You're an innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
''Business is SO bad you can't afford $25?''
that has got to be the RUDEST way to try to get someone to donate! are you kidding me?!.
seashanty said:
that has got to be the RUDEST way to try to get someone to donate! are you kidding me?!
I've had a couple of callers say something along those lines. They think they're being cute. Otherwise it is a general attitude you hear in their voice as they go from the $300 ad to a smaller ad to a smaller still ad to a donation and by the time they get to the $25 donation they are fed up with me.
They also tell me how many people will receive the program and ALL of them will want to stay at, um, your place. They don't even know where they've called!
We picked a charity (in our case, the breakfast club for kids) and that's who gets the donation. When they call, we say that is our chosen charity. If they push, we say "are you suggesting we take away meals from hungry poor children?" Haven't had one person say yes, yet.
And we NEVER donate nights. It's people who don't want to be here and people I don't want here and there is no tax deductable receipt.

that has got to be the RUDEST way to try to get someone to donate! are you kidding me?!.
seashanty said:
that has got to be the RUDEST way to try to get someone to donate! are you kidding me?!
I've had a couple of callers say something along those lines. They think they're being cute. Otherwise it is a general attitude you hear in their voice as they go from the $300 ad to a smaller ad to a smaller still ad to a donation and by the time they get to the $25 donation they are fed up with me.
They also tell me how many people will receive the program and ALL of them will want to stay at, um, your place. They don't even know where they've called!
We picked a charity (in our case, the breakfast club for kids) and that's who gets the donation. When they call, we say that is our chosen charity. If they push, we say "are you suggesting we take away meals from hungry poor children?" Haven't had one person say yes, yet.
And we NEVER donate nights. It's people who don't want to be here and people I don't want here and there is no tax deductable receipt.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Me neither. I donate a basket with a little cookbook, a pound of my private label coffee, and a small jug of maple syrup. Sometimes I throw in a pack of microwave popcorn, too.
My first (and last) room night donation was for my nephew's baseball fundraiser, basically because my sister asked me to and she's done a lot (i.e., shelled out money) to promote me so the least I could do was support my nephew. Well, my room night was the most expensive item in the auction by far. The big basket from WM didn't retail for as much. Ever since I've given the baskets, which have been well received, look cute, and cost me less than $10.
=)
Kk.

seashanty said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Me neither. I donate a basket with a little cookbook, a pound of my private label coffee, and a small jug of maple syrup. Sometimes I throw in a pack of microwave popcorn, too.
My first (and last) room night donation was for my nephew's baseball fundraiser, basically because my sister asked me to and she's done a lot (i.e., shelled out money) to promote me so the least I could do was support my nephew. Well, my room night was the most expensive item in the auction by far. The big basket from WM didn't retail for as much. Ever since I've given the baskets, which have been well received, look cute, and cost me less than $10.
=)
Kk.
Oooh...great idea

'What a wonderful idea! Let me know when you meet.' You'll find out 'suddenly' that you can't meet when they meet whenever it is. But, you've done your neighborly job by appearing interested. Those Mary Kay people are taught how to work a room. I'm sure she had a million ideas for everyone she met that night.
It's not personal. It's the way she's earning that pink cadillac, or whatever they're doing these days..
Ah, if only I were so gracious...my blunt reply would be 'no, I don't think that interests me at this time'. While I get my point across, think a little Madeline inspired honey would do me good

I find that we're the target for everyone to hit up for a donated gift certificate. Drives me batty! I especially resent it when it comes from a guest who stayed with us 1 night a couple years prior "oh...we just had such a wonderful time, I thought of you immediately for our kids' fundraiser". Ohhhhh, give me a break!!!.
We're very lucky that most who hit us up for GC's are from out of state rather than just out of their minds. I use the back of the letter for scrap paper.
Madeleine said:
We're very lucky that most who hit us up for GC's are from out of state rather than just out of their minds. I use the back of the letter for scrap paper.
A lot of times they call to ask. I hate it. I then have to tell them we don't get any tax benefit and then I give them my usual speel about how we have our personal charities we give to and we keep it to our little local community.
Breakfast Diva said:
A lot of times they call to ask. I hate it. I then have to tell them we don't get any tax benefit and then I give them my usual speel about how we have our personal charities we give to and we keep it to our little local community.
Why explain anything? You owe them nothing. I just say, "I am sorry but we have already given our budgeted quota." You do not need to say your budgeted quota is ZERO!
the amount you do for your community they have a ruddy cheek! Its why for Harrogate at Christmas its not a donation its a payment for advertising therefore you can class it as a business expense.

seashanty said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
=)
Kk.
I keep on getting these requests from a group for animals... I'm not pet friendly. It just sends the wrong message.
The basket sounds lovely. I do have to work on a cookbook, though. I don't even have all my recipes organized. It's on my project list. Guests keep on asking me about it. I wonder if they actually try to make the recipes or just like having them? :)

I find that we're the target for everyone to hit up for a donated gift certificate. Drives me batty! I especially resent it when it comes from a guest who stayed with us 1 night a couple years prior "oh...we just had such a wonderful time, I thought of you immediately for our kids' fundraiser". Ohhhhh, give me a break!!!.
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Why explain anything? You owe them nothing. I just say, "I am sorry but we have already given our budgeted quota." You do not need to say your budgeted quota is ZERO!
That is what we do, too. "Sorry. Our advertising/marketing budget is already used up for the year."

