Yuck! Pillow

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Went into a guest's bedroom to straighten up today. Guest of course put luggage on the day bed... all the better to transfer BBs. Don't understand why they lack common sense.... they put the extra pillows on top of the luggage rack, of course. So they removed the comforter, took out blankets, rejected the normal pillow and used the single for the daybad. Nothing extraordinary... but on the bed they had brought in (snuck in) their own pillows. Normally if we see a pillow we ask to put them in the dryer to keep BBs from transfering (unless they are memory foam, can't do that to memory foam, we instead inspect.) Not particularly pleased that they snuck in pillows. But I look at the pillows and while they have a pillow case, they have no pillow protector and I can see the ratty stained and yellowed pillow inside. YUCK! I can't believe what some people will sleep with. It was deep yellowish brown with sweat marks, repeatedly over the years. Well, at least it looked like YEARS to me. Seriously, people hae never heard of the washer and dryer? Buying a new pillow? A pillow protector? I think I need a shower!

this is what always makes me cringe - do they think their pillows are cleaner than ours? we certainly change them a lot more frequently than they do.

i agree it's seriously yuck ... but you ask to put personal pillows in the dryer?
i never thought of that.
how long and how hot will kill the bb's if any?

i agree it's seriously yuck ... but you ask to put personal pillows in the dryer?
i never thought of that.
how long and how hot will kill the bb's if any?.
Absolutely 20 to 25 minutes kills BB if there are any (and anything else).

this is what always makes me cringe - do they think their pillows are cleaner than ours? we certainly change them a lot more frequently than they do..
I mean seriously. I have pillow protectors on mine. I wash the pillows to get the oil out of them and keep them fluffy. I bleach the covers. And I replace them often. Instead this pillow must be at least 5 years old if it was a day and it's just GROSS.

You should be thankful they are slobbering on their ow, and not on your pillows...

this is what always makes me cringe - do they think their pillows are cleaner than ours? we certainly change them a lot more frequently than they do..
this is what always makes me cringe - do they think their pillows are cleaner than ours? we certainly change them a lot more frequently than they do.
It's not always cleanliness. I have to bring my own pillow now because I can't sleep on the really puffed up pillows most places have. I need my flat (yes, old) pillow or I wake up with a really sore neck.

It's not always cleanliness. I have to bring my own pillow now because I can't sleep on the really puffed up pillows most places have. I need my flat (yes, old) pillow or I wake up with a really sore neck.
I stock a flat pillow (king size) for my sister-in-law. Usually for tummy sleepers. Purchased from some Swedes.

I always bring my own pillow when I travel but I do wash the actual pillow and proctetor from time to time. I would not be happy if some innkeeper came and tampered with my pillow while I was out for the day.

I stock a flat pillow (king size) for my sister-in-law. Usually for tummy sleepers. Purchased from some Swedes.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I am going to assume an innkeeper has only the pillows that are on the bed so I wouldn't ask if they had others because I know what it's like to have guests ask for something I don't have.
(We have had guests just go rifle thru the other rooms to find the pillow they want, which is more annoying than just asking.)

I always bring my own pillow when I travel but I do wash the actual pillow and proctetor from time to time. I would not be happy if some innkeeper came and tampered with my pillow while I was out for the day..
If I see you enter with it, we will kindly ask for it and explain why. I wouldn't touch it without permission. And this one... I wouldn't touch it even with permision

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I am going to assume an innkeeper has only the pillows that are on the bed so I wouldn't ask if they had others because I know what it's like to have guests ask for something I don't have.
(We have had guests just go rifle thru the other rooms to find the pillow they want, which is more annoying than just asking.)
And I would be delighted if they asked. I have a stack of different pillows in case someone needs them, including flat and memory foam.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
And I would be delighted if they asked. I have a stack of different pillows in case someone needs them, including flat and memory foam.
we have a few in for people who need feather (now and again) and a few super flat ones. This is in their guest information but they never read that.

People just have their preferences. We had people traveling by car arrive with pillows, quilts, blankets...all kinds of "comfort" items. It is what it is....

We take our own pillows usually (did not this time) because DH wants one that is paper thin flat and want my feathers that are all balled up.
I went to change the pillow protector on my pillow a while back and discovered that is what was holding the feathers in - the pillow casing had apparently give up the ghost with one punch too many. So it is now in a pillow protector over the pillow protector under the pillow case. DH refers to my pillow as a rock.

Back