"Your reservation system is not working"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your reservation system is broken .... hahaha
reminds me of a conversation from a few years back ...
caller: i am trying to book a room and i cannot find your rooms where smoking is allowed.
me: 'sorry, we do not allow smoking in any of our rooms ... we do not allow smoking ANYWHERE inside our inn'
'what about outside?'
'you may smoke outside in the parking lot or in your car.'
'okay, so which room is your smoking room?'
'none of our rooms are smoking rooms.'
'but you said i could smoke outside.'
'sorry, i don't think i can help you.'.
How do you tackle guests calling up to give them your "alternate price" after saying - "We do not need complimentary breakfast, we do not require pick up & we also do not require Satellite TV or hot water geyser"?
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

We generally tell guests they are welcome to not use any of the amenities they find in the room, but the price is the same.
However, some hotels are toying with the whole price-based-on-amenities model. No housekeeping? Reduced price. No towels? Reduced price. No bedding? Reduced price. No TV? Well, you get the picture.
But, we don't want to get into that, so it's the same price whether you use the amenities or not.
When I have a call from a couple who don't mention wanting a second bed in the room, I don't mention there IS a second bed in the room. 9 times our of 10 I get, 'Oh we don't need that much space.' Meaning, we don't want to pay. I tell them they are welcome to not use the second bed.
I cannot do that here. I got pre-set rates fixed by the authorities & can't charge more than that even if i add/subtract certain amenities [56-61 US$].
I have stopped describing the sets we have. Saves us the hassle of answering ultra stoopid questions over the phone, like the one you mentioned
Do you have to set your maximum price or a set price. We are asked by the ministry to set a maximum price. We do, $500 a day. We can therefore charge less at our discretion. We never would charge $500 a day... but they only ask for a maximum.
Nah, we are just given a pre-set rate. I got mine at 56-61$/Day. I can charge below it but not above it. It depends on us what amenities we give in that price.
Of course not everybody follows it; some advertise their homestay as "homestay hotel" or "homestay resort" as a cover to charge more. I am sticking on with homestay only.
I don’t want to advertise my homestay as a hotel or a resort; I just want it to be a B&B/homestay thing, so I am willing to take the risks. Indeed I have lost many bookings to hotel-seeking people but I have saved us the hassle. I am much happier if the people looking for hotels get what they want in the town itself. I have directly told many people – Read on our site the things we do not provide & know of our location before booking.

caller: i am trying to book a room and i cannot find your rooms where smoking is allowed.
me: 'sorry, we do not allow smoking in any of our rooms ... we do not allow smoking ANYWHERE inside our inn'
'what about outside?'
How do you tackle guests calling up to give them your "alternate price" after saying - "We do not need complimentary breakfast, we do not require pick up & we also do not require Satellite TV or hot water geyser"?
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

We generally tell guests they are welcome to not use any of the amenities they find in the room, but the price is the same.
However, some hotels are toying with the whole price-based-on-amenities model. No housekeeping? Reduced price. No towels? Reduced price. No bedding? Reduced price. No TV? Well, you get the picture.
But, we don't want to get into that, so it's the same price whether you use the amenities or not.
When I have a call from a couple who don't mention wanting a second bed in the room, I don't mention there IS a second bed in the room. 9 times our of 10 I get, 'Oh we don't need that much space.' Meaning, we don't want to pay. I tell them they are welcome to not use the second bed.
I cannot do that here. I got pre-set rates fixed by the authorities & can't charge more than that even if i add/subtract certain amenities [56-61 US$].
I have stopped describing the sets we have. Saves us the hassle of answering ultra stoopid questions over the phone, like the one you mentioned
pre-set rates fixed by the authorities
WHAT? Is it your business? Or is it public owned operation which you run for someone? Why can't you set your own prices? I find that very hard to understand. You are in a destination area aren't you? Does everyone there charge the same price for lodging? That is beyond my comprhension I am afraid :-(
The thing is, the authorities have no concept of a home stay/B&B here. Even though they introduced the "Himachal homestay scheme" to promote rural tourism, the idea of this concept just doesn't get in their head. We are more often than not considered as a "cheap alternative to hotels". [To be fair to them, even i didn't know about it, till i actually started searching on the internet & updating myself]
Homestays, approved & willing to be appreciated as homestays alone, cannot charge more than 56-61$ per night for direct bookings [True for Himchal Pradesh State]. But as i explained in my earlier post, many market themselves as "homestay hotel" or homestay resort". Only Heritage homestays of Himachal can keep their own price. There is only one of that sort here [in my town called Shimla] & it charges a whooping 550$ per night!
The other one by the name of "B&B scheme", is a part of the !ncredible India inititative. They can charge a maximum of 100-110$ again pre-fixed by the Central Government [as opposed to homestays which is approved by State Government].
Both sets of prices I mentioned are per room (Double occupancy) & not per person.
In both schemes, the prices are inclusive of all taxes & service charge as well as complimentary breakfast.
I hope this gives you an idea of the operation of B&B/homestays in India

it would be so tempting to say "it is an idiot proof screening process it weeds out people we don't want staying here if they can't use the system!" lol.
Yes! We laugh about this all the time "I'm sorry, it appears you are too silly to stay here".

