Your state association

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Are you a member of you state association? If you are not what is the reason for not being a member?
If you are what is the bigest benefit you feel you recieve as an association member?

No, State association doesn't really do anything. They made a feeble attempt at a innkeeper get together and nothing much came of it. Also, they have relatively few members because of the previous statements.
I'd rather spend my money on other marketing.

We are lucky in that we have a good association. They have a super website that works for me.
By the way, El, I wanted to post on the blog on our website and can't figure out how to do it. When I sign in it takes me to my blog since I use the same site for my own. How do I enter information on it? I'm dense...
Riki

I'm part of the same state association as Riki... great website and we have a fairly active regional group that meets quarterly. The person-to-person networking is great.

I am and I think the most I get from that is free classes and lots and lots of email about the changing regulations, which I would have no idea about otherwise. I get little traffic from the site, it's not very well promoted. Really I pay for the expertise I can call on if I'm unsure of a reg.

Yes! I would not dream of not being a member. Our dues are downright cheap but for that we get:
  • a great web site with each inn having a page good enough to use as a web site until one could afford their own
  • in a 4-color annual Directory (have printed between 20 to 25k each year)
  • a realationship with the Tourism Division who looking kindly upon B & Bs
  • legislation to allow 6 rooms or less to operate without a commercial kitchen
  • legislation to change Fire Codes so B & Bs do not have to have the same fire doors, enclosed staircases, etc as a Holiday Inn or Marriott
  • mentoring
  • ads in publications that drive people to the web site where members can be found
  • the ability to say - inspected and approved - as we are inspected every 3 years
  • conferences with vendors (I found my potter and my maple syrup vendors at a conference) and excellent work sessions to learn many things over the years
  • networking and referrals
I asked DH what he thought were reasons and he named what I said but he also said that what someone gets out of the association depends on what they put in it. If they just pay their dues and are never heard from again, they will not be found because if they wait for someone to come to them - it ain't happening!

What states are you all from. I would love to see your state website. I should have asked the with the question first.

No I don't belong. http://www.nabb1.com/ Their web site is better now than it used to be. They get together once a year. To my knowledge have never offered an aspiring workshop. They charge by number of rooms or suites. So even though my suites rent lower than other rooms, I have to pay more to belong. I just don't see the advantage when I had 1 suite. When I am fully open, I may join because I will have time to be involved and I think that is key if you are going to belong to something.

Just recently joined our state association as they recently changed the membership criteria. I the past, a B&B had to 1st become a member of the state tourist association, then apply to the state B&B association. This made it virtually impossible for the smaller B&B's to be members and it did not represent the industry as a whole.
In the past 3-4 years they noticed their membership dwindle down to only a small core group and have been agressively making changes as they talk to innkeepers accross the state. The 1st change was to remove their close connection with the state tourist assoc. by removing the need to be a member of that assoc., thus the state B&B assoc. became more affordable.
I can not really comment what the best benefits are yet, I will need to wait and see but what they do is very similar to what GH stated about theirs.
We also have a county association - which is a Lodging association, not just for B&Bs. I get a more information about the lodging industry as a whole by being a member of this group and have made some good contacts here too. Several of the hotels nearby use me as their 1st option if they overbook. For them they feel it is a win win situation. They do not loose a good customer to another chain AND they know that this guest will get a great stay in the area. On my end, I may fill a room I thought would go empty (do not get many last minute bookings on my own and NO walkins in my area). We also ask members of the local and state CVB's to give a short talk on what they are doing and also have event planners, etc. come tell about their events and also get heads up on any new regulations coming down the pike or new legislation. I get a lot from this organization and for ~ $50 it is worth it. I also serve on the board - the only non hotel board member.

We are lucky in that we have a good association. They have a super website that works for me.
By the way, El, I wanted to post on the blog on our website and can't figure out how to do it. When I sign in it takes me to my blog since I use the same site for my own. How do I enter information on it? I'm dense...
Riki.
And a new association web site is well on its way. I have been compiling stuff all morning for the new one:) It will be the best ever!!!!! You click here And click on COMMENT.

Riki.
And a new association web site is well on its way. I have been compiling stuff all morning for the new one:) It will be the best ever!!!!! You click here And click on COMMENT.
Once you get others to start posting (with pix) it will be a great resource!

No, not a member.
OBBA appears to basically inspect inns and list them on their website. $345/year for that privilege, plus $45 first year fee. No one else in my area is listed with them either.
Have contacted them in the past, asking about the deadline for their directory. They're happy to send out a form. Beyond that the information is sparse. If someone was even slightly proactive in pursuing me I might have joined in spite of the high cost, but they never got back to me about deadlines, never contacted me about joining.
Maybe when the kids are older and I've got more time I'll join it and shake things up a bit...
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

i joined when we first were gearing up to open to lend credibility to our place. when you are brand new, with no history, it helps.
also, what i've found with associations is that potential guests see that you belong to a couple and might feel more confident about staying with you.
the only history we had was as 'an old wreck' ... NOT a good image for potential guests!

No, not a member.
OBBA appears to basically inspect inns and list them on their website. $345/year for that privilege, plus $45 first year fee. No one else in my area is listed with them either.
Have contacted them in the past, asking about the deadline for their directory. They're happy to send out a form. Beyond that the information is sparse. If someone was even slightly proactive in pursuing me I might have joined in spite of the high cost, but they never got back to me about deadlines, never contacted me about joining.
Maybe when the kids are older and I've got more time I'll join it and shake things up a bit...
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
wink_smile.gif

I hope I am still around to watch! THAT will be a good show! You could do it too!

i just opened a year ago October and was charged the association membership fee and a quality assurance fee in which they are to come to your inn, inspect, and give a certificate. I have yet to be surveyed, have asked numerous times for my money to be returned, i do not have access to board member names, only the president who is doing the poor job of organizing the website. I have not had one person stay who found me by way of the association. I am very unhappy and would like to report them, but who to? I will not be a member again.

i just opened a year ago October and was charged the association membership fee and a quality assurance fee in which they are to come to your inn, inspect, and give a certificate. I have yet to be surveyed, have asked numerous times for my money to be returned, i do not have access to board member names, only the president who is doing the poor job of organizing the website. I have not had one person stay who found me by way of the association. I am very unhappy and would like to report them, but who to? I will not be a member again..
carlarso said:
i just opened a year ago October and was charged the association membership fee and a quality assurance fee in which they are to come to your inn, inspect, and give a certificate. I have yet to be surveyed, have asked numerous times for my money to be returned, i do not have access to board member names, only the president who is doing the poor job of organizing the website. I have not had one person stay who found me by way of the association. I am very unhappy and would like to report them, but who to? I will not be a member again.
Which state? Maybe someone on here knows who you can contact.

Welcome to innspiring!
Why not try your state Attorney General's office. They should be able to assist you either personally or direct you to the proper channels to get assistance.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Back