"Your reservation system is not working"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you try to book a room that is not available, correct, you cannot do that.
People blow my mind: "Your reservation system is not working."
No our reservation system is not broken. USER ERROR USER ERROR!

it would be so tempting to say "it is an idiot proof screening process it weeds out people we don't want staying here if they can't use the system!" lol

it would be so tempting to say "it is an idiot proof screening process it weeds out people we don't want staying here if they can't use the system!" lol.
it would be so tempting to say "it is an idiot proof screening process it weeds out people we don't want staying here if they can't use the system!" lol
thumbs_up.gif

We get that a lot. They go into detail about how they did everything right and still were denied a room. Can you fix it? So, I ask what they did (I used to be in tech support so I do like to have people tell me all the things they did 'right') and what happened then and so forth.
'We're trying to reserve x room for Saturday. We're getting a message that it's a 2-night min but we just need Saturday.'
'We're trying to reserve x room for ourselves and our 3 kids. We keep getting a message saying 2 person maximum. But there are 5 of us so can you fix that?'
'We're trying to reserve x room for Saturday for 4 guests...'
Then there are the ones who just don't understand what the calendar means and don't see the legend that explains it. I even had the color of the 'taken' rooms changed to red because red means stop, right?

We get that a lot. They go into detail about how they did everything right and still were denied a room. Can you fix it? So, I ask what they did (I used to be in tech support so I do like to have people tell me all the things they did 'right') and what happened then and so forth.
'We're trying to reserve x room for Saturday. We're getting a message that it's a 2-night min but we just need Saturday.'
'We're trying to reserve x room for ourselves and our 3 kids. We keep getting a message saying 2 person maximum. But there are 5 of us so can you fix that?'
Then there are the ones who just don't understand what the calendar means and don't see the legend that explains it. I even had the color of the 'taken' rooms changed to red because red means stop, right?.
Alibi Ike said:
because red means stop, right?
Only sometimes. And only to those with common sense.

Then there are the ones who just don't understand what the calendar means and don't see the legend that explains it. I even had the color of the 'taken' rooms changed to red because red means stop, right?.
Alibi Ike said:
Penelope said:
Alibi Ike said:
But then it's the screening test, isn't it!

Alibi Ike said:
Penelope said:
Alibi Ike said:
Alibi Ike said:
Penelope said:
Alibi Ike said:
Great point!

your reservation system is broken .... hahaha
reminds me of a conversation from a few years back ...
caller: i am trying to book a room and i cannot find your rooms where smoking is allowed.
me: 'sorry, we do not allow smoking in any of our rooms ... we do not allow smoking ANYWHERE inside our inn'
'what about outside?'
'you may smoke outside in the parking lot or in your car.'
'okay, so which room is your smoking room?'
'none of our rooms are smoking rooms.'
'but you said i could smoke outside.'
'sorry, i don't think i can help you.'

caller: i am trying to book a room and i cannot find your rooms where smoking is allowed.
me: 'sorry, we do not allow smoking in any of our rooms ... we do not allow smoking ANYWHERE inside our inn'
'what about outside?'
'sorry, i don't think i can help you.'.
How do you tackle guests calling up to give them your "alternate price" after saying - "We do not need complimentary breakfast, we do not require pick up & we also do not require Satellite TV or hot water geyser"?
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

'what about outside?'
How do you tackle guests calling up to give them your "alternate price" after saying - "We do not need complimentary breakfast, we do not require pick up & we also do not require Satellite TV or hot water geyser"?
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

We reply that the price is the same as these are all amenities that come with the room.
RIki

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

We reply that the price is the same as these are all amenities that come with the room.
RIki
..... And that's when the fight starts!

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

The answer is simple... we don't have alternate pricing, the breakfast is complimentary, therefore it's free and I can't give you back money on free. The other items are in the rooms and there is no way to seperate them on the bill. If you want, we can, of course disconnect the satellite TV, the technician is an extra $15 to disconnect it and another $15 to reconnect it for the next guest. The plumber to disconnect the hot water is an extra $100, as we will have to pay him to connect it again, there is a further $100 for that as well. So, no breakfast, no satellite TV and no hot water is just $230 extra.
They will get the point.

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

The answer is simple... we don't have alternate pricing, the breakfast is complimentary, therefore it's free and I can't give you back money on free. The other items are in the rooms and there is no way to seperate them on the bill. If you want, we can, of course disconnect the satellite TV, the technician is an extra $15 to disconnect it and another $15 to reconnect it for the next guest. The plumber to disconnect the hot water is an extra $100, as we will have to pay him to connect it again, there is a further $100 for that as well. So, no breakfast, no satellite TV and no hot water is just $230 extra.
They will get the point.
That sounds wonderful, am gonna put that into practice! Ty!

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

RIki
Viper said:
It takes two to fight. Don't engage, and there won't be a fight.
Cut it off with: "These are not bundled packages. The price stated is all-or-nothing. Which would you like?"

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

We generally tell guests they are welcome to not use any of the amenities they find in the room, but the price is the same.
However, some hotels are toying with the whole price-based-on-amenities model. No housekeeping? Reduced price. No towels? Reduced price. No bedding? Reduced price. No TV? Well, you get the picture.
But, we don't want to get into that, so it's the same price whether you use the amenities or not.
When I have a call from a couple who don't mention wanting a second bed in the room, I don't mention there IS a second bed in the room. 9 times our of 10 I get, 'Oh we don't need that much space.' Meaning, we don't want to pay. I tell them they are welcome to not use the second bed.

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

We generally tell guests they are welcome to not use any of the amenities they find in the room, but the price is the same.
However, some hotels are toying with the whole price-based-on-amenities model. No housekeeping? Reduced price. No towels? Reduced price. No bedding? Reduced price. No TV? Well, you get the picture.
But, we don't want to get into that, so it's the same price whether you use the amenities or not.
When I have a call from a couple who don't mention wanting a second bed in the room, I don't mention there IS a second bed in the room. 9 times our of 10 I get, 'Oh we don't need that much space.' Meaning, we don't want to pay. I tell them they are welcome to not use the second bed.
I cannot do that here. I got pre-set rates fixed by the authorities & can't charge more than that even if i add/subtract certain amenities [56-61 US$].
I have stopped describing the sets we have. Saves us the hassle of answering ultra stoopid questions over the phone, like the one you mentioned

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

RIki
Viper said:
It takes two to fight. Don't engage, and there won't be a fight.
Cut it off with: "These are not bundled packages. The price stated is all-or-nothing. Which would you like?"
Trying to reason with them is not the best way out here sadly. I guess the term B&B/homestay sends out wrong signals to them, expecting a royal treatment and paying peanuts

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

The hotel I stayed in last week had lots of weekday "workmen" staying there. They went and picked up their own linens and made up their own rooms. Probably for a heck of a reduced price. Maybe I should have asked for the same thing:)

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

I cannot do that here. I got pre-set rates fixed by the authorities & can't charge more than that even if i add/subtract certain amenities [56-61 US$].
I have stopped describing the sets we have. Saves us the hassle of answering ultra stoopid questions over the phone, like the one you mentioned
pre-set rates fixed by the authorities
WHAT? Is it your business? Or is it public owned operation which you run for someone? Why can't you set your own prices? I find that very hard to understand. You are in a destination area aren't you? Does everyone there charge the same price for lodging? That is beyond my comprhension I am afraid :-(

'what about outside?'
Emm, err.. mhm, duh
wow.gif

Do you have to set your maximum price or a set price. We are asked by the ministry to set a maximum price. We do, $500 a day. We can therefore charge less at our discretion. We never would charge $500 a day... but they only ask for a maximum.

Back