You've Gotta Love 'em

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Guests arrived at 12.15 today, saw he sign on the door saying check-in is from 4pm, so they got in their car and went away.
3.30 they were back, saw the sign again and went for a walk.
3.55 they're back so I let them in, asked their name... no, no booking here. I asked when she booked it and she said by phone in April and it was either here or xxx B&B down the road. Not here.
Sent her off to xxx. How can you not know which B&B you booked.
confused_smile.gif

We've had those guests - totally wrong place! We send a reminder a couple of days before.
Oh, but it looks like the place we booked!
Glad your non-guests didn't pester you!

Highlands John said:
How can you not know which B&B you booked.
confused_smile.gif
Some people don't read, don't have a clue where they are going, at least they didn't book and tie up your room in error. We have had several that booked rooms (North Carolina), but were expecting a place with the same or similar name in Canada, at least yours had the correct country.

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
Some people don't read, don't have a clue where they are going, at least they didn't book and tie up your room in error. We have had several that booked rooms (North Carolina), but were expecting a place with the same or similar name in Canada, at least yours had the correct country..
JimBoone said:
Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
Some people don't read, don't have a clue where they are going, at least they didn't book and tie up your room in error. We have had several that booked rooms (North Carolina), but were expecting a place with the same or similar name in Canada, at least yours had the correct country.
Had a no-show last week. Charged their card the full stay and emailed to tell them. Not heard a thing back. Maybe they booked the wrong B&B too.

And I'm sure they have a situation like that almost every day.
Some people, like I am, obsess about things like this. I study the place I've booked, look it up on Streetview, where I wander around the neighborhood a bit and see where the restaurants are. By the time I arrive, it's like I've already been there a few days.
Then there are the other ones, who don't sweat the details and bounce around daily, lost but not concerned about it. I guess in the end, my prep time up front matches their "we're lost again" time at the end, and apparently all are OK with that!

I forgot the name of the B&B I booked in Pittsburgh but remembered part of the name and the location so I just goo gled as I did in the first place (in Feb) and printed it off before I left in June. I DID forget check-in time and since I figured I was early, just sat in the parking lot doing some sewing until I was certain it was OK to go in.

And I'm sure they have a situation like that almost every day.
Some people, like I am, obsess about things like this. I study the place I've booked, look it up on Streetview, where I wander around the neighborhood a bit and see where the restaurants are. By the time I arrive, it's like I've already been there a few days.
Then there are the other ones, who don't sweat the details and bounce around daily, lost but not concerned about it. I guess in the end, my prep time up front matches their "we're lost again" time at the end, and apparently all are OK with that!.
LOL. I sway between both states of being. Depends on how much is going on at the time. Right now, I'm waiting on one departure so I can do two turnovers and a one refresh.
While I wait I'm also going to book at short break at an inn we have visited before. So we won't get lost.
wink_smile.gif

Once had a lady show up for a reservation... nope, no reservation. She filled in the form, but never submitted it. He luck, I had a room... but it's not usually that lucky.

Once had a lady show up for a reservation... nope, no reservation. She filled in the form, but never submitted it. He luck, I had a room... but it's not usually that lucky..
I had an Italian couple turn up one day insisting they had a reservation. When I asked how much deposit they paid the husband said he didn't pay one because when he phoned the lady said they didn't need to pay a deposit.
I told him 1) We never take bookings without a deposit and 2) there's no lady here.
I did have an empty room which they took, in the morning the husband admitted he'd found the paperwork and he'd booked a B&B on the other side of the Loch.

Once had a lady show up for a reservation... nope, no reservation. She filled in the form, but never submitted it. He luck, I had a room... but it's not usually that lucky..
Generic said:
Once had a lady show up for a reservation... nope, no reservation. She filled in the form, but never submitted it. He luck, I had a room... but it's not usually that lucky.
I had guests from Australia arrive a day early bc they'd forgotten about crossing the international date line. I was full but found them a room at a B&B down the street. Very kind guests who left a glowing review online!

Blocked all of our rooms last night because I had doctor’s appointments booked months ago. We were in town (an hour away) and got a phone call—two hours before our normal check in.
“Hello, I know we’re early, but just wondering if we could bring in our luggage”
Uh, no. There is no one staying tonight. Got handed over to the husband, he was adamant they were staying with me. Said they had booked on Ex**ia and even received my confirmation email with directions and everything! No, I said, I had no one staying. He started getting snarky with me and said he would read my confirmation to me. Um, he read off March 28 and 29th, 2019. When I pointed out to him what he just read, he went into defence mode and wanted to know where else he could stay in the area. I gave him a few suggestions and then he hung up. Thankfully, the reservation had been made the day before so I was able to go into my Ex**ia page and cancel the reservation myself.
No apologies, no nothing.

Blocked all of our rooms last night because I had doctor’s appointments booked months ago. We were in town (an hour away) and got a phone call—two hours before our normal check in.
“Hello, I know we’re early, but just wondering if we could bring in our luggage”
Uh, no. There is no one staying tonight. Got handed over to the husband, he was adamant they were staying with me. Said they had booked on Ex**ia and even received my confirmation email with directions and everything! No, I said, I had no one staying. He started getting snarky with me and said he would read my confirmation to me. Um, he read off March 28 and 29th, 2019. When I pointed out to him what he just read, he went into defence mode and wanted to know where else he could stay in the area. I gave him a few suggestions and then he hung up. Thankfully, the reservation had been made the day before so I was able to go into my Ex**ia page and cancel the reservation myself.
No apologies, no nothing..
Sorry, I'm laughing. I've had the 'irate husband' reading me the riot act and then demanding where else they could stay when they finally read their confirmation to me over the phone and, yeah, wrong dates.

Sorry, I'm laughing. I've had the 'irate husband' reading me the riot act and then demanding where else they could stay when they finally read their confirmation to me over the phone and, yeah, wrong dates.
I've had people arrive at the door when they've booked the wrong month, with their confirmation in their hand and when I tell them we're full they demand "Where are we going to stay?".
If they were at least a little contrite I would ring round the local B&Bs and try and find them something, if they try to make it sound like I'm somehow to blame and it's my responsibility to find them something they get pointed towards the nearest big town.

2cat_lady said:
he went into defence mode and wanted to know where else he could stay in the area. I gave him a few suggestions and then he hung up.
I can think of one place I would have liked to tell him to go...
devil_smile.gif

Back