Your never too small!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
Someone here mentioned not to long ago that they were small so they wouldn't have any groups. Well I just got an inquiry about a girls weekend and they would need the whole house. I look at this as a group so you never know. I did remember some things you all sugested about whole house bookings. But I want to cover my a--.
whattha.gif
Could someone please run a check list. Thanks! .

I just spent 28 minutes on the phone to Tennessee for the same reason - graduation weekend in May. I stated the 30 day cancellation for three or more rooms (every single year we get the shaft, EVERY YEAR!) and he is going to book the two for his family in the end. Then he will call the father in law etc to book theirs.
We go on about this all the time, if it is a diff booking and name, I cannot feasibly enforce this 30 day policy! It makes me insane. He did want a hefty discount, as well. I am giving them $10 off per night. That is that, it is a graduation weekend for goodness sake!!
So that is the #1 thing, cancellation policy and if you require a deposit for the rooms. (To get your list started)

A not-inclusive list:
  • 30 day cancellation policy;
  • 1/2 up front deposit;
  • possibly a non-refundable deposit at x weeks out;
  • full payment due at 30 days out;
  • understanding of the house rules (ie- 'whole house' includes this, does not include that);
  • number of guests may not go above x;
  • if number drops below x, they must still book the whole house
Find out what they plan on doing. Going out for dinner or hanging around doing each others' toenails (very messy). Are they planning to do things at you house that might be too much (hire a stripper, as an example).
It doesn't have to be a horrorshow if everyone is on the same page.
You can go either way on how you book...each room individually or the whole thing handled by one person. BUT, get everyone's name and email and make sure they all know the policies.
I generally do my best to make sure I have what they'll need. But, I do have a group coming in that wants champagne glasses, which I just do not have enough of and I told her that. But I found her a place to get her cake and hors d'oeuvres so she doesn't have to lug them all the way here from NY.
Congrats!

I just spent 28 minutes on the phone to Tennessee for the same reason - graduation weekend in May. I stated the 30 day cancellation for three or more rooms (every single year we get the shaft, EVERY YEAR!) and he is going to book the two for his family in the end. Then he will call the father in law etc to book theirs.
We go on about this all the time, if it is a diff booking and name, I cannot feasibly enforce this 30 day policy! It makes me insane. He did want a hefty discount, as well. I am giving them $10 off per night. That is that, it is a graduation weekend for goodness sake!!
So that is the #1 thing, cancellation policy and if you require a deposit for the rooms. (To get your list started).
Not attempting to sidetrack, but would you be willing to ask anyone else calling for that weekend if they are joining the graduation party? Then you tell them the same 30 day cancellation policy.

So that is the #1 thing, cancellation policy and if you require a deposit for the rooms. (To get your list started).
WE DO NOT OFFER DISCOUNTS DURING THE HIGH SEASON...repeat, repeat, repeat!!! We have 4 rooms together right now and I am ready for blood...GROUPS ARE THE WORST!!!

Not attempting to sidetrack, but would you be willing to ask anyone else calling for that weekend if they are joining the graduation party? Then you tell them the same 30 day cancellation policy.
Morticia said:
I can't do it if they all book indiv with their own cc details. He is basically saying "I spent the entire Saturday finding the place, we are now booked, so you can join us if you wish" and leaving it at with the other rel's. So it is hard for me to enforce, as always. DH said why don't you make it 30 day for grad weekends anyway! I should, but I never do it in time and hate hate hate having so many diff policies, they slip through the cracks when I do that.
The booking came in for the two rooms, and btw the way this new rezKey prgom, as a guest you just click the rooms you want as many as you want and voila they are all on the same rez - you can have diff screens or pull them up together, same notes, same everything (like history of corresp, I highlighted in RED the discount and resent with one click, and it has saved all corresp to this guest on the rez) Sidetracking...sorry y'all.
If this guest visits us 125 times everything about HIM and his bookings will be compiled in one place, forever. I had no idea how hard I used to do everything, no idea.
See in the past in "the old system" the guest HAD to book each and every room indiv filling out all the forms each and every time, I had NO WAY to enforce more than two rooms booked when it was done like that, the rooms all put under diff names. :)

WE DO NOT OFFER DISCOUNTS DURING THE HIGH SEASON...repeat, repeat, repeat!!! We have 4 rooms together right now and I am ready for blood...GROUPS ARE THE WORST!!!
Rupert said:
When the bills are due - we love everyone.