We also donate gift baskets. I look for the actual baskets and things to put in then throughout the year, then add a home baked pie or two, or home baked loaf of bread. There are many local organizations we like to support. Local is the key.

I had someone suggest the Mary Kaye thing to me two years ago.
She wanted me to hold guests up here during breakfast and after so she could do her demonstration and try to sell to them and me. Ha!

She wanted me to hold guests up here during breakfast and after so she could do her demonstration and try to sell to them and me. Ha!.
Victoria said:
She wanted me to hold guests up here during breakfast and after so she could do her demonstration and try to sell to them and me. Ha!
I did mention that they are trained. They can also be annoying in their persistence and 'seeming' unawareness of how unlikely it is that someone wants to spend their vacation buying cosmetics at the breakfast table.

She wanted me to hold guests up here during breakfast and after so she could do her demonstration and try to sell to them and me. Ha!.
Victoria said:
I did mention that they are trained. They can also be annoying in their persistence and 'seeming' unawareness of how unlikely it is that someone wants to spend their vacation buying cosmetics at the breakfast table.
Madeleine said:
Victoria said:
I went to a local thrift store yesterday and browsed the book section and saw a book by Mary Kay, I think it was even called Mary Kay.
Sorry to everyone who buys into the pyramid schemes (if they haven't put me on ignore already). The worst, of course, vs a local trying to get their leg in my door, are guests who try to push it on you. Oh yeah, all sorts of candles "Because your guests would love them in their rooms!" and oils, soaps, and this that and the other. Anyone who has anything to sell will try it here, and put you in the awkard position. Going on a mission trip, would you like to sponsor us? I say "thank you" and that is it, and they stand baffled waiting for the yes, or the no. I just say "thank you." like I did to this lady who looked at me like a target vs her husband's friend's wife.
DH was a bit perturbed, I said "It is always the way. You can get on well with one, then the other is like this." I won't, and this is where I say I am old and cranky now, I won't be put in that position again to go anywhere with someone who is just trying to sell to me. See that is what it was like where I grew up, noone was genuine, they were all out to make a buck. Sell their soul to do it!
This person was not from "here" I will add. Sure their are plenty of those same things here, but she was from out of the area. I used to reply when I lived in the PacNW for 12 years "I will give you $25 to not invite me to a home party every again. Will that match what you are saving, or the free gift you get for hosting it?" I said this numerous times as the fads raged on throughout the community.
poke.gif

Victoria said:
Madeleine said:
Victoria said:
I went to a local thrift store yesterday and browsed the book section and saw a book by Mary Kay, I think it was even called Mary Kay.
Sorry to everyone who buys into the pyramid schemes (if they haven't put me on ignore already). The worst, of course, vs a local trying to get their leg in my door, are guests who try to push it on you. Oh yeah, all sorts of candles "Because your guests would love them in their rooms!" and oils, soaps, and this that and the other. Anyone who has anything to sell will try it here, and put you in the awkard position. Going on a mission trip, would you like to sponsor us? I say "thank you" and that is it, and they stand baffled waiting for the yes, or the no. I just say "thank you." like I did to this lady who looked at me like a target vs her husband's friend's wife.
DH was a bit perturbed, I said "It is always the way. You can get on well with one, then the other is like this." I won't, and this is where I say I am old and cranky now, I won't be put in that position again to go anywhere with someone who is just trying to sell to me. See that is what it was like where I grew up, noone was genuine, they were all out to make a buck. Sell their soul to do it!
This person was not from "here" I will add. Sure their are plenty of those same things here, but she was from out of the area. I used to reply when I lived in the PacNW for 12 years "I will give you $25 to not invite me to a home party every again. Will that match what you are saving, or the free gift you get for hosting it?" I said this numerous times as the fads raged on throughout the community.
poke.gif

I got invited to a lingerie party once upon a time. I never got invited again when there was a question about how much one of the teddies cost and I guessed something like $20 and it was $75.
One Tupperware party. One Pampered Chef party. One Avon party. After one invite I was never asked again! Then again, around here these parties aren't a big deal. I rarely hear anything about them.
To think that a business owner would risk her own livelihood to let a salesperson come into her business and sell to her guests while they are trying to have a relaxing vacation is behavior beyond rude. But they are all taught to sell, sell, sell and there is no such thing as 'no'.

Guest who creates "unique, affordable, and yummy lollipop gifts" - this is what it says on her card she gave me.
whattha.gif

Victoria said:
Madeleine said:
Victoria said:
poke.gif

I got invited to a lingerie party once upon a time. I never got invited again when there was a question about how much one of the teddies cost and I guessed something like $20 and it was $75.
One Tupperware party. One Pampered Chef party. One Avon party. After one invite I was never asked again! Then again, around here these parties aren't a big deal. I rarely hear anything about them.
To think that a business owner would risk her own livelihood to let a salesperson come into her business and sell to her guests while they are trying to have a relaxing vacation is behavior beyond rude. But they are all taught to sell, sell, sell and there is no such thing as 'no'.
I can't imagine anything more infuriating than someone trying to sell me things I don't want whilst staying at an Inn. My attitude would be that the sales person is just trying to earn a living, but it is the Inn keeper who has allowed them in is the person at fault.

Back