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

WHAT? Is it your business? Or is it public owned operation which you run for someone? Why can't you set your own prices? I find that very hard to understand. You are in a destination area aren't you? Does everyone there charge the same price for lodging? That is beyond my comprhension I am afraid :-(
The thing is, the authorities have no concept of a home stay/B&B here. Even though they introduced the "Himachal homestay scheme" to promote rural tourism, the idea of this concept just doesn't get in their head. We are more often than not considered as a "cheap alternative to hotels". [To be fair to them, even i didn't know about it, till i actually started searching on the internet & updating myself]
Homestays, approved & willing to be appreciated as homestays alone, cannot charge more than 56-61$ per night for direct bookings [True for Himchal Pradesh State]. But as i explained in my earlier post, many market themselves as "homestay hotel" or homestay resort". Only Heritage homestays of Himachal can keep their own price. There is only one of that sort here [in my town called Shimla] & it charges a whooping 550$ per night!
The other one by the name of "B&B scheme", is a part of the !ncredible India inititative. They can charge a maximum of 100-110$ again pre-fixed by the Central Government [as opposed to homestays which is approved by State Government].
Both sets of prices I mentioned are per room (Double occupancy) & not per person.
In both schemes, the prices are inclusive of all taxes & service charge as well as complimentary breakfast.
Viper said:
... In both schemes...
Scheme:
1. plan, design, or program of action to be followed; project.
2. an underhand plot
I'm taking that you follow definition #1 for your homestay vs. #2 ;)

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

Viper said:
... In both schemes...
Scheme:
2. an underhand plot
I'm taking that you follow definition #1 for your homestay vs. #2 ;)
Penelope said:
2. an underhand plot
It doesn't matter. Got a house? Got a spare room? You got your approval! It's as simple as that
shades_smile.gif

Central scheme got silver & gold listings. Silver = Basic, Gold = Facilities such as refrigerator, washing machine etc. We are approved by the State Govt. ["home stay"]

We get that a lot. They go into detail about how they did everything right and still were denied a room. Can you fix it? So, I ask what they did (I used to be in tech support so I do like to have people tell me all the things they did 'right') and what happened then and so forth.
'We're trying to reserve x room for Saturday. We're getting a message that it's a 2-night min but we just need Saturday.'
'We're trying to reserve x room for ourselves and our 3 kids. We keep getting a message saying 2 person maximum. But there are 5 of us so can you fix that?'
'We're trying to reserve x room for Saturday for 4 guests...'
Then there are the ones who just don't understand what the calendar means and don't see the legend that explains it. I even had the color of the 'taken' rooms changed to red because red means stop, right?.
Alibi Ike said:
I even had the color of the 'taken' rooms changed to red because red means stop, right?
The term "Sold out" makes more sense for them than the red highlight or a pop out like "No rooms available for the dates chosen by you/partial availability

Joey Bloggs said:
If you try to book a room that is not available, correct, you cannot do that.
People blow my mind: "Your reservation system is not working."
No our reservation system is not broken. USER ERROR USER ERROR!
I just got that one yesterday! "I tried to make a reservation on your website a couple days ago and I got a weird message."
When were you planning to come?
"June 11, 12, & 13."
the message probably said we have no availibility for those dates because we are full all of June.
"That is not what it said."
I have no idea what it did say but i gave her the number of the other 2 B & Bs relatively close to me.

Joey Bloggs said:
If you try to book a room that is not available, correct, you cannot do that.
People blow my mind: "Your reservation system is not working."
No our reservation system is not broken. USER ERROR USER ERROR!
I just got that one yesterday! "I tried to make a reservation on your website a couple days ago and I got a weird message."
When were you planning to come?
"June 11, 12, & 13."
the message probably said we have no availibility for those dates because we are full all of June.
I have no idea what it did say but i gave her the number of the other 2 B & Bs relatively close to me..
gillumhouse said:
I have no idea what it did say but i gave her the number of the other 2 B & Bs relatively close to me.
She's right - if you do an availability search (not a calendar search) for specific dates in June on your book online form, there is no message returned. It just stays blank. If you switch to the calendar view you can see there's no availability. You might want to check your settings, or talk to your booking engine company about that.

Back