Zip code discount?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
The iloveinns email that just came out states one inn is doing a 'zip code' discount. If you are in their zip code you get some sort of discount. I couldn't find anything about it on iloveinns or their own website. It sounds like a neat 'local' marketing plan. I guess they only send it out to their email list.
Zip Code Innsider Offers Build Community Fans
We received this newsletter item we thought was a great way to celebrate with the community, "Highland Haven Creekside Inn is showing its appreciation to local residents of Evergreen, Colorado, during its 30th anniversary by offering a Friday Night Special to anyone with an 80439 Zip Code." Great for those local anniversaries and parents who don't want to be far away from their babies and sitters.

That limits you as even one burb over is a diff zip code. How about Area code? For some that encompasses a larger area (not all, I realize that)

I also noted they have credit card sized review cards they are sending out. Nice advertising for iloveinns for US to give the review card with their name on it to every single guest.
excerpt from the email: To make it the most useful to innkeepers we have included four places for your guests to add their comments--Trip Advisor, BnBFinder.com, BedandBreakfast.com and iLoveInns.com. These elegant and colorful cards are business card size so that guests can add to their purse or wallet and keep for when they are online.

That limits you as even one burb over is a diff zip code. How about Area code? For some that encompasses a larger area (not all, I realize that).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
That limits you as even one burb over is a diff zip code. How about Area code? For some that encompasses a larger area (not all, I realize that)
Ha, ha. Area code? Around here that's the entire state! Not a bad idea, but I got grief for 'in state' discounts last year.
Maybe this town's zip covers a large number of people.

Some of our zip codes don't even have 500 households if you include the RRs.

That limits you as even one burb over is a diff zip code. How about Area code? For some that encompasses a larger area (not all, I realize that).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Ha, ha. Area code? Around here that's the entire state! Not a bad idea, but I got grief for 'in state' discounts last year.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
It is? See that is why I had the disclaimer on my comment. When I lived in Gig Harbor WA 10 miles away from home (work) but over an hour commute in traffic itwas long distance in-state, it was cheaper to call CA then work! Tacoma had it's own area code, Seattle had its own area code - again calling DH at work long distance, and cell phones didn't work where we lived on the Peninsula.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
It is? See that is why I had the disclaimer on my comment. When I lived in Gig Harbor WA 10 miles away from home (work) but over an hour commute in traffic itwas long distance in-state, it was cheaper to call CA then work! Tacoma had it's own area code, Seattle had its own area code - again calling DH at work long distance, and cell phones didn't work where we lived on the Peninsula.
As far as I know, NH has one area code, as does VT. I would imagine WY does as well. Possibly some other low population states as well.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
As far as I know, NH has one area code, as does VT. I would imagine WY does as well. Possibly some other low population states as well.
WV is just getting a second one now.

That would be a total waste of time for me - I have only had one room that was in a zip code within 20 miles of here. Most of our guests are from waaaaaaaaay out of State.

There have been promotions like this in the past with amusement parks and other entertainment venues. The main issue with any promotion is getting the word out...local promotions are costly and most do not pay off.
I mentioned on a previous thread about the only local promotion that worked...sending out refrigerator magnets with a discount code. We sent these out to 2 neighboring subdivisions 5 years ago and we are to this day getting reservations from them. We are in final negotiations with our printer on a larger order for a larger distribution in our area. We plan to send out more later this spring to select neighborhoods (those meeting certain spec.s). This will be in conjunction with our 10th aniversary press release and one local paper has already stated they will do a nice article.
Once this is completed, I will post more.

That would be a total waste of time for me - I have only had one room that was in a zip code within 20 miles of here. Most of our guests are from waaaaaaaaay out of State..
Samster said:
That would be a total waste of time for me - I have only had one room that was in a zip code within 20 miles of here. Most of our guests are from waaaaaaaaay out of State.
I thought the same way early on, but as time went on I found that some people will 'get away without getting away'. It is the fact that many do not have the time to get out of town (or go very far) due to work or kids schedules, but they need time to themselves without looking at the stack of dishes in the sink or the shrubs that need to be trimmed. I have had guests that live as close as 1 mile away stay for the weekend. In fact, I have a couple coming this weekend that lives about 5 miles from here. She owns a Tea Room which keeps her busy and they need to be local to attend their daugher's school play. yet they need time to be together - alone for their 25th Anniversary. When she came over to book, she said I know this sounds silly but....
I would not bank on this being the bulk of your business but it can be an added bonus, as these people will then be your local publicity which helps a bunch!

That would be a total waste of time for me - I have only had one room that was in a zip code within 20 miles of here. Most of our guests are from waaaaaaaaay out of State..
Samster said:
After your official one year anniversary now you can join the "marketing local is a waste of time and resources club" aye. You can chase the wind to get a room or two but overall it is not worth the time. Locals know you are there, it is internet all the way! For which I am thankful.

