You're it - I need to vent

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
Can I please throw up all over youse guys for just a moment, since I cannot spill my guts anywhere else?
For quite a few years, we sort of discouraged people from bringing their kids. Then a couple of years ago, when we decided to take reservations online, grrrrr, kids started to magically appear again. Well behaved kids, enjoyable kids. Good!
But suddenly this year, we are overrun with unannounced children - reservations made online, the people lied about who they would be bringing and how many, or not bringing. Suddenly there's not 1 extra child, no, there's also grandma. I guess they were thinking we cannot count?
We have now the most over-indulged (is that a word?), doted on children, ignored and super loud and rude children staying here, that I have not seen since the early 2000's.
I am ready to release the hounds and chase them off the property.
I am worried about my regular guests, who come here for peace and quiet, and are disturbed by the constant screaming and whining.
My other half and I are not used to having to teach guests proper behavior when among civilized others. Ugh, just ugh.
Thank you for your ear. I am going to drink now, again

When they show up unannounced, they have broken your policy...you can tell them to leave if you don't take children and it is explained on your site and in directories. I would not hesitate to kick them to the curb...we NEVER took kids and if anyone showed up with one...they would not be staying with us. Our friends do the same thing.

Firstly, I'm so sorry. There's no more stressful feeling for an innkeeper than when the self-centered guests are impacting the wonderful ones.
We have a whole paragraph in our confirmation stating our child age limit is 13, if you show up with someone not listed on the reservation or under our age limit you will not be allowed to stay here and you WILL be charged. I know it's too late for this today and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it.

Sorry to hear this.
I'm in agreement with others - get it on your website and in your confirmation that unexpected guests will be asked to leave. And the stay will be charged to the person who made the reservation.

I am so sorry. My site specifies that children must bring at least one well-behaved adult with them. Sounds like that was overlooked also. You really are within your rights to advise them your other guests re here for peace and quiet and IF that is not happening, they WILL be asked to leave. How long are they supposed to stay?

When they show up unannounced, they have broken your policy...you can tell them to leave if you don't take children and it is explained on your site and in directories. I would not hesitate to kick them to the curb...we NEVER took kids and if anyone showed up with one...they would not be staying with us. Our friends do the same thing..
Ditto. No kids. Period. Last year we turned away a woman who was on her way here with her 14 year old in tow, whom she planned to leave unattended in the house while she attended a work shop for 5 mornings. Sorry....you'll have to stay someplace else!
She specifically made the reservation for one adult, traveling alone. We do not accept minors. Must be 18 or older. And we stick to it. I kept her deposit but found her another accommodation. There were no repercussions.
But that does not help you does it? I feel for you. It sounds like you have reached your limit. So sorry that your summer is starting out this way. If it happens again you should refuse to let them stay and charge them.

Firstly, I'm so sorry. There's no more stressful feeling for an innkeeper than when the self-centered guests are impacting the wonderful ones.
We have a whole paragraph in our confirmation stating our child age limit is 13, if you show up with someone not listed on the reservation or under our age limit you will not be allowed to stay here and you WILL be charged. I know it's too late for this today and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it..
Donald Draper said:
We have a whole paragraph in our confirmation stating our child age limit is 13, if you show up with someone not listed on the reservation or under our age limit you will not be allowed to stay here and you WILL be charged. I know it's too late for this today and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it.
thank you, but I don't have a B&B, we actually have no problem with children unless, like all the many that are here this week are ill-mannered. However, it was nice the last 10 or so years, when we weren't "good enough" for the bratskies and their parents took them to other places, thank you very much, ugh. It's only June 30th and I want to go away.
The other problem would be for me to send them away. I need the money, I have 3 months to make it through the year.
We are calling a real estate agent in the fall and are getting ready to unload this place, if this keeps going like that all summer.
I love being able to vent. Thanks for indulging me

I am so sorry. My site specifies that children must bring at least one well-behaved adult with them. Sounds like that was overlooked also. You really are within your rights to advise them your other guests re here for peace and quiet and IF that is not happening, they WILL be asked to leave. How long are they supposed to stay?.
gillumhouse said:
I am so sorry. My site specifies that children must bring at least one well-behaved adult with them. Sounds like that was overlooked also. You really are within your rights to advise them your other guests re here for peace and quiet and IF that is not happening, they WILL be asked to leave. How long are they supposed to stay?
They finally left. Those nasty little boys were caught by other guests throwing landscape rocks at my gorgeous chicken coop and after being asked by my husband why they did this, they said they didn't do anything, all the while their parents were watching. the other thing is, they were Pakistani living in the Detroit area. If we had booted them out, I can just see the lawsuit coming for being racist. It is a sign of the times. People can be awful

Feeling for you Iris! While the drink doesn't make the people go away it sure soften the anger. Hoping tomorrow is much better.

