Yummy Summer Strawberry Bread

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG...did you see the Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich with Guacamole and Roasted Jalapeno Mayo in that website???? That's going on my lunch menu!
http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/05/tequila-lime-grilled-chicken-club.html.
Everything on this site looks amazing, the color on the plates jumps out at me, I am all into it! Like this:
Mexican%2BBaked%2BEggs%2B500%2B6859.jpg

I would never ever ever have a guest touch this with a ten foot pole. and yet I would be all over this in a heart beat! It screams flavor.
I picked up chorizo yesterday and set it back down, saying "forget it, they won't eat it"
I bought some queen anne cherries, amazing, you know how they are if you have had them, and gave them to guests, they wouldn't eat them. It insults me, there is no way I could ever give them a beautiful avocado, or anything extra special and have it come back untouched.
In other news, I cut a new seedless watermelon in half and WHAT THE! It was YELLOW! It was a yellow flesh watermelon! I served it to guests all weekend (with our one nighters all weekend) and told them "It looks like pineapple, it is yellow watermelon, have you had it before?" So that scared them, but they tried it and liked it. It was a fluke that I found it. It was incredible and fun!
yellowflesh.jpg

OMG...did you see the Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich with Guacamole and Roasted Jalapeno Mayo in that website???? That's going on my lunch menu!
Everything on this site looks amazing, the color on the plates jumps out at me, I am all into it! Like this:

I would never ever ever have a guest touch this with a ten foot pole. and yet I would be all over this in a heart beat! It screams flavor.
I picked up chorizo yesterday and set it back down, saying "forget it, they won't eat it"
I bought some queen anne cherries, amazing, you know how they are if you have had them, and gave them to guests, they wouldn't eat them. It insults me, there is no way I could ever give them a beautiful avocado, or anything extra special and have it come back untouched.
In other news, I cut a new seedless watermelon in half and WHAT THE! It was YELLOW! It was a yellow flesh watermelon! I served it to guests all weekend (with our one nighters all weekend) and told them "It looks like pineapple, it is yellow watermelon, have you had it before?" So that scared them, but they tried it and liked it. It was a fluke that I found it. It was incredible and fun!
yellowflesh.jpg

Queen Anne, Ranier cherries...LOVE THEM!!!! Expensive for sure but worth it. I had the yellow watermelon locally grown here last summer. Thought it was fun!

yellowflesh.jpg

Queen Anne, Ranier cherries...LOVE THEM!!!! Expensive for sure but worth it. I had the yellow watermelon locally grown here last summer. Thought it was fun!
catlady said:
Yeah they are a real treat. (For some of us anyway! I used to buy Rainier Cherries/Queen Anne fresh picked that very day at Tacoma Boys every summer - mention this in case there is anyone from the PacNW on the forum who knows TB).
I always look for things that are different or not so common - at least fruit I can share a little bit with guests. I had the best ever mangos last week, I cut and cubed them and put in a fruit cup (not fruit salad), and the cups came back to the kitchen with the mangos left in them. I can understand papaya, but these were the best ever mangos! (after I cut them for the guests I was secretly in the kitchen scraping the seed clean with my teeth, they were that good! Thank you, Costa Rica). :)
But alas, it is only me, 50% of our guests have tried these things, the other 50% have not, and will not. Unfortunately.

yellowflesh.jpg

catlady said:
Yeah they are a real treat. (For some of us anyway! I used to buy Rainier Cherries/Queen Anne fresh picked that very day at Tacoma Boys every summer - mention this in case there is anyone from the PacNW on the forum who knows TB).
I always look for things that are different or not so common - at least fruit I can share a little bit with guests. I had the best ever mangos last week, I cut and cubed them and put in a fruit cup (not fruit salad), and the cups came back to the kitchen with the mangos left in them. I can understand papaya, but these were the best ever mangos! (after I cut them for the guests I was secretly in the kitchen scraping the seed clean with my teeth, they were that good! Thank you, Costa Rica). :)
But alas, it is only me, 50% of our guests have tried these things, the other 50% have not, and will not. Unfortunately.
The couple who lived across the road from the top of my Granny's lane (where we waited for the school bus when we lived at Granny's) had a small orchard of yellow cherries. I wonder if they ever got any - we were stealing them and stuffing our faces as long as we could find them. Memories. The only cherries I really like!
I use mango a lot. I get papaya if I have a lot (or several days) of reservations coming in because I can get the big papaya or get the little ones for the same price so I get the big ones. The mango is enjoyed. What gets left behind here is mostly the cantaloupe.
The hard part for me is getting a good mango. They look great but are all brown inside so into the composter. I do not give up though - I keep buying them.
Adding - my produce store had yeloow watermelon and marked it as yellow. Very good.

yellowflesh.jpg

AS i READ THIS i AM AMAZED BEYOND AMAZMENT. opps sorry caps.!!!
Any ways .. I am shocked that guess won't eat anything different.
We find people eat every thing. I serve a different breakfast to most people around this area. My food is not topic breakfast. Yet they eat it???
Wonder if it is because it is an one on one. Where we deliver their breakfast to them every morning in their space. We delivery 3 coarses. If some one does leave a bit behind it is because they are full. Some even ask if they can put this in the fridge and have it later.

