Your Weather?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, if you haven't lived in CA, you really don't know about the quakes. But most people that live where we do don't realize that we live on one of the biggest fault lines in the Eastern U.S. We just don't see the same kind of movement.

Here on the California Central Coast it's right now 76 beautiful degrees!.
I'm coming to CA the end of this month - will you still be there? Fly into San Diego the 21st, drive up to Newport Coast, hopefully go to see a Dr. Phil taping and then back to San Diego - fly out on the 28th. Will it still be warm then?!
I'll be in California but much further north up in Mendo.
As for the weather, well, that's always hit or miss in California in the winter. Could be sublime, could be slides everywhere. Just no way of knowing.
But the weather in the south, especially as far south as San Diego, is much much milder in the winter than in the northern counties. So chances are very good that even if the whole week isn't perfect, you'll have a lot of perfect days in there somewhere!
It was in the 30's overnight in Southern Ca, it is a desert after all. :) But warms up during the day. Not to mention the earthquake they just had (I mean bigger earthquake from the Calexico fault, not your San Andreas) :) I say bigger for those no Ca's who don't realize there are dozens of them per day along the fault lines. There is a town in Northern Ca that is actually no longer where it used to be it has shifted from one quake after another clear across "town" here is something interesting for you to look at.... http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/121-37.html
Here is a list from this past week alone: CA and NV http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html
http://www.virtual.yosemite.cc.ca.us/ghayes/holliste.htm

Yep, if you haven't lived in CA, you really don't know about the quakes. But most people that live where we do don't realize that we live on one of the biggest fault lines in the Eastern U.S. We just don't see the same kind of movement..
Sure the tectonic activity is all over the place - we have these mountains running the full length of the east coast, Appalachian meet Piedmont like Gozilla meets King King. I am totally interested in Fall lines too, geology is much different here than elsewhere i have lived. Although I was in the big one in Seattle (Starbucks HQ crumbled in that one!), the big one in Sydney on the 37th floor downtown during that on, not good, and endured too many to count in Southern Ca.

Yep, if you haven't lived in CA, you really don't know about the quakes. But most people that live where we do don't realize that we live on one of the biggest fault lines in the Eastern U.S. We just don't see the same kind of movement..
Sure the tectonic activity is all over the place - we have these mountains running the full length of the east coast, Appalachian meet Piedmont like Gozilla meets King King. I am totally interested in Fall lines too, geology is much different here than elsewhere i have lived. Although I was in the big one in Seattle (Starbucks HQ crumbled in that one!), the big one in Sydney on the 37th floor downtown during that on, not good, and endured too many to count in Southern Ca.
I lived right on top of one of the most dangerous stretches of the San Andreas fault for 3 years. And not on bedrock; I was sitting in the marsh, where it's just going to turn to jello when the shaking starts. But while I was there, it was really really quiet. And too beautiful to worry about the inevitable...

I have Ohio people onboard. It's 47 outside and 64 inside. They are content without any heat (we don't have HEAT in Miami). I'm freezing my arse off! At least my guests are happy.

It has stopped snowing but is still overcast so probably more on the way. There was flooding due to very high tides and wind. Brrr. Too cold to think about flooding.

I have Ohio people onboard. It's 47 outside and 64 inside. They are content without any heat (we don't have HEAT in Miami). I'm freezing my arse off! At least my guests are happy..
It's 47 outside and 64 inside. They are content without any heat
That is because to them it IS warm! I turn my thermostat UP to 64 during the day. It may go higher today though. It is 12 outside right now.

the sky has brightened but we are still having snow showers. not sure of the depth but the snow is up to my knees. thankfully, it's fluffy so not hard to shovel. the drifts made pretty, vanilla ice cream landscapes all around.

Oh no....more snow...thankfully all we are getting are the cold north winds which are probably blowing the snow to you:-( I think i have had enough winter already..
Amen, Sister! If I ever see another snowflake this season, it will be too soon! Christmas Blizzard, snow the week before, snow last night and again a couple more times this week. Had someone shovel 5' drifts off the roof this past week. Still 4' drifts outside our door, that hubby tunneled a walk through. I'll hate it when it thaws and refreezes! I cleared a 20' square pad off our parking area today. Didn't touch the 100+' driveway. That is hubby's job.

I have Ohio people onboard. It's 47 outside and 64 inside. They are content without any heat (we don't have HEAT in Miami). I'm freezing my arse off! At least my guests are happy..
Our guests from the Midwest will turn on air conditioning on the most beautiful Fall & Spring days when neither heat nor A/C is necessary. And they'll be bundled up in heavy sweaters or sweatshirts. It's what they're used to, I guess. :)

Here is the global warming for our country today - have a look - brrrrrrrr!
http://vortex.plymouth.edu/uschill.gif.
It snowed all night and is in the teens. Guess who could not get it gear to go do earrands yesterday and therefore MUST venture forth today! Since I am leaving Sunday, DH has decided to get nervous about a noise in the Engine (clickity-clack when cold) so I also have an appointment at the dealership this afternoon - after the pharmacy, veggie run, getting tires rotated.......

OK, so for everyone complaining about your snow...my mailcarrier was on ABC news and my daughter got 33" of snow in one snowfall, and she doesn't live in the mountains!

OK, so for everyone complaining about your snow...my mailcarrier was on ABC news and my daughter got 33" of snow in one snowfall, and she doesn't live in the mountains!.
Morticia said:
OK, so for everyone complaining about your snow...my mailcarrier was on ABC news and my daughter got 33" of snow in one snowfall, and she doesn't live in the mountains!
HOLY COW! 33" of snow?! It's cold down here, woke up to 17 degrees again but we have no snow, although they are forecasting snow for later in the week
wow.gif

It was 47° INSIDE when I got up this morning. We don't have heat in Miami.

OK, so for everyone complaining about your snow...my mailcarrier was on ABC news and my daughter got 33" of snow in one snowfall, and she doesn't live in the mountains!.
Morticia said:
where does she live?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Morticia said:
where does she live?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

VT. I don't know how bad it was in NY, but I should probably call the other daughter and ask!

It snowed all last night and most of the day today. Roads are slushy but I did not have any interesting moments and I spent the day going from here to there to there and back to here and there. Getting car ready for Virginia trip and since my inspection sticker exipred in Dec it was imperative to start the day getting a new sticker. A few more years and I can get that sucker to expire in decent weather (orig sticker was Nov) - I am good now until Jan 2011. We expect a heat wave this week - up to 25 on Thursday!!

You know it's really cold in Miami when the news stops talking about the iguanas falling out of the trees, and instead talks about how the price of fruits and vegetables are going to skyrocket when we lose all the crops here. During a normal cold snap, the iguanas play dead (beyond their control) because they have no body heat. Their bodies go dormant and they fall from the trees. They lay there until it wams up again, and then they crawl away.
There was one place here that just got a load of firewood and they expected it to be gone in about a half an hour. Gotta wonder...where are they burning that wood? We don't have fireplaces here. Heck, I can't remember the last time I saw a chimney on a house. I'll have to pay more attention when I go out tomorrow.
You can't find a space heater or an electric blanket in this town anymore. And there is a stronger cold front coming this weekend. Ugh.....

Back