small chunks and make sure there is a chunk on top of each 'serving.' I was getting 'dry spots' before I did it this way.

Thank you Mort! I love cobblers, I have small ramekins and I think I am going to experiment with using them.

Not sure if this is something your looking for Rupert, but our most served baked item is Dutch Baby Pancakes.
We preheat the oven to 475 and use a 6 inch cast iron skillet, but a person could use any kind of oven safe baking dish.
After the oven is preheated, I put the dish in the oven to get it heated up. I only leave it in there for a few minutes while I make up the batter.
The batter is real simple: 1 Egg, 1/4 of flour, 1/4 cup of whole milk and a dash of salt.
I beat the egg first, then add the milk (stirring it in) and then the flour. Dont over beat the batter. I then take out the pan from the oven, put 1 teaspoon of non-salted butter in the pan and let it melt so I can coat the bottom of the pan. I add the salt to the batter, give it one last stir and pour into the pan. I place the pan back in the oven for 10 minutes and it's done.
After it is done baking we remove it from the pan immeadiately, sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar and serve along side breakfast meat and fresh fruit.
We also will serve a home-made blueberry sauce or carmel sauce for people to put on the cake. We will give them maple syrup too, but try to get people to try something new with the carmel sauce or blueberry sauce and most people like to try it.
The person who gave me the recipe used 4 inch ramekins, and the batter was enough to make 2 of them if I remember them telling me. With the 6 inch skillet, I use all the batter for one person because it makes a fairly large cake.

Since I usually have a lot of bananas "on the verge" or beyonf fruit basket quality, I make a lot of banana muffins and add chocolate chips to it. That is always a winner. My "most served" is the English muffin bread. The cranberry tri[le sec muffins are also a big hit.
You have a larger inn and a lot of turnover traffic. You might want to mix up the recipe known as Morning Glory Muffins. The batter will keep in the fridge for several days so you could serve them twice in one week with different guests but only one batch of batter. They have carrots, coconut, raisins (I like chopped prunes better), nuts, and I add chocolate chips and chopped dried apricots.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am definitely not a great baker so it always helps me to use a recipe that someone has tried, and I love the secret tips.
Mort, I have the cobbler in the over right now and if it tastes anywhere close to as good as it smells I think we'll be in great shape. Too funny, right after I decided to make that for tomorrow I checked in two very nice people from your neck of the woods...he is a bagpiper and has his pipes with him...he plans to play outside so I hope I catch the show! I didn't have as many ramekins as I thought so I am baking the cobbler in the big dish and will serve it in a small bowl with homemade whipped cream tomorrow morning.
Big Bri that recipe sounds really tasty and versatile (with being able to add different sauces). Now is a good time for me to experiment with it as we are not super busy. When we are full we can have up to 21 people so I don't know if I could keep up with that many. We love any and everything made in cast iron!
Gillum, I looked at that recipe while browsing today and it sounds like we could do that easily, even with the full house.

[h1]Baird House Hashbrown Casserole[/h1]Ingredients:
1 bag country-style hashbrowns
1 bunch of green onions, chopped including greens
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can of cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Topping:
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 cups crushed cornflakes
Casserole:
Combine all the casserole ingredients in large mixing bowl. Spray a 9×13-inch Pyrex dish with non-stick cooking oil and spread hashbrown mixture in dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Topping and Baking:
in the morning, preheat oven 375 F. Mix melted butter with crushed cornflakes. Spread over top of casserole and bake 45-55 minutes, until bubbly.

1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Topping:
1/2 stick butter, melted
Casserole:
Combine all the casserole ingredients in large mixing bowl. Spray a 9×13-inch Pyrex dish with non-stick cooking oil and spread hashbrown mixture in dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Topping and Baking:
in the morning, preheat oven 375 F. Mix melted butter with crushed cornflakes. Spread over top of casserole and bake 45-55 minutes, until bubbly..
Thanks for sharing this Tomtrex! Are these the cut into little squares hashbrowns or the shredded kind? I suppose it would work with either...

