You're an innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
...and a target
I do not like to say what I do, what happens when I do? The phone calls, the selling. I met a woman today (wife of someone DH knows) who could think of nothing else but grand plans for our B&B once she found out we own an inn. She sells marykay and can come over and do parties here for my guests. I could join her women's group since I have no clue what the heck I am doing, and then I could network with other women who want to sell me stuff, or my guests.
In 5 minutes she had it all worked out for me.

Will marykay never die? just wondering? pamperedchef, and all the other pyramid schemes...
Don't talk to me if you are trying to sell me something. They think they must be the only one who ever mentioned anything to me. Just because I don't talk about my business to you doesn't mean I want you to talk about it to me.

The orgainzations I don't "get" are the business networking clubs. You meet once a week for breakfast, listen to a speil from one of the member businesses, then promise you will refer friends, associates and families to other member businesses with the implication that you will steer other people exclusively to these members. The rest of breakfast time is devoted to a roll call with each member bragging about how many referrals he or she has personally made since the last meeting. I've lived here too long to promise to send all my business to the realtor, accountant or plumber that they designate.

Technically, I'm a Mary Kay rep... I bought the package last year because it was a deal. I order once a year to get the discount. And yes, the lady up the chain looks at me with dollar signs in her eyes... I could do this or that or whatever... have some product in the gift shop, put the book out for guests to read, samples in the amenity baskets... actually, that last idea was a good one... the sample hand lotions were cheaper than the ones I was putting in the baskets and now there's mascara and eye liner samples in them, too.
And the Premier Designs jewelry lady tried hard (and almost succeeded) in having me sign up to sell those. It was the first product I'd seen that I actually wanted to own most of what they sell (unlike Mary Kay, where I only use a few products), and will want their new jewelry in the future. If it didn't cost so much to buy in, I probably would do it like I do for Mary Kay... personal use only, no sales.
What I have to tell them (and the PD lady more than once) is that I already own a business and that the time I would spend on their biz would be better spent marketing the biz I have.
=)
Kk.

One advantage to being male... MK isn't interested in me. Neither are the Tuppers.

I find that we're the target for everyone to hit up for a donated gift certificate. Drives me batty! I especially resent it when it comes from a guest who stayed with us 1 night a couple years prior "oh...we just had such a wonderful time, I thought of you immediately for our kids' fundraiser". Ohhhhh, give me a break!!!

Will marykay never die? just wondering? pamperedchef, and all the other pyramid schemes...
Don't talk to me if you are trying to sell me something. They think they must be the only one who ever mentioned anything to me. Just because I don't talk about my business to you doesn't mean I want you to talk about it to me..
Mary Kay did die - a few years ago as a matter of fact, but her company lives on....

Technically, I'm a Mary Kay rep... I bought the package last year because it was a deal. I order once a year to get the discount. And yes, the lady up the chain looks at me with dollar signs in her eyes... I could do this or that or whatever... have some product in the gift shop, put the book out for guests to read, samples in the amenity baskets... actually, that last idea was a good one... the sample hand lotions were cheaper than the ones I was putting in the baskets and now there's mascara and eye liner samples in them, too.
And the Premier Designs jewelry lady tried hard (and almost succeeded) in having me sign up to sell those. It was the first product I'd seen that I actually wanted to own most of what they sell (unlike Mary Kay, where I only use a few products), and will want their new jewelry in the future. If it didn't cost so much to buy in, I probably would do it like I do for Mary Kay... personal use only, no sales.
What I have to tell them (and the PD lady more than once) is that I already own a business and that the time I would spend on their biz would be better spent marketing the biz I have.
=)
Kk..
KK, I am technically a MK rep too for exactly the same reason - I don't want to pay full price and I have two daughters who got hooked on the stuff.
I also sold Premier Designs YEARS ago! If you like any of their retired designs let me know as I may still have it!
It took me awhile to figure out what I really wanted to be when I grew up, but I learned that selling is not my thing!

We had something similar try and do it with us - however 70% of my customers are either here for business ie conference or builders which means are not the slightest bit interested in buying anything while they are here
the other 30% of weekend people - i have local produced stuff that has sat in a cupboard for 2 years not moving.
Did do Avon for a while (like mary kay) because you got 40% off anything you had for yourself and its not expensive in the first place - (actually it was DH's baby but i ended up doing the donkey work) ended up spending more myself to make the miniumums so it wasn't worth it. Also have a whole ton of sample stuff I need to get rid off and no idea what to do with it.

We had something similar try and do it with us - however 70% of my customers are either here for business ie conference or builders which means are not the slightest bit interested in buying anything while they are here
the other 30% of weekend people - i have local produced stuff that has sat in a cupboard for 2 years not moving.
Did do Avon for a while (like mary kay) because you got 40% off anything you had for yourself and its not expensive in the first place - (actually it was DH's baby but i ended up doing the donkey work) ended up spending more myself to make the miniumums so it wasn't worth it. Also have a whole ton of sample stuff I need to get rid off and no idea what to do with it..
When hit up for a donation, make a basket of the stuff you want rid of and make that your donation.