Samster said:
I thought the same way early on, but as time went on I found that some people will 'get away without getting away'. It is the fact that many do not have the time to get out of town (or go very far) due to work or kids schedules, but they need time to themselves without looking at the stack of dishes in the sink or the shrubs that need to be trimmed. I have had guests that live as close as 1 mile away stay for the weekend. In fact, I have a couple coming this weekend that lives about 5 miles from here. She owns a Tea Room which keeps her busy and they need to be local to attend their daugher's school play. yet they need time to be together - alone for their 25th Anniversary. When she came over to book, she said I know this sounds silly but....
I would not bank on this being the bulk of your business but it can be an added bonus, as these people will then be your local publicity which helps a bunch!
As JBJ has said in a post following, I have chased the local business which is basically a waste of time and resources. Local people don't realize our value - they are looking for something much cheaper than our starting price of $165/night. I've tried packaging with our large arts venues and that didn't work because people just head home. Now, I do still try to catch some folks from a neighboring State that will come here to our "bigger City" and that is at least an hour away. We just had a young couple here for a getaway that live about 45 minutes away and they loved everything. Our major market is not the getaway business, it's not even in the top 3. We have a large military installation and families/people visiting for events, ceremonies, returns from overseas are now making up the bulk of our business. Just this past weekend we had folks from WA, CA, CT (2 rooms), and FL. All great people who really traveled around and saw our sites/sights and the treasures that we have! We have a new National museum that is just partly opened and all exhibits will be open in June. In a year of business, the locals can be counted on one hand. I need to put my resources toward the other folks that are filling the rooms and paying the bills. :)

Samster said:
After your official one year anniversary now you can join the "marketing local is a waste of time and resources club" aye. You can chase the wind to get a room or two but overall it is not worth the time. Locals know you are there, it is internet all the way! For which I am thankful.
Yep, you hit the nail on the head! The website, directory listings, TA and other reviews are what are bringing them in. :) Most of the locals are like, "What's a bed and breakfast?" haha!

There have been promotions like this in the past with amusement parks and other entertainment venues. The main issue with any promotion is getting the word out...local promotions are costly and most do not pay off.
I mentioned on a previous thread about the only local promotion that worked...sending out refrigerator magnets with a discount code. We sent these out to 2 neighboring subdivisions 5 years ago and we are to this day getting reservations from them. We are in final negotiations with our printer on a larger order for a larger distribution in our area. We plan to send out more later this spring to select neighborhoods (those meeting certain spec.s). This will be in conjunction with our 10th aniversary press release and one local paper has already stated they will do a nice article.
Once this is completed, I will post more..
Yes, the key here for the locals is "discount"! Here, they are looking for something very cheap - like $100/night. That's lower than my corporate rate.

Samster said:
Actually they may NOT know you are there. I live in a city with a pop of about 2500 (over 2000 is a city), have been here as a B & B 13 years in July, have been written up in local papers many, many times and I STILL hear - "I didn't know we had a B & B in ...."
Last year the Blueprint Community Team put out a newspaper supplement about our city and my B & B was above the fold, front page of section 2. That produced 3 room nights ans a dinner from locals (one dinner and room night was a birthday for his wife).
What I tell locals is "if the phone rings, it is NOT for you."

Samster said:
Actually they may NOT know you are there. I live in a city with a pop of about 2500 (over 2000 is a city), have been here as a B & B 13 years in July, have been written up in local papers many, many times and I STILL hear - "I didn't know we had a B & B in ...."
Last year the Blueprint Community Team put out a newspaper supplement about our city and my B & B was above the fold, front page of section 2. That produced 3 room nights ans a dinner from locals (one dinner and room night was a birthday for his wife).
gillumhouse said:
K you are proving my point. Ignorance is what I am saying about locals typically. If they are B&B people at all or would refer you THEY KNOW YOU ARE THERE. Otherwise forgetabout them. I mean do what you do, when you are involved in a community everyone in the know knows who you are and where you are! If not, get involved!
Contact the local photogs and florists for recommendations for wedding nights. Word of mouth is the best bet and of course having a sign out front that locals drive past helps. But we have a sign out front and back and if I am at the bank or store they say to me "Oh is that still a bed and breakfast? I thought it closed" NO we are open as a B&B 17 years now. We get calls for donations twice a day every day from locals, they ALL know we are here and open.
If I get a call locally and I offer them a HUGE discount and they complain we are too expensive and go to the flea bag hotel which charges more - but they can pack 4 to a room!

As someone just reminded me PUT A MAGNET ON YOUR CAR AND EVERYONE WILL KNOW YOU HAVE A B&B IN TOWN! VISTA Print has them for a great price.

Samster said:
Trust me...they KNOW we are here. The entire block is made up of B&Bs and our Historic District is quite prominent in this City. We are not just sitting out somewhere on our own or stuck in the middle of a bunch of historic homes.

Back