Rupert said:
I hear ya, but you KNOW you will regret it. The discount is just the first in a long line of things they will expect you to be thrilled to give them.
The group who is here now is from a whopping 1/2 hour away and have obviously never been out of the house before, the way they are carrying on. Oh, we thought we'd be the only ones here! Welll, you're not, so BEHAVE. Grrrrr....how can I be this bad in February?

Rupert said:
I hear ya, but you KNOW you will regret it. The discount is just the first in a long line of things they will expect you to be thrilled to give them.
The group who is here now is from a whopping 1/2 hour away and have obviously never been out of the house before, the way they are carrying on. Oh, we thought we'd be the only ones here! Welll, you're not, so BEHAVE. Grrrrr....how can I be this bad in February?
Rupert said:
you talkin' to me? Oh yeaaaaaaaaahhh baybeeeeeeeee - he just emailed back and said after getting $60 off the weekend on two rooms "I thought that room was $130, not $145, I had it marked down as $130"
I ain't never been $130 dude.
NO I AM NOT KIDDING. I hate it when you are so right - all the time. :)

Rupert said:
Rupert said:
you talkin' to me? Oh yeaaaaaaaaahhh baybeeeeeeeee - he just emailed back and said after getting $60 off the weekend on two rooms "I thought that room was $130, not $145, I had it marked down as $130"
I hate being right about this crap
sad_smile.gif
. I hate that one of the world's greatest innkeepers has to put up with this doofus! Hang in there.

Morticia said:
I can't do it if they all book indiv with their own cc details. He is basically saying "I spent the entire Saturday finding the place, we are now booked, so you can join us if you wish" and leaving it at with the other rel's. So it is hard for me to enforce, as always. DH said why don't you make it 30 day for grad weekends anyway! I should, but I never do it in time and hate hate hate having so many diff policies, they slip through the cracks when I do that.
The booking came in for the two rooms, and btw the way this new rezKey prgom, as a guest you just click the rooms you want as many as you want and voila they are all on the same rez - you can have diff screens or pull them up together, same notes, same everything (like history of corresp, I highlighted in RED the discount and resent with one click, and it has saved all corresp to this guest on the rez) Sidetracking...sorry y'all.
If this guest visits us 125 times everything about HIM and his bookings will be compiled in one place, forever. I had no idea how hard I used to do everything, no idea.
See in the past in "the old system" the guest HAD to book each and every room indiv filling out all the forms each and every time, I had NO WAY to enforce more than two rooms booked when it was done like that, the rooms all put under diff names. :)
I'm liking that new system more and more! We find the same thing...totally forget the policies for the big weekends when the calls come in one at a time. BUT, when I know for sure someone has a bunch of rooms, they get the '30 day' policy email. If there are any questions, I tell them it is the 'group booking' contract.
I would like if the guests could book all the rooms they wanted at once. That's a pretty big reason for calling me...'I couldn't figure out how to book more than one room at a time.'

Rupert said:
Rupert said:
"I'm sorry you didn't see the prices as we were discussing them. Would you like me to cancel this reservation for you?"

Have girlfriends weekend in the Cottage right now, b'fast at 9 a.m..Only three of them. Had dinner Friday delivered, hot tub last night,just having a good time. Graduation is paid in full before they arrive and no cancellations(written in there confirmation letter). Both 2010 & 2011 are already booked.Most B&B's,hotels and motels charge double per night(no one night reservations allowed)for graduation in our area. Mary in Bridgewater.

Back