Your 'insult' point?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your luck is anything like mine, you will turn down her $440 reservation, and that room will go unrented the whole stupid weekend....against history and all odds. I've had that kind of thing happen several times....including this weekend. I guess that's Mr. Murphy making an appearance again..
Little Blue said:
If your luck is anything like mine, you will turn down her $440 reservation, and that room will go unrented the whole stupid weekend....against history and all odds. I've had that kind of thing happen several times....including this weekend. I guess that's Mr. Murphy making an appearance again.
Ha! You might be right. I won't regret it though because I'll enjoy not having to clean the room again.
pita.gif

And..... It could easily go the other direction
I don't know what it is, but guests tell me way more than is necessary or wanted sometimes! I'm not judgmental with them, just am there soaking it in for a few minutes if that's what they need/want.
Maybe because it's the one on one with the innkeeper since I spend "quality time" with each guest to make sure they get whatever experience they're looking for. At our place, they are not mingling with other guests.
Go figure...maybe next career a shrink! NOT!!!!!
I haven't really thought about it that much, but I wonder if the weekend getaway folks are more inclined to talk about what they just left than the fly to Hawaii folks. We're fully hosted and spend a fair amount of time with our guests, but we find that our guests are not particularly interested in us asking them a bunch of stuff about who they are, where they come from, or what they do.
knkbnb said:
I haven't really thought about it that much, but I wonder if the weekend getaway folks are more inclined to talk about what they just left than the fly to Hawaii folks. We're fully hosted and spend a fair amount of time with our guests, but we find that our guests are not particularly interested in us asking them a bunch of stuff about who they are, where they come from, or what they do.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
We need a "leave your troubles off the field" sign outside our door. We all host guests, but let's face the reality of YOUR guests being stoked to be in the islands, having dreamt about it for weeks or months or all year!
For many of us we are like neighbors to them, so they want to chat about all things.
This weekend we have no special ocassions whatsoever, last weekend they were ALL special ocassions. That makes a difference in attitude as well.
I just like the interesting people...is that so wrong?! The odder the better! Have another scientist (nutty professor) they seem to be my favorite this year. I never know what to expect from them or what they will say next. I like that.

My way of thinking is that if they don't book it at MY price, someone else will. AND if you're not hurting for bookings, then that should be yours as well. Some people are just cheap and want something for nothing.
However, from a consumer standpoint, they have to ask. We are bombarded daily with William Shatner touting the benefits of Priceline.com and Travelocity's promises of bigger and better for less. I guess most people equate us for the big hotel chains that can afford to do that because of volume..
We are hurting for bookings. My problem is pride. That's why I called it an 'insult' point. And the question really becomes- Am I stupid to turn away whatever the guest wants to pay just to be sure I have enough cash for the slow season?
I don't think you're stupid. I would turn people away until a certain point in the day. Eventually you'll have to come to the conclusion that a room rented for some money is better than a room standing empty for a night. After all, a night does not have a shelf life like a sweater in a boutique. Once that night is gone, it is gone.

MooseTrax said:
Do you have an 'insult point'? The point at which you feel the guest is insulting your product with the small amount of money they are willing to pay for it? Yesterday was the worst day so far this summer for that. Walk-ins, which we get a lot of, are willing to pay 2005 prices and I'm still stuck with 2009 bills. Without getting into a specific dollar amount because we as a group are all over the charts with what we charge based on our locations, do you have a point at which you just show the guest the door and wish them well in their search? (I do give them the names of places in the price point they want to pay and I'm sure they dicker with them as well.)
I got one today. A woman was haggling with me on the phone over a room that was priced at $225 per night. She wanted a 2 night stay, but was coming in very late on arrival and leaving early before breakfast on the morning of departure. She wanted a better rate because she was only having 1 breakfast. (breakfast is complimentary - its not figured into the price). Well, that she didn't care to hear. So I offered her a discount rate on one night at $190 and the other at full rate. Not what she wanted either. So I asked her what she had in mind.
This is a luxury suite with an 85 gallon jacuzzi and in room dining.
She said, that if she were the business owner she would much rather have the booking at a lower rate than no booking at all. She wanted the 2nd night for $100. I laughed (despite myself) at her. I said no, I'm sorry, we can't do that. She huffed 'I would rather have $325 than nothing'.
Sorry, I'm not giving it away....jeez some people...oh and then she wanted a AAA discount on top of it.
Sorry sweetie, ain't gonna happen.