Thanks for the suggestions! I am definitely not a great baker so it always helps me to use a recipe that someone has tried, and I love the secret tips.
Mort, I have the cobbler in the over right now and if it tastes anywhere close to as good as it smells I think we'll be in great shape. Too funny, right after I decided to make that for tomorrow I checked in two very nice people from your neck of the woods...he is a bagpiper and has his pipes with him...he plans to play outside so I hope I catch the show! I didn't have as many ramekins as I thought so I am baking the cobbler in the big dish and will serve it in a small bowl with homemade whipped cream tomorrow morning.
Big Bri that recipe sounds really tasty and versatile (with being able to add different sauces). Now is a good time for me to experiment with it as we are not super busy. When we are full we can have up to 21 people so I don't know if I could keep up with that many. We love any and everything made in cast iron!
Gillum, I looked at that recipe while browsing today and it sounds like we could do that easily, even with the full house..
The whipped cream is VERY important!

1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Topping:
1/2 stick butter, melted
Casserole:
Topping and Baking:
in the morning, preheat oven 375 F. Mix melted butter with crushed cornflakes. Spread over top of casserole and bake 45-55 minutes, until bubbly..
Thanks for sharing this Tomtrex! Are these the cut into little squares hashbrowns or the shredded kind? I suppose it would work with either...
My wife uses the shredded potatoes which are fresh in a bag ...these are hugely better tasting than frozen shredded potatoes ...always a big hit with our guests with creamy style eggs with dill and homemade buttermilk biscuits ( see her cookbook mentioned on our website ).All her recipes are there.

Gillum, I looked at that recipe while browsing today and it sounds like we could do that easily, even with the full house..
I did the cobbler with apples, pears and blueberries. When I made the whipped cream I added a bit of almond extract to it...tasted really nice with those fruits!
It was a huge hit, thanks gain for sharing.

I did the cobbler with apples, pears and blueberries. When I made the whipped cream I added a bit of almond extract to it...tasted really nice with those fruits!
That's one of the best combos, too!

I will be totally honest here...
Enhancement of a mix will be my "go to" baked item when I am pushed for time. There is a Cinnabon muffin/bread mix that I'll add fruit or mini chocolate chips to. Always delicious, hassle-free, and guests LOVE it!
I make a from scratch fruit crisp that guests also love but that I consider my fruit course. Sometimes, I will not have an additional baked item that is sweet if I'm serving that. I've found that too much will get left by the guests.

Morticia said:
Do you serve the cobbler in place of the fruit or the baked item or both? Is it like dessert? Sounds wonderful!

Blueberry Stuffed French Toast.
I must have used a gazillion different recipes for this over the years. Every inn seems to have its own, although they're all pretty similar.
Easy and generally fool-proof, too. Great every time.

Morticia said:
Do you serve the cobbler in place of the fruit or the baked item or both? Is it like dessert? Sounds wonderful!
Country Girl said:
Morticia said:
We don't do a baked item. So, it is in place of the fruit course here. Because it has the oatmeal and the fruit, I'd sub it out for both the fruit and baked good and just make the serving a little larger.
And, yes, it is JUST like dessert! I get a pounding sugar headache from it, but I eat it anyway!

I must have used a gazillion different recipes for this over the years. Every inn seems to have its own, although they're all pretty similar.
Easy and generally fool-proof, too. Great every time..
Isn't that a breakfast entree, rather than just a baked item?

It's actually exactly what the original post asked for: a baked breakfast item.

I was clarifying in order to see if when you inn sat if you served some egg entree in addition to the baked French Toast. The original poster asked for a baked good and said that they were sick of muffins.

I was clarifying in order to see if when you inn sat if you served some egg entree in addition to the baked French Toast. The original poster asked for a baked good and said that they were sick of muffins.
This is not a muffin.
It's a baked breakfast main course.

Back