Ypartnership research labels leisure travelers by travel ‘tribe’

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Ypartnership research labels leisure travelers by travel ‘tribe’[/h1]Does this sound like your place?
gazers, geezers and greens. :)
Read the article HERE

Excerpt:
Also, among those who plan to cut back on travel, boomers (those in the 45-63 age bracket) were more likely than other demographic groups to cite household budget concerns as the reason.
From JB: Okay once again, while one article states MORE travel another states LESS travel. And now age 45 is a baby boomer? HUH? These writers need to do some homework, this is making me insane.

Excerpt:
The research, co-sponsored by Travel Weekly’s parent, Northstar Travel Media, was conducted in February among 2,524 U.S. adults with household incomes of $50,000 or more who had taken at least one overnight leisure trip during the prior year.
Among other findings:
• 14% of respondents purchased a travel service as the result of a unexpected email solicitation, with air travel and lodging tied at 47% as the services most frequently purchased this way.
• 27% of travelers took at least one "last-minute" trip last year.
• 47% of smartphone owners have navigated at a destination using a smartphone’s GPS function, but only 6% have downloaded an audio walking tour.
• 65% have taken a vacation to celebrate a milestone birthday, anniversary, reunion or other similar event.
• 81% consider themselves "environmentally conscious," but only 9% made a travel decision last year based on environmental considerations.
JB: So what we need to do is turn the OVERNIGHT TRIP into a weekend or multiple night stay. Please share your thoughts on this innkeepers. :)

Excerpt:
The research, co-sponsored by Travel Weekly’s parent, Northstar Travel Media, was conducted in February among 2,524 U.S. adults with household incomes of $50,000 or more who had taken at least one overnight leisure trip during the prior year.
Among other findings:
• 14% of respondents purchased a travel service as the result of a unexpected email solicitation, with air travel and lodging tied at 47% as the services most frequently purchased this way.
• 47% of smartphone owners have navigated at a destination using a smartphone’s GPS function, but only 6% have downloaded an audio walking tour.
• 65% have taken a vacation to celebrate a milestone birthday, anniversary, reunion or other similar event.
• 81% consider themselves "environmentally conscious," but only 9% made a travel decision last year based on environmental considerations.
JB: So what we need to do is turn the OVERNIGHT TRIP into a weekend or multiple night stay. Please share your thoughts on this innkeepers. :)
Joey Bloggs said:
So what we need to do is turn the OVERNIGHT TRIP into a weekend or multiple night stay. Please share your thoughts on this innkeepers. :)
You are exactly right, JB.
More folks are traveling. But they are going for shorter and closer trips.
Innkeepers can either stretch those 1 nights into stay-overs via targeted specials or charge a premium for 1-night stays.
Either way, we win.

Excerpt:
Also, among those who plan to cut back on travel, boomers (those in the 45-63 age bracket) were more likely than other demographic groups to cite household budget concerns as the reason.
From JB: Okay once again, while one article states MORE travel another states LESS travel. And now age 45 is a baby boomer? HUH? These writers need to do some homework, this is making me insane..
1963 is last year for the Boomers. So, 45 is pushing it.
I have to say that almost everyone who comes thru the door is in that age group or older. The breeze from them waving their AARP cards could keep me cool all summer...

Excerpt:
Among other findings:
My single nights are all going somewhere else when they leave or they are coming back from somewhere else. Case in point is this weekend. Almost everyone here was coming from or going to another destination. So, they are not cutting their vacations shorter, they are just trying to see more.
Closest guest was from NH, farthest from MO. Average distance was over 500 miles. Tonight it's KS & IL. The rest of the week it's IL, MD, NJ, GA, MO. None of these places are less than 8 hours' drive and most are flying in.

I agree with that as well Mortie, we have had so many one nighters who are enroute to the next destination all a part of a larger journey they have planned, but they miss everything when they do that, this is so typical of our UK guests, although actually I will take that back, this year so far the UK guests are here for a few days at a time using us more as a portal.
poke.gif

What Welcome to Yorkshire (our local tourism gov people) is trying to make people more aware of what there is locally to do to try and encourage people to stay longer and spend money. If I know people are here for leasure I have an electronic sightseeing guide I pop on their confirmation as an attachment or onto enquiries. I also get info from our Tourist office about what is going on ie festivals and sometimes say oh you are comming 8th June did you know there is this on___ and the next day and or the day before there is etc.

What Welcome to Yorkshire (our local tourism gov people) is trying to make people more aware of what there is locally to do to try and encourage people to stay longer and spend money. If I know people are here for leasure I have an electronic sightseeing guide I pop on their confirmation as an attachment or onto enquiries. I also get info from our Tourist office about what is going on ie festivals and sometimes say oh you are comming 8th June did you know there is this on___ and the next day and or the day before there is etc..
. . . I have an electronic sightseeing guide I pop on their confirmation as an attachment or onto enquiries. I also get info from our Tourist office about what is going on ie festivals and sometimes say oh you are comming 8th June did you know there is this on___ and the next day and or the day before there is etc.
Brilliant. :)

What Welcome to Yorkshire (our local tourism gov people) is trying to make people more aware of what there is locally to do to try and encourage people to stay longer and spend money. If I know people are here for leasure I have an electronic sightseeing guide I pop on their confirmation as an attachment or onto enquiries. I also get info from our Tourist office about what is going on ie festivals and sometimes say oh you are comming 8th June did you know there is this on___ and the next day and or the day before there is etc..
It pays to know what is happening in your area.

Just remember ya'll you need to remind them what there is to do in our areas. They won't remember, we have to tell them! And tell them again. :)

we were really lucky last year as there was a new christmas fair and we got a lot of free tickets so when anyone was comming for those dates we were able to say Oh are you comming for the fair? it is on and we have free tickets and people were really pleased and got lots of their xmas shopping done (the tickets were $12 on the door so a good saving)

we were really lucky last year as there was a new christmas fair and we got a lot of free tickets so when anyone was comming for those dates we were able to say Oh are you comming for the fair? it is on and we have free tickets and people were really pleased and got lots of their xmas shopping done (the tickets were $12 on the door so a good saving)
Nice.

Back