Your worst day...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also agree with Breakfast Diva. Lets just say "If you can dream it...it has happened!" But then again, you have ups and downs with any job. Just know that running your own Inn is a 7 day a week 24 hour a day job. You never get a day off...EVER! Even when you take time off your still connected. I hear the best part of owning a Inn is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. That said, we are going on 19 years and still enjoy it but its not for everyone. You get the good with the bad!.
I'm happy to hear you're still enjoying it after 19 years. I'd like this to be what takes me to retirement, which is probably 25-30 years away!
Do you already have a place in mind?
I have an area in mind. I'm putting myself on a 3-5 year timeline to get to the point of owning my b&b. Mainly, this is for financial reasons. An entirely different discussion!

Honestly, it isn't the work that scares me. I'm a workaholic at heart and hate sitting still. It's getting the financial approvals necessary to get into a property which is what scares me.
tonysbedandbreakfast said:
I have an area in mind. I'm putting myself on a 3-5 year timeline to get to the point of owning my b&b. Mainly, this is for financial reasons. An entirely different discussion!

Honestly, it isn't the work that scares me. I'm a workaholic at heart and hate sitting still. It's getting the financial approvals necessary to get into a property which is what scares me.
Most people don't really go about it this way, they jump in with both feet. Planning and asking horror stories? An odd combination. This forum has a decade of stories embedded throughout, I would just peruse the forum til you find what you are looking for.
Oh my. I am an obsessive planner! And I always look for the worst-case-scenario so that I can plan for it and know things usually turn out way better than I expect :) I'm an over-preparer, if you will.

Haven't read the other replies yet... this is so not going to get an answer. First, they are rare occasions and second, they will do you no good. Lastly, there have been trolls in the past that are only looking to damage our brand. Now I'll see what everyone else has to say..
Yes, I've heard about the "trolls." Honestly, I had no idea! I'm simply just trying to learn as much as I can :) All in due time.
Not to worry. I read the other replies. Much of what I expected folks would say.
We have spent 11 years focusing on the positives and that is what will drive you to attain your dream. With a cornucopia of wonderful guests, why would I want to focus on the very few challenges, most of which I can barely remember. Your guests will compliment you up one side and down the other if you're doing a good job.

I also agree with Breakfast Diva. Lets just say "If you can dream it...it has happened!" But then again, you have ups and downs with any job. Just know that running your own Inn is a 7 day a week 24 hour a day job. You never get a day off...EVER! Even when you take time off your still connected. I hear the best part of owning a Inn is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. That said, we are going on 19 years and still enjoy it but its not for everyone. You get the good with the bad!.
I'm happy to hear you're still enjoying it after 19 years. I'd like this to be what takes me to retirement, which is probably 25-30 years away!

Most people don't really go about it this way, they jump in with both feet. Planning and asking horror stories? An odd combination. This forum has a decade of stories embedded throughout, I would just peruse the forum til you find what you are looking for.
Oh my. I am an obsessive planner! And I always look for the worst-case-scenario so that I can plan for it and know things usually turn out way better than I expect :) I'm an over-preparer, if you will.
There is no way to prepare for anything like that. But there are ways to be the best you can be.

There is no way to prepare for anything like that. But there are ways to be the best you can be.
Miss you.

That was going to be my next comment. Stress is a big factor in this job and money is always at the top of the list. Income has a lot to do with what you choose. Location is the best advice to be able to have income. So make sure your in a great location. Also the amount of rooms you have is where you make your money. I would have no less than 4 with just you running it. You wont be able to hire much help with less than that. Unless your property is paid for. At 5-7 rooms you can afford to hire a little help. It might be easier to get approval from a bank with buying a Inn that is already running. It will also most likely be an instant cash flow.
Thanks! I took a mini online course to help narrow down what I'd like my B&B to look like, help me determine where, and analyze the area to get an idea of how big existing B&Bs are and what they charge, what their season is, etc. I have a good idea of what I *think* I can handle and would need to have to earn the money I want.

The hard part will be getting myself to the point of affording it and having a convincing enough business plan for a bank!

Where there's a will, there's a way. And anyone who'd love to discuss/shed light on how they bought/financed/started their first b&B...I'd love to talk to you. I've read a few stories on here but one day I'd love to go through the specifics with someone who has recently lived this same experience. #goals
part of it is you can't plan for "worst case" because its always new and surprising - its all about how you deal with it at the time - afterwards when you look back you may or may not do the same thing - its all about making the best decision you can with the information or facilities you have at the time ie your regular plumber who would come out any time for you is on holiday that week so you have to get in an emergency plumber and so on.
Plus I love my guests but they will find new and unusual ways to do or break things no matter how experienced you are - I would say if you are still say 2-3 years to go, maybe some kind of basic plumbing course might be a wise use of time!

Worst case?
My aunt ended up in the hospital with emergency cancer within a month of reopening after remodeling. I ran this place by myself as a newbie by getting up at 6am and working nonstop until 11pm or later to get everything done during prime time with a full house. (seven rooms and a two bedroom apartment) I'm still alive. So you have nothing to fear...

It hasn't happened to me yet, but I think the worst case scenario would be:
in hock up to your eyeballs, strongly negative reviews across the web, totally out of money, with little prospect of any more coming in.....

I think I've just had one of them. Guest left vacation rental smelling strongly of the the fish they cooked. Cleaned then left every window open for four days. Last night's guests left soon after arrival and wanted (and got) a refund due to lingering smell of the fish.

Back