Do you publish your menu?

25 replies [Last post]
TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

I keep thinking that putting the menu on the website would be a good way to manage expectations.  But does it then add pressure to us if, for some reason, the menu changes, or we run out of an ingredient or some other change?

Do you publish your menu?  Do you call it a samply menu?

Second question - do you have a special menu on Sundays?

And if so, do you advertise that fact?

__________________

TBH

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

We simply state that breakfast changes daily and is always chef's choice and here is a sampling of things we have served.

Nothing special on Sunday, in fact, we try to use what's seasonal, so even though I have at least 14 different breakfasts, it's closer to 25 or so, since some aren't made during certain seasons, because of lack of produce or products.

For example, just after Christmas is when we get pannetone off-price and we use it for FT. Never available any other time of year.

Nothing special on Sunday. Every day is special. Once a year we break out a bottle of bubbly, but it's also our most expensive day, we double our daily price.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

Sugar Bear wrote:

We simply state that breakfast changes daily and is always chef's choice and here is a sampling of things we have served.

Nothing special on Sunday, in fact, we try to use what's seasonal, so even though I have at least 14 different breakfasts, it's closer to 25 or so, since some aren't made during certain seasons, because of lack of produce or products.

For example, just after Christmas is when we get pannetone off-price and we use it for FT. Never available any other time of year.

Nothing special on Sunday. Every day is special. Once a year we break out a bottle of bubbly, but it's also our most expensive day, we double our daily price.

 

If we doubled our price on "champagne day" we would be accused of illegally selling alcohol.   We do surprise people with champagne if called for - honeymoon, New Year's Eve.   But it has to be truly no charge.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

TheBeachHouse wrote:

If we doubled our price on "champagne day" we would be accused of illegally selling alcohol.   We do surprise people with champagne if called for - honeymoon, New Year's Eve.   But it has to be truly no charge.

It's a very special weekend in the calendar. The guest pay about double the normal rate for three to four days of that weekend. And we never tell them about the champagne, it's our gift to them on the final day. It's not per guest, it's part of breakfast, if they so wish.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

TheBeachHouse wrote:

If we doubled our price on "champagne day" we would be accused of illegally selling alcohol.   We do surprise people with champagne if called for - honeymoon, New Year's Eve.   But it has to be truly no charge.

Our first year here we gave guests a split if it was a special day. Then we found out we were not allowed to do that. It was sad because the guests really liked the gift.

All that to say make sure your state allows you to GIVE the alcohol away. Ours says that if the guest paid for the room, they paid for the alcohol and I'm selling booze without a license. Never mess with ATF.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

TheBeachHouse wrote:

If we doubled our price on "champagne day" we would be accused of illegally selling alcohol.   We do surprise people with champagne if called for - honeymoon, New Year's Eve.   But it has to be truly no charge.

Our first year here we gave guests a split if it was a special day. Then we found out we were not allowed to do that. It was sad because the guests really liked the gift.

All that to say make sure your state allows you to GIVE the alcohol away. Ours says that if the guest paid for the room, they paid for the alcohol and I'm selling booze without a license. Never mess with ATF.

ABC here, they will run you right over the coals, if they WANT TO.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

TheBeachHouse wrote:

If we doubled our price on "champagne day" we would be accused of illegally selling alcohol.   We do surprise people with champagne if called for - honeymoon, New Year's Eve.   But it has to be truly no charge.

The one time I did that, literally the one and only time...it had a bad repercussion. I don't even like to think about it. Now I am mad. 

BYO is my thang for here on out...

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

Joey Bloggs wrote:

TheBeachHouse wrote:

If we doubled our price on "champagne day" we would be accused of illegally selling alcohol.   We do surprise people with champagne if called for - honeymoon, New Year's Eve.   But it has to be truly no charge.

The one time I did that, literally the one and only time...it had a bad repercussion. I don't even like to think about it. Now I am mad. 

BYO is my thang for here on out...

 

Oh, c'mon.  you brought it up, now you have to share.  what went wrong?

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I ONLY give Sparkling