MooseTrax said:
Do you have an 'insult point'? The point at which you feel the guest is insulting your product with the small amount of money they are willing to pay for it? Yesterday was the worst day so far this summer for that. Walk-ins, which we get a lot of, are willing to pay 2005 prices and I'm still stuck with 2009 bills. Without getting into a specific dollar amount because we as a group are all over the charts with what we charge based on our locations, do you have a point at which you just show the guest the door and wish them well in their search? (I do give them the names of places in the price point they want to pay and I'm sure they dicker with them as well.)
I got one today. A woman was haggling with me on the phone over a room that was priced at $225 per night. She wanted a 2 night stay, but was coming in very late on arrival and leaving early before breakfast on the morning of departure. She wanted a better rate because she was only having 1 breakfast. (breakfast is complimentary - its not figured into the price). Well, that she didn't care to hear. So I offered her a discount rate on one night at $190 and the other at full rate. Not what she wanted either. So I asked her what she had in mind.
She said, that if she were the business owner she would much rather have the booking at a lower rate than no booking at all. She wanted the 2nd night for $100. I laughed (despite myself) at her. I said no, I'm sorry, we can't do that. She huffed 'I would rather have $325 than nothing'.
Sorry, I'm not giving it away....jeez some people...oh and then she wanted a AAA discount on top of it.
Sorry sweetie, ain't gonna happen..
Some people just don't get it! I never haggled, if they didn't take what I offered..tough luck. For me, I would rather the room sit empty. One less room I had to clean!!! If you give it away, you resent every minute that guest is there. If they start off this demanding you know what they will be like if they set foot in the door:-(

MooseTrax said:
Some people just don't get it! I never haggled, if they didn't take what I offered..tough luck. For me, I would rather the room sit empty. One less room I had to clean!!! If you give it away, you resent every minute that guest is there. If they start off this demanding you know what they will be like if they set foot in the door:-(
catlady said:
I couldn't agree more. These types of guests always end up being more trouble than they are worth.

MooseTrax said:
catlady said:
I couldn't agree more. These types of guests always end up being more trouble than they are worth.
The Farmers Daughter said:
catlady said:
They'll "steal all your tea bags"
That is my standard line for those who think they should get the room for nothing.
Nothing against tripple A but when they demand their tripple A discount, you know they are hotel people, not B&B goers. B&B goers are not that way at all.
I like to offer an incentive, and will give a discount but not to anyone who demands one. You know what I mean? Like you first offered a gracious discount, then she wanted more!

MooseTrax said:
"If I were the business owner..." Get out your checkbook and make me an offer honey! Honestly the nerve of some people...they all know better than us.

MooseTrax said:
catlady said:
catlady said:
That is my standard line for those who think they should get the room for nothing.
Nothing against tripple A but when they demand their tripple A discount, you know they are hotel people, not B&B goers. B&B goers are not that way at all.
I like to offer an incentive, and will give a discount but not to anyone who demands one. You know what I mean? Like you first offered a gracious discount, then she wanted more!
That's kind of funny- "they'll steal your teabags"
We have begun to work harder to express our value. We know that folks are being told at every turn to bargain, but we also know that many many folks are simply looking for added value. We refuse to blame them for that and it is pushing us to look at how we can demonstrate our value. We just started a small ad that is focused on REAL VALUE and is a way to remind shoppers that by the time you add on $50 for breakfast $15 for parking $20 for laundry and $15 for internet, that bargain resort is suddenly twice our price. We love our guests and we understand they want to get the best value. Since we are always ready to suggest other options in the budget they want, we feel like we are giving them some choices and not just telling them "no".
We just had a reservation where they wanted more value. We were able to offer three solutions using our own sliding scale- you get more value the more nights you stay- and a couple of choices outside of our pricing. The guest had to weigh the value we offered at our price point with the value they would receive by choosing a more budget friendly option. Sometimes that means they choose to honor their budget, but in this case they chose us as the better value for them at a greater cost.
We're still learning about a lot of this stuff, but we are seeing the wisdom of knowing your value, being confident about sticking to that value. conveying that to the shopper, and providing that value when the shopper becomes our guest.

