Your 'insult' point?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about this today as I was up working away. A hotel with overflow shocked at our rates... Guess what guys, we are not a bed. We aren't!
I looked out the window at the grounds with
the many blooms,
the pecan trees,
the rose arbor,
the peonies
the day lillies
the rhodies
the azaleas
the wisteria
the magnolias
the rose of sharon
the confederate jasmine climbing the railing
I looked around at the view,
the mountains
the town
the historic district
I made up the room with
books,
unique decor like antiques,
persian rugs,
marble side tables,
tiffany lamps,
artwork,
fresh flowers,
chocolates,
I came down the stairs to the living room for guests with
books,
games,
magazines,
comfortable chairs,
sofa,
coffee table and side tables
chandelier
reading lamps,
the dining room with the complimentary
snacks,
sodas,
coffees,
teas,
water,
hot cocoa,
apple cider,
the afternoon fresh baked cake that filled the inn I made today
the gold cutlery,
the vintage plates,
th cheery help yourself sign,
the bouquet of fresh flowers,
the framed antique music sheets that guests love,
the great coffee, tea, breakfast, atmostphere, deck and porches with rocking chairs, private parking, ETCETERA.ETCETERA
So that is my insult point. Hotel people do not realize what they GET when they stay at a BnB. They have no clue. You KNOW what you get when you stay at a hotel. The same thing you get at every hotel or less.
My list is not complete - we could add luxury or comfortable linens, privacy, solitude, concierge, cleanliness, ....
My point exactly!!!! Thanks Joe!

If your luck is anything like mine, you will turn down her $440 reservation, and that room will go unrented the whole stupid weekend....against history and all odds. I've had that kind of thing happen several times....including this weekend. I guess that's Mr. Murphy making an appearance again.

If your luck is anything like mine, you will turn down her $440 reservation, and that room will go unrented the whole stupid weekend....against history and all odds. I've had that kind of thing happen several times....including this weekend. I guess that's Mr. Murphy making an appearance again..
Little Blue said:
If your luck is anything like mine, you will turn down her $440 reservation, and that room will go unrented the whole stupid weekend....against history and all odds. I've had that kind of thing happen several times....including this weekend. I guess that's Mr. Murphy making an appearance again.
Ha! You might be right. I won't regret it though because I'll enjoy not having to clean the room again.
pita.gif

I'm interested to learn more about the specifics of a sliding scale. For example, this high season I noticed that we were getting more extended stays than our previous four years. Of course, it makes a huge positive impact on quality of life for me as a single innkeeper. I'm uncomfortable with a two night minimum because it seems to me that people don't always have that much time to get away. I wonder if offering some kind of 'sliding scale' incentive for a two night stay might be a tipping point to encourage folks to stay two nights. I've done the "stay two nights and get the third free" in low season & had lots of takers.
Maybe the comment about a sliding scale isn't this idea. Working smarter not harder works for me. Is this something that makes any sense?.
farmer said:
I'm interested to learn more about the specifics of a sliding scale. For example, this high season I noticed that we were getting more extended stays than our previous four years. Of course, it makes a huge positive impact on quality of life for me as a single innkeeper. I'm uncomfortable with a two night minimum because it seems to me that people don't always have that much time to get away. I wonder if offering some kind of 'sliding scale' incentive for a two night stay might be a tipping point to encourage folks to stay two nights. I've done the "stay two nights and get the third free" in low season & had lots of takers.
Maybe the comment about a sliding scale isn't this idea. Working smarter not harder works for me. Is this something that makes any sense?
We offer several different "sliding scale" discounts and they seem to be paying off with longer stays and not making us crazy.
The first one we offer is for extended stays but it doesn't kick in until 4 nights and is 5%. It goes up 5% for every additional night with a maximum of 25% for eight or more nights. We rarely get guests for longer than 7 nights, but we get our fair share of five and six night stays.
The other we offer is based on the MPG the car the guest arrives in acheives and has two starting points. Its a minimum three night stay regardless of what day of the week they arrive. If they arrive monday-thursday the maximum they can save is 30% if their car gets over 30 combined MPG.
A friday-sunday arrival and it maxes out at 25% Very few cars get over 30 MPG combined, and we lower the percentage 5% for every five MPG less the car acheives. If the car gets under 20 MPG, they get no discount.
We're not going to put our ecological philosophy money where our mouths are and then reward somebody who shows up in a HumVee.
Its like everything else, the law of averages cushions the bite. We get a few show up in Prius' and get the full amount and we get most in cars getting between 15 and 20 so its acutally less of a discount than we sometimes pay in commissions to the second party reservation systems out there.
That is our comfort zone. We'll negotiate with nearly anybody WHEN ASKED but never go below what we pay the second party reservation systems in commissions. Thats the big thing for us. The guest has to ask and mention any discount they want to take advantage of. Unless we're in the dead of winter and have a fence sitter on the phone, if they want something from us, they have to have the backbone to ask for it.
Lastly, we don't do any minimum night stays except for holiday and special event weekends here. Our approach is still a sliding scale on that too though. If the holiday or special event falls during the high season, we add 10% to our normal rate and in the low season the high season rate applies.
If someone can only stay one night on a weekend during a holiday, we'll add a 20% surcharge to the holiday rate to begin with.
So if they are looking at a one night stay during a high season holiday, its actually 30%. If that's prohibitive to them, that's the price they pay for not committing to more nights here.
Very few of these type guests are only in the area for one night. They just want the luxury of bouncing from B&B to B&B and have all of us clean up after them for a straight rate one nighter.
They have two choices to have such convenience for themselves, lengthen the stay or pay a premium. For a two night stay during a holiday or special event period, we'll lower it to 10% extra.
We never have any trouble filling up for holidays and special events, so why tie our hands with the calendar nightmare one nighters present for a straight night's rate.