I am so sorry. My site specifies that children must bring at least one well-behaved adult with them. Sounds like that was overlooked also. You really are within your rights to advise them your other guests re here for peace and quiet and IF that is not happening, they WILL be asked to leave. How long are they supposed to stay?.
gillumhouse said:
They finally left. Those nasty little boys were caught by other guests throwing landscape rocks at my gorgeous chicken coop and after being asked by my husband why they did this, they said they didn't do anything, all the while their parents were watching. the other thing is, they were Pakistani living in the Detroit area. If we had booted them out, I can just see the lawsuit coming for being racist. It is a sign of the times. People can be awful
Ah, yes, the GOTCHA Card. And the problem is there are so many cards in that deck - too many for us to keep track of. No matter who or what we may happen to be, WE are not the "protected class" of the moment.

Feeling for you Iris! While the drink doesn't make the people go away it sure soften the anger. Hoping tomorrow is much better..
Yep, the bubbly softens the pain.
I will be fine. We all have our pains. I appreciate all the kind words. I am sure many of you had a hiccup or two in the last week or so too.

gillumhouse said:
Ah, yes, the GOTCHA Card. And the problem is there are so many cards in that deck - too many for us to keep track of. No matter who or what we may happen to be, WE are not the "protected class" of the moment.
nail on head, K.

I hate when this happens.... we have had it happen once or twice, but we have managed to discourage it, most of the time, except one particular ethnicity that doesn't seem to count children as people.
Can I suggest that on your confirmation you write something like... The room is booked for ____ people. Any unexpected guests beyond this number are subject to a daily extra charge of $y if prebooked and $z if added upon arrival. It may not solve the problem, but it will certainly cut down on the problem.
(I will admit that we sometimes get parents visiting their college aged kids.... we tell them that it's the same charge as an extra person if they want to bring the child to breakfast, if they ask and then don't charge them. But if they don't ask, we do charge.)

"Per federal housing regulations, private residences are limited to two guests per room. Unnanounced guests will be billed at $150 each.
Believe it or not, fed regulations prescribe 2 per bedroom and 1 in living room max. Landlords are often aware of this.

When they show up unannounced, they have broken your policy...you can tell them to leave if you don't take children and it is explained on your site and in directories. I would not hesitate to kick them to the curb...we NEVER took kids and if anyone showed up with one...they would not be staying with us. Our friends do the same thing..
Ditto. No kids. Period. Last year we turned away a woman who was on her way here with her 14 year old in tow, whom she planned to leave unattended in the house while she attended a work shop for 5 mornings. Sorry....you'll have to stay someplace else!
She specifically made the reservation for one adult, traveling alone. We do not accept minors. Must be 18 or older. And we stick to it. I kept her deposit but found her another accommodation. There were no repercussions.
But that does not help you does it? I feel for you. It sounds like you have reached your limit. So sorry that your summer is starting out this way. If it happens again you should refuse to let them stay and charge them.
Unbelievable. You get the risk of unattended minor

We have a whole paragraph in our confirmation stating our child age limit is 13, if you show up with someone not listed on the reservation or under our age limit you will not be allowed to stay here and you WILL be charged. I know it's too late for this today and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it..
Donald Draper said:
thank you, but I don't have a B&B, we actually have no problem with children unless, like all the many that are here this week are ill-mannered. However, it was nice the last 10 or so years, when we weren't "good enough" for the bratskies and their parents took them to other places, thank you very much, ugh. It's only June 30th and I want to go away.
The other problem would be for me to send them away. I need the money, I have 3 months to make it through the year.
We are calling a real estate agent in the fall and are getting ready to unload this place, if this keeps going like that all summer.
I love being able to vent. Thanks for indulging me
I'm with you, if I vent here it won't spill over out front
regular_smile.gif

Hope today's better.

at least in the UK we have CRB (criminal record check) makes a super excuse ie we arn't CRB Checked so cannot look after your child its against the law.
We are getting rid of our last family room in December - we can't accommodate the numbers at breakfast and I don't need the hassel of people booking in for 3 adults in a room which I don't want. Was trying to give families a break but now its ring and request - no online booking or extra bed option. Had 3 women turn up for it on saturday with a hen party - we specifically say no hen parties so could have declined them then and there, but felt bad as the booking wasn't made by them and to be fair they were well behaved.

at least in the UK we have CRB (criminal record check) makes a super excuse ie we arn't CRB Checked so cannot look after your child its against the law.
We are getting rid of our last family room in December - we can't accommodate the numbers at breakfast and I don't need the hassel of people booking in for 3 adults in a room which I don't want. Was trying to give families a break but now its ring and request - no online booking or extra bed option. Had 3 women turn up for it on saturday with a hen party - we specifically say no hen parties so could have declined them then and there, but felt bad as the booking wasn't made by them and to be fair they were well behaved.
How do you specifically say, "no hen parties" on a web site?

I did once have to tell a boy, "Please do not throw rocks into the koi pond. You will hurt the fish." And yes, his Mother was lounging right beside him. And she and he went inside and left shortly after.
I really didn't mind if he stuck around. I just didn't want him throwing my landscape into my koi pond.

Back