MooseTrax said:
i had a guy that said to me "I thought you would want to rent to me cheap rather that have the room empty." I told him that was a big misconception that innkeepers would rather give their rooms away than have them empty. I felt good that I didn't do it.

MooseTrax said:
i had a guy that said to me "I thought you would want to rent to me cheap rather that have the room empty." I told him that was a big misconception that innkeepers would rather give their rooms away than have them empty. I felt good that I didn't do it.
sandynn said:
And the answer is it costs us to rent the room cheap, they think there is no cost involved. This is what I cannot get across to the dozens of beggers who call per week looking for donations - and telling me how it will send us business. NOT!

MooseTrax said:
sandynn said:
And the answer is it costs us to rent the room cheap, they think there is no cost involved. This is what I cannot get across to the dozens of beggers who call per week looking for donations - and telling me how it will send us business. NOT!
I have to say that I don't know of any buisness that we have gotten from donations. I know you don't always know but I bet it is so little if any.

MooseTrax said:
catlady said:
catlady said:
That's kind of funny- "they'll steal your teabags"
We have begun to work harder to express our value. We know that folks are being told at every turn to bargain, but we also know that many many folks are simply looking for added value. We refuse to blame them for that and it is pushing us to look at how we can demonstrate our value. We just started a small ad that is focused on REAL VALUE and is a way to remind shoppers that by the time you add on $50 for breakfast $15 for parking $20 for laundry and $15 for internet, that bargain resort is suddenly twice our price. We love our guests and we understand they want to get the best value. Since we are always ready to suggest other options in the budget they want, we feel like we are giving them some choices and not just telling them "no".
We just had a reservation where they wanted more value. We were able to offer three solutions using our own sliding scale- you get more value the more nights you stay- and a couple of choices outside of our pricing. The guest had to weigh the value we offered at our price point with the value they would receive by choosing a more budget friendly option. Sometimes that means they choose to honor their budget, but in this case they chose us as the better value for them at a greater cost.
We're still learning about a lot of this stuff, but we are seeing the wisdom of knowing your value, being confident about sticking to that value. conveying that to the shopper, and providing that value when the shopper becomes our guest.
That is what I am trying to do with my Happy Birthday to Us price. I have gotten extensions in stays with it. We celebrated our 13th year this year - so 2 nughts at regulat rate gives you a third night at $13. I told a Webervations 3-nighter his third night would be $13 and he ended up booking 3-nights at regular rate and a 4th night for $13! I have now kept him in my town for another day to spend more money.

MooseTrax said:
sandynn said:
I have to say that I don't know of any buisness that we have gotten from donations. I know you don't always know but I bet it is so little if any.
sandynn said:
Yes we do get more calls if we donate! More calls to donate.
I will call it "Tupperware" syndrome. If you go to one party, then you get calls and calls and feel obligated to go to others. Insert any home-party scheme into "Tupperware" spot.
Once you put your foot down and do like I do "I WILL PAY YOU SO I DON'T HAVE TO GO!" I tell them! ...So I don't have to go and be used as a couch warmer so the hostess can get more free crud. I have to buy mary kay on the sly with a third party mediator if I want any...I just don't want to be hassled into going to any home parties.
Yes JB wears marykay - Velocity perfume/cologne. :) A guest wore it and I really like it and I asked where they got it.

Back