Your Star rating

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbendnewbie

Reaction score
Our B&B will be inspected next week and I am really nervous. We are trying for a 4 star rating and there is a lot of criteria to abide by. Is the rating system strict in the US?

Just wondering, inspected by who?
I just looked at your site I am very impressed.

Just wondering, inspected by who?
I just looked at your site I am very impressed..
We get rated by Canada Select and they redid some requirements recently. I need 2 chairs in each room and they must be "good quality" so I am shopping again this evening. I have large furniture in 2 of the rooms and I don't want them to look crowded.

Inspections vary in the US from State to State and according to different association policies.So all of us are different

riverbendnewbie said:
Our B&B will be inspected next week and I am really nervous. We are trying for a 4 star rating and there is a lot of criteria to abide by. Is the rating system strict in the US?
That sturgeon is scaring the life out of me! WOW! THOSE sturgeon, looks like two diff ones.
Hey re rating, if you serve continental you will not get the highest rating, that is all part of it. The "service" not just the accomodations.

I understand that and we will be providing full breakfast however they seem more concerned with whats in the rooms. If you are missing a small item it will not get you the 4 stars that you want. So I am basically doing a check list to make sure.

I understand that and we will be providing full breakfast however they seem more concerned with whats in the rooms. If you are missing a small item it will not get you the 4 stars that you want. So I am basically doing a check list to make sure..
Doesn't the organization give you a checklist?? That would seem appropriate to know what their standards are BEFORE their inspection. I would check with them. You are in Canada...perhaps one of our British Vancouver folks can assist.

I understand that and we will be providing full breakfast however they seem more concerned with whats in the rooms. If you are missing a small item it will not get you the 4 stars that you want. So I am basically doing a check list to make sure..
Doesn't the organization give you a checklist?? That would seem appropriate to know what their standards are BEFORE their inspection. I would check with them. You are in Canada...perhaps one of our British Vancouver folks can assist.
Yes they give you a checklist however some of the items are pretty subjective. For example "good quality furniture and linens". My idea of good quality may be different from theirs.

Yes they give you a checklist however some of the items are pretty subjective. For example "good quality furniture and linens". My idea of good quality may be different from theirs.
I don't think so. Good quality means CLEAN, nothing tattered and torn, no sagging mattresses, no thread bare linens. Common sense applies here. I am sure they are not looking for a 5 star hotel I am sure. Are there any other B & B's in your area you can talk with? How about a B & B association? You need to get some feel for it from those who have been there and done that. And, you need to start some networking now before you get started.

I don't think so. Good quality means CLEAN, nothing tattered and torn, no sagging mattresses, no thread bare linens. Common sense applies here. I am sure they are not looking for a 5 star hotel I am sure. Are there any other B & B's in your area you can talk with? How about a B & B association? You need to get some feel for it from those who have been there and done that. And, you need to start some networking now before you get started.
I think she is looking to BE a 5-Star and wish her the best. Hope she gets it.

Sorry you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I meant like a 5 star Michelin ( sp??) rating or whatever.
The rating she is going for is a 4 star as she said, but I don't think it is the same standard as for upscale hotels/ spas etc. We aren't really certain who is actually giving out the star ratings here. I was just generalizing.
Ok, I finally looked to see what this was. here it is:
Their **** says: **** This rating indicates exceptional quality in all areas of facilities and services offering superior quality throughout the property in areas of guestrooms, bath and common areas. The property typically provides laundry/valet service as well as many additional amenities.
Are you or do you want to provide laundry/valet services????? Hmmmmm
So..here is a ***** rating place. How do you compare with this?? Luxury to a "world standard"???? Doesn't look like that much to me What do others think???

Hi again and thanks for all your input. Right now the only thing that may hold me back is the "room darkening capabilities in the bedroom". There are miniblinds for privavcy and dark drapes --I just hope that will be enough.As far as furniture I did use antiques in one room and working on a"fifty's theme for another--all art deco 50's furniture. Its pretty cool with the car radio lamps. All you can do is hope for the best and try to improve.
I definitely do not want to try for 5 star!

riverbendnewbie said:
This sounds a bit like the CAA/AAA rating. You have to have certain amenities to get a certain number of diamonds. We'll never get more than 3 because we don't have a pool or dining room restaurant. Some places can't get 5 diamonds because they don't have marble/granite countertops in the bathrooms.
'Good quality' is subjective. My idea may be different from yours which may be different from the next person's and the auditor's. Sometimes, beat up antiques are of better quality than brand new furniture.

Sorry you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I meant like a 5 star Michelin ( sp??) rating or whatever.
The rating she is going for is a 4 star as she said, but I don't think it is the same standard as for upscale hotels/ spas etc. We aren't really certain who is actually giving out the star ratings here. I was just generalizing.
Their **** says: **** This rating indicates exceptional quality in all areas of facilities and services offering superior quality throughout the property in areas of guestrooms, bath and common areas. The property typically provides laundry/valet service as well as many additional amenities.
So..here is a ***** rating place. How do you compare with this?? Luxury to a "world standard"???? Doesn't look like that much to me What do others think???
Ok, I read that over and I'd get 1-2 stars. I don't have 'coordinating' anything. It's eclectic here! Altho, for other features I could get a 3 star rating.

Just looked at the ***** place and I have to say that a TV on a TV stand and a bathtub in the room are not what I'd call ***** amenities. And those bathtubs look like you'd fall into them if you mis-stepped out of the bed. (That may just be the photography, tho.)

Hi again and thanks for all your input. Right now the only thing that may hold me back is the "room darkening capabilities in the bedroom". There are miniblinds for privavcy and dark drapes --I just hope that will be enough.As far as furniture I did use antiques in one room and working on a"fifty's theme for another--all art deco 50's furniture. Its pretty cool with the car radio lamps. All you can do is hope for the best and try to improve.
I definitely do not want to try for 5 star!.
based on what I saw for that 5 star place, I see no reason why you couldn't make that...that place is no 5 star property in my opinion. You will do just fine!!!!

based on what I saw for that 5 star place, I see no reason why you couldn't make that...that place is no 5 star property in my opinion. You will do just fine!!!!
Thanks, I hope so. By the way, I can't seem to upload a pic--keeps saying it is too big--a thumbnail pic is too big?

Thanks, I hope so. By the way, I can't seem to upload a pic--keeps saying it is too big--a thumbnail pic is too big?
Hmmm... I'll look into that. When it says something is too big, it usually means memory wise. How big is the file?

Back