If your luck is anything like mine, you will turn down her $440 reservation, and that room will go unrented the whole stupid weekend....against history and all odds. I've had that kind of thing happen several times....including this weekend. I guess that's Mr. Murphy making an appearance again..
Little Blue said:
Ha! You might be right. I won't regret it though because I'll enjoy not having to clean the room again.
pita.gif

I would bet you also will not miss hanging out the "Doctor is In - 5 cents please" sign either.

I just found an insult point. I received this e-mail this morning and it really ticked me off. This woman has stayed with us 2 times over the past 5 years. Last year I gave her a discount that I don't normally do. She was going through a breakup in her marriage and she wanted the quiet, privacy we offered. This was also one of those where I had to use my "therapist hat". She's now wanting the same room (our least expensive) for an insulting price. The regular rate for that room is $145 and includes a king bed, fireplace, deck, jacuzzi tub and breakfast delivered (remember she is alone and probably wouldn't be comfortable around a table) and she paid $125 last time.
I'm trying to formulate a response back to her, but right now I'm still ticked off and don't want to send a response I will regret. The part that really got me was the obvious manipulation of "I've checked other places"...
I've had a very stressful day yesterday and today with all sorts of bending of the rules for people so I'm a bit off my game. Am I overreacting?? This room will most certainly be rented at full price at least 2 of those 4 nights if she's not here.
"I hope this finds you well. I'm not sure if you'll remember me, but I stayed at (name of inn) last year - sometime in September. I was also there a few years ago and even talked to you a little bit about that. If it helps to remind you, I came last year alone and when I had to leave REALLY early for my flight back to xxxx, you wrapped some awesome granola for my breakfast. =)

Anyway, I am again planning on going to (big city) this Fall and would again like to go to the xxxx area. My planned dates are 9/24, Thurs. through either Sun. (9/27) or Mon. (28). I checked your website and saw the xxxx room is again available. I would like to know if you would be able to rent the room to an avid returner for $110/night? I confess I checked out other places to stay. I would rather stay with you of course, but I also need to make this affordable this year. Please let me know.
".
Aloha Ms. ----
Thanks for checking with us. We realize that getting a rate the fits into your budget is more important than ever. We did a quick check and found the The Inn Down The Street has rates that start near your budget and The Happy Bed and Breakfast has rates that are actually lower. If you decide to splurge a little, let us know. Although it tends to book up quickly, the Sunshine Room is still available and is a great value at $145.
Best wishes
The Best Inn
knkbnb said:
Aloha Ms. ----
Thanks for checking with us. We realize that getting a rate the fits into your budget is more important than ever. We did a quick check and found the The Inn Down The Street has rates that start near your budget and The Happy Bed and Breakfast has rates that are actually lower. If you decide to splurge a little, let us know. Although it tends to book up quickly, the Sunshine Room is still available and is a great value at $145.
Best wishes
The Best Inn
I like your letter. I can't send her to another B&B because no one around here has prices that low. The least expensive one has a couple rooms for $130 (still $5 more than she paid here last year). Unless she makes a special deal with another innkeeper, the only other alternative is a motel. That's why this is so irritating, no B&B has published rates that low so the fact that she checked others in the area is just rank manipulation. She's trying to compare us to a motel.
Oh- I get it. Well, just sub the hotel and for the inns. Or anyplace you know of that has rates lower than $110.
" We did a quick check and found The DewFlop Motel has rates lower than $110.
It's the last line that counts. It gives her and option of choosing to splurge on you without feeling funny that she asked. Who knows- she might book it at $145- which is great- isn't it?

