Your take on laundry services for guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Guest asked for use of a laundry. The request was made during the reservation phone call.
One of us said yes. The other of us said, there is a laundromat in town.
We were not full, so could use the room.
Laundry is in a butlers pantry between guest space and our space, so they didn’t have to come into our home.
They were nice about it.
One thing we did agree on, when they arrived, they suggested that they should start their laundry after they come home from dinner. Both of us immediately said, ‘no!’ Night time is off time for us.

This has been discussed on other Forums. Those that doit in the UK usually charge $10 per load. They do the wash, dry, fold. My laundry is in the back corner of the kitchen. I do not want people in my kitchen even over and above the Health Dept (good fall guys) rules. Last year I did laundry for my pipleline folks BUT they over-paid (I told them that and they were OK with the price THEY set for it).

Funny you should mention laundry. We currently have guests from the UK staying in the cottage for a nice 10- night reservation. Prior to their arrival they emailed about laundry, asking if there were a washer and dryer in the cottage...there is not. After much back and forth between DH and me, I suggested 3 alternatives....none of which included using our personal washer and dryer. Nope...just do not want anyone, or anyone else’s clothes in my washer.
So we provided laundry detergent and clothespins for them to do hand wash, hanging the wet laundry on the clothesline out back. They could also have gone to the local laundromat or taken their clothes to the dry cleaner. I guess they were happy enough with the solution they chose as they just reserved another 10 nights for September. And I am happy to have maintained my personal boundaries.

Our laundry area is just off the kitchen. It's not exactly neat and tidy. Generally bags of trash reside there waiting to go to the trash cans outside. So, guests are not allowed in there.
Luckily, we have a laundromat across the street.
That does not mean guests want to spend any of their vacation at the laundry. We've found they go there, do 2 loads and bring it back here to drape over the furniture to dry.

Any time a guest asks for a service, it's a potential profit center for you. You just have to decide what your costs are and what you need to charge to make it worth your while.
For us, it's $10 a load. We have lots of hikers that pass through in the summer, and a laundry service is something they value.

We do it for $10 a load, wash and fold except for socks and undies. AYOR&P. We ask if they want fabric softener. We include 1 load with direct booking 1 week stays.

Funny you should mention laundry. We currently have guests from the UK staying in the cottage for a nice 10- night reservation. Prior to their arrival they emailed about laundry, asking if there were a washer and dryer in the cottage...there is not. After much back and forth between DH and me, I suggested 3 alternatives....none of which included using our personal washer and dryer. Nope...just do not want anyone, or anyone else’s clothes in my washer.
So we provided laundry detergent and clothespins for them to do hand wash, hanging the wet laundry on the clothesline out back. They could also have gone to the local laundromat or taken their clothes to the dry cleaner. I guess they were happy enough with the solution they chose as they just reserved another 10 nights for September. And I am happy to have maintained my personal boundaries..
My current piple guy asked about laundry and I told him about the laundromat. He called me the otehr evening whn I was out to ask about laundromats - the one in town closes at 7 PM. Turns out his stuff was washed, but needed to be dried. I told him to just hang it on the lcothes line in the back yard. He left it up overnight because it was too late to get dried.
Yesterday part of his laundry was on the ground,part just thrown over the lines. I hung & rehung, then before the night air dampened it again, took it down & threw into a basket. Told him next time, get a laundry basket and I will show him how to hang clothes to dry. He said,"They were dry." and I replied, that is because I rehung them for you. Twenty-somethings.......

We have a small coin-op laundry on site for our guests (two washers and one dryer, not sure what the guy who set it up was thinking, since the dryer takes twice as long as a wash....).

Back