'What a wonderful idea! Let me know when you meet.' You'll find out 'suddenly' that you can't meet when they meet whenever it is. But, you've done your neighborly job by appearing interested. Those Mary Kay people are taught how to work a room. I'm sure she had a million ideas for everyone she met that night.
It's not personal. It's the way she's earning that pink cadillac, or whatever they're doing these days.

=)
Kk..
KK, I am technically a MK rep too for exactly the same reason - I don't want to pay full price and I have two daughters who got hooked on the stuff.
I also sold Premier Designs YEARS ago! If you like any of their retired designs let me know as I may still have it!
It took me awhile to figure out what I really wanted to be when I grew up, but I learned that selling is not my thing!
bbinnsitters said:
Selling is my thing... selling my B&B, that is. Not party selling. And I'm a single mom. Who would watch the kids? And most of these companies, I'm like, how much (or many) tupperware/ cookware/ purses/ candles do I need? But I admit I like the jewelry a lot...
=)
Kk.

I find that we're the target for everyone to hit up for a donated gift certificate. Drives me batty! I especially resent it when it comes from a guest who stayed with us 1 night a couple years prior "oh...we just had such a wonderful time, I thought of you immediately for our kids' fundraiser". Ohhhhh, give me a break!!!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I find that we're the target for everyone to hit up for a donated gift certificate. Drives me batty!
Yeah, drives me batty too, like it doesn't cost you anything to donate an overnight stay and breakfast. They don't bother the plumbing shop down the street for donations, nor do they hit up the doctors and nurses at the hospital. But because I have a certain kind of business I'm expected to give, time after time, when others don't have to. Not fair!
I wish everybody would just donate to the community chest or united way, then go to THEM when they need help.

I find that we're the target for everyone to hit up for a donated gift certificate. Drives me batty! I especially resent it when it comes from a guest who stayed with us 1 night a couple years prior "oh...we just had such a wonderful time, I thought of you immediately for our kids' fundraiser". Ohhhhh, give me a break!!!.
We're very lucky that most who hit us up for GC's are from out of state rather than just out of their minds. I use the back of the letter for scrap paper.

We're very lucky that most who hit us up for GC's are from out of state rather than just out of their minds. I use the back of the letter for scrap paper.
Madeleine said:
A lot of times they call to ask. I hate it. I then have to tell them we don't get any tax benefit and then I give them my usual speel about how we have our personal charities we give to and we keep it to our little local community.

Madeleine said:
A lot of times they call to ask. I hate it. I then have to tell them we don't get any tax benefit and then I give them my usual speel about how we have our personal charities we give to and we keep it to our little local community.
Breakfast Diva said:
Why explain anything? You owe them nothing. I just say, "I am sorry but we have already given our budgeted quota." You do not need to say your budgeted quota is ZERO!

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
We had a call last week from the county sheriff wanting a donation. Really? And what are my taxes for? It's the same guy who calls every year. He is completely bored and boring. If HE'S not excited why should I be? Once we get it clear that I don't want to buy an ad in the program he starts in on, 'How about $25? Can you come up with $25?'
And you know the attitude I'm getting at this point- What? Business is SO bad you can't afford $25?
Or the ones with the TX callerid who tell me all the money they collect goes to my local group. Yeah, right.
Then there are the ones who think they are the first to come up with the free weekend at a B&B idea. I tell them that they are the 47th organization to contact me this year with that very same idea and a weekend at a B&B costs me over $375 to 'give away' so if I do it for everyone I'm looking at 'donating' over $10,000/year to someone who won't remember the name of the place when they need accommodations for their out of town guests. Thank you very much.
If I don't have time for all of that I ask where do their out of town guests stay when they visit? Oh, the Hilton? Give them a call for the donation in that case.

''Business is SO bad you can't afford $25?''
that has got to be the RUDEST way to try to get someone to donate! are you kidding me?!

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Why explain anything? You owe them nothing. I just say, "I am sorry but we have already given our budgeted quota." You do not need to say your budgeted quota is ZERO!
I only explain when it's a previous guest. I'm hoping they don't feel insulted and will some day return.

that has got to be the RUDEST way to try to get someone to donate! are you kidding me?!.
seashanty said:
that has got to be the RUDEST way to try to get someone to donate! are you kidding me?!
I've had a couple of callers say something along those lines. They think they're being cute. Otherwise it is a general attitude you hear in their voice as they go from the $300 ad to a smaller ad to a smaller still ad to a donation and by the time they get to the $25 donation they are fed up with me.
They also tell me how many people will receive the program and ALL of them will want to stay at, um, your place. They don't even know where they've called!

Back