I just found an insult point. I received this e-mail this morning and it really ticked me off. This woman has stayed with us 2 times over the past 5 years. Last year I gave her a discount that I don't normally do. She was going through a breakup in her marriage and she wanted the quiet, privacy we offered. This was also one of those where I had to use my "therapist hat". She's now wanting the same room (our least expensive) for an insulting price. The regular rate for that room is $145 and includes a king bed, fireplace, deck, jacuzzi tub and breakfast delivered (remember she is alone and probably wouldn't be comfortable around a table) and she paid $125 last time.
I'm trying to formulate a response back to her, but right now I'm still ticked off and don't want to send a response I will regret. The part that really got me was the obvious manipulation of "I've checked other places"...
I've had a very stressful day yesterday and today with all sorts of bending of the rules for people so I'm a bit off my game. Am I overreacting?? This room will most certainly be rented at full price at least 2 of those 4 nights if she's not here.
"I hope this finds you well. I'm not sure if you'll remember me, but I stayed at (name of inn) last year - sometime in September. I was also there a few years ago and even talked to you a little bit about that. If it helps to remind you, I came last year alone and when I had to leave REALLY early for my flight back to xxxx, you wrapped some awesome granola for my breakfast. =)

Anyway, I am again planning on going to (big city) this Fall and would again like to go to the xxxx area. My planned dates are 9/24, Thurs. through either Sun. (9/27) or Mon. (28). I checked your website and saw the xxxx room is again available. I would like to know if you would be able to rent the room to an avid returner for $110/night? I confess I checked out other places to stay. I would rather stay with you of course, but I also need to make this affordable this year. Please let me know.
".
Aloha Ms. ----
Best wishes
The Best Inn
I did something like this in the Spring (which is busy here) for a business guest inquiry via email. After I replied with our business rate, he came back with something like, "I was looking for something more affordable". So I answered along the lines of your suggestion but I didn't actually mention another specific lodging option but said that we had plenty of "more economical" hotels that they could find by visiting our CVB site and provided the link. Then, I said something about what a good value we were at our corporate rate with all of our amenities for business travelers.
He booked here for 4 nights.

".
Aloha Ms. ----
Best wishes
The Best Inn
knkbnb said:
Aloha Ms. ----
Best wishes
The Best Inn
I like your letter. I can't send her to another B&B because no one around here has prices that low. The least expensive one has a couple rooms for $130 (still $5 more than she paid here last year). Unless she makes a special deal with another innkeeper, the only other alternative is a motel. That's why this is so irritating, no B&B has published rates that low so the fact that she checked others in the area is just rank manipulation. She's trying to compare us to a motel.
Oh- I get it. Well, just sub the hotel and for the inns. Or anyplace you know of that has rates lower than $110.
It's the last line that counts. It gives her and option of choosing to splurge on you without feeling funny that she asked. Who knows- she might book it at $145- which is great- isn't it?
Thank you Knkbnb, I used your basic response and I feel great about it. In checking the other area motels & B&Bs, I found that there are 2 motels (not great ones in my opinion) in the $100 range, one boutique hotel for $179 and no B&Bs for the price she's looking for. Who knows, maybe she'll stay after all. I'll update if I hear back from her.
Thanks to all of you who chimed in on this one. What a great bunch!
heart.gif

".
Aloha Ms. ----
Best wishes
The Best Inn
knkbnb said:
Aloha Ms. ----
Best wishes
The Best Inn
Thank you Knkbnb, I used your basic response and I feel great about it. In checking the other area motels & B&Bs, I found that there are 2 motels (not great ones in my opinion) in the $100 range, one boutique hotel for $179 and no B&Bs for the price she's looking for. Who knows, maybe she'll stay after all. I'll update if I hear back from her.
Thanks to all of you who chimed in on this one. What a great bunch!
heart.gif

This year I have tried something new (not high season though). Someone is phoning for a deal so I've offered $$ less with no breakfast. I've had takers and I don't feel bad about doing it. I would resent it if they were getting a full breakfast so I don't do bargains with breakfast. If I'm not having to prepare, cook and serve then it's all good.

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

And..... It could easily go the other direction

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

I don't know what it is, but guests tell me way more than is necessary or wanted sometimes! I'm not judgmental with them, just am there soaking it in for a few minutes if that's what they need/want.
Maybe because it's the one on one with the innkeeper since I spend "quality time" with each guest to make sure they get whatever experience they're looking for. At our place, they are not mingling with other guests.
Go figure...maybe next career a shrink! NOT!!!!!

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

I don't know what it is, but guests tell me way more than is necessary or wanted sometimes! I'm not judgmental with them, just am there soaking it in for a few minutes if that's what they need/want.
Maybe because it's the one on one with the innkeeper since I spend "quality time" with each guest to make sure they get whatever experience they're looking for. At our place, they are not mingling with other guests.
I haven't really thought about it that much, but I wonder if the weekend getaway folks are more inclined to talk about what they just left than the fly to Hawaii folks. We're fully hosted and spend a fair amount of time with our guests, but we find that our guests are not particularly interested in us asking them a bunch of stuff about who they are, where they come from, or what they do.

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

I haven't really thought about it that much, but I wonder if the weekend getaway folks are more inclined to talk about what they just left than the fly to Hawaii folks. We're fully hosted and spend a fair amount of time with our guests, but we find that our guests are not particularly interested in us asking them a bunch of stuff about who they are, where they come from, or what they do.
knkbnb said:
Here's the thing....I don't ask! I never pry or am the one who opens up the conversation to personal topics. This all comes from them.

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

knkbnb said:
Here's the thing....I don't ask! I never pry or am the one who opens up the conversation to personal topics. This all comes from them.
Sorry I didn't add that in, the assumption is that you don't pry. That is what got me to wonder if the proximity to their home or the duration of their trip is a factor.

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

knkbnb said:
I know what you are saying is TRUE! There are some people who seem to have a sign on their forehead - the doctor is in. There were guys I worked with who told me all sorts of things that I would NEVER have told another person and have had the same experience with guests. Sometimes we are even able to help - beyond the just listening which I am a firm believer helps a lot.

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

knkbnb said:
I know what you are saying is TRUE! There are some people who seem to have a sign on their forehead - the doctor is in. There were guys I worked with who told me all sorts of things that I would NEVER have told another person and have had the same experience with guests. Sometimes we are even able to help - beyond the just listening which I am a firm believer helps a lot.
I rarely give my opinions, but recently, a guest who has had their anniversary here the past 12 years called and she wanted to make a reservation, but they are currently separated (this is the 2nd time). After telling me all about it, I frankly told her to grow a backbone, get on with her life, go somewhere else with girlfriends for her anniversary since he wouldn't commit to that weekend. If he's there for her later on, great, but if not, so sad, too bad. Men don't like women to follow after them like puppy dogs waiting to be told "good girl". I only did this because I knew them quite well after all these years and she really needed someone to tell her to stop giving him all the power. She's been with him since she was 16. So sad, I hope they make it.

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

knkbnb said:
I rarely give my opinions, but recently, a guest who has had their anniversary here the past 12 years called and she wanted to make a reservation, but they are currently separated (this is the 2nd time). After telling me all about it, I frankly told her to grow a backbone, get on with her life, go somewhere else with girlfriends for her anniversary since he wouldn't commit to that weekend. If he's there for her later on, great, but if not, so sad, too bad. Men don't like women to follow after them like puppy dogs waiting to be told "good girl". I only did this because I knew them quite well after all these years and she really needed someone to tell her to stop giving him all the power. She's been with him since she was 16. So sad, I hope they make it.
I hope she listened! We had a guest who could not get beyond the LOSS of her daughter that I wrote a note to (I was not here for breakfast that morning) saying I hoped she could get to the point of celebrating having had her daughter in her life rather than dwelling on the loss - it was affecting her relationship with the remaining daughter & grandchildren from what the lady had said to me. Another was so upset about how she had been falling and dropping things and doctors could not find anything and then told me that she had dancing lessons and had hoped to be a dancer - that she had not been affected by having had polio when she was 6. We told her she had post-polio symdrome and that was why she was having the problems. she went to a post-polio clinix and we were right. It lifted the weight of the world from her shoulders. For the most part, like you, i just let them talk and say nothing. the poor baby is all they are really looking for usually.

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

knkbnb said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Men don't like women to follow after them like puppy dogs waiting to be told "good girl".
Says who?
lol-053.gif

Little Blue said:
pita.gif

knkbnb said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Men don't like women to follow after them like puppy dogs waiting to be told "good girl".
Says who?
lol-053.gif

At a guess - your DW!

Back