It's mango season! For us, the best ones ever are not the ones found in the stores. It's the ones we pick up on the sidewalk, side of the street, and in friends' back yards. A couple of weeks ago, we were picking up three grocery bags full a day from a friend's backyard. They ripen ON the tree and then fall. What the tree beasts on get, we get. And they are delicious. Mango-red onion salsa is excellent with a pork tenderloin with a little blackberry sauce and coconut rice.
What also caught my eye on that website originally posted was all the avacado recipes. That's another item I pick up on the sidewalks and other places.
We eat all kinds of off the beaten path stuff here. Sautee some baby kale with some onions, garlic and olive oil...plop an egg on top and swirl it around a little bit, then a slice of munster cheese to melt, and you've got breakfast that's not so ordinary.
I wonder if it's because in Miami, where "you ain't in America no more", tourist tend to go out on a limb and try the non-traditional menu items. Chorizo is a staple here.
It's not unusual to walk down the dock, or go to a remote beach on an island and find the Cubans with their "la caja chinas" (a Cuban outdoor oven/fire pit) set up with a pig or goat roasting.
Sorry....the thought of all that good food has taken me off topic.

yellowflesh.jpg

AS i READ THIS i AM AMAZED BEYOND AMAZMENT. opps sorry caps.!!!
Any ways .. I am shocked that guess won't eat anything different.
We find people eat every thing. I serve a different breakfast to most people around this area. My food is not topic breakfast. Yet they eat it???
Wonder if it is because it is an one on one. Where we deliver their breakfast to them every morning in their space. We delivery 3 coarses. If some one does leave a bit behind it is because they are full. Some even ask if they can put this in the fridge and have it later.
physalis.jpg

I get it all the time. Physallis (aka Cape gooseberries). We put them at the top of things, with the shell twisted, so they won't eat the shell. And dang if there are some people who take it off and toss it to the side and won't even try it. Even if I tell them what it is.
Among the other things that they won't try... fiddleheads and garlic scape.
158386946_f96fd23eed.jpg

And I'm not talking little children here, I'm talking full grown adults. Some of whom will insist on knowing what's in a dish before they will put it into their mouths. Not because of allergies, but because they won't try anything new.

Yes!! Everything looked yummy on that site.
tounge_smile.gif
That strawberry looked good and they're plentiful now.
Most of our guests seemed to be a little adventuresome - except for veggies in frittatas or any baked egg dish at breakfast, so I ditched that idea pretty quickly.
Just saw a yummy recipe in a magazine for a breakfast panini with arugula, goat cheese, and roasted red peppers. Looked dee-lish!
Has anyone served breakfast paninis to their guests??

It's mango season! For us, the best ones ever are not the ones found in the stores. It's the ones we pick up on the sidewalk, side of the street, and in friends' back yards. A couple of weeks ago, we were picking up three grocery bags full a day from a friend's backyard. They ripen ON the tree and then fall. What the tree beasts on get, we get. And they are delicious. Mango-red onion salsa is excellent with a pork tenderloin with a little blackberry sauce and coconut rice.
What also caught my eye on that website originally posted was all the avacado recipes. That's another item I pick up on the sidewalks and other places.
We eat all kinds of off the beaten path stuff here. Sautee some baby kale with some onions, garlic and olive oil...plop an egg on top and swirl it around a little bit, then a slice of munster cheese to melt, and you've got breakfast that's not so ordinary.
I wonder if it's because in Miami, where "you ain't in America no more", tourist tend to go out on a limb and try the non-traditional menu items. Chorizo is a staple here.
It's not unusual to walk down the dock, or go to a remote beach on an island and find the Cubans with their "la caja chinas" (a Cuban outdoor oven/fire pit) set up with a pig or goat roasting.
Sorry....the thought of all that good food has taken me off topic..
My fraternal grandmother was a transplanted Virginian who lived in Miami. I have lots of memories of mangoes and avocado right from the trees in her yard.
regular_smile.gif
I grew up on Cuban food...

[COLOR= navy]Samster, I don't know whether to thank you for sharing that website or clobber you over the head with a big wooden club![/COLOR][COLOR= navy] [/COLOR][COLOR= navy]I can spend hours and hours just pouring over all of Kevin's culinary delights, and I'm not getting my chores done because of that.[/COLOR][COLOR= navy] [/COLOR][COLOR= navy]There are so many recipes I want to try that I don't know where to start.[/COLOR][COLOR= navy] He is very creative. [/COLOR][COLOR= navy]Well, I'm going to go with "Thanks for sharing!"[/COLOR][COLOR= navy] [/COLOR]

yellowflesh.jpg

peppers.jpg

Here's my contribution for unusual colored bell peppers.

yellowflesh.jpg

peppers.jpg

An eggplant pretending to be a pepper. Like a duck pretending to be a chicken.

yellowflesh.jpg

peppers.jpg

An eggplant pretending to be a pepper. Like a duck pretending to be a chicken.
But if used in cooking, the purple becomes green. I was very disappointed as I bought them to use for "color" in the dish I was cooking. They were too pricey for that!! Great for extra color in a salad though.

[COLOR= navy]Samster, I don't know whether to thank you for sharing that website or clobber you over the head with a big wooden club![/COLOR][COLOR= navy] [/COLOR][COLOR= navy]I can spend hours and hours just pouring over all of Kevin's culinary delights, and I'm not getting my chores done because of that.[/COLOR][COLOR= navy] [/COLOR][COLOR= navy]There are so many recipes I want to try that I don't know where to start.[/COLOR][COLOR= navy] He is very creative. [/COLOR][COLOR= navy]Well, I'm going to go with "Thanks for sharing!"[/COLOR][COLOR= navy] [/COLOR]
hahahaha....You're welcome, I guess....
I hear you...
wink_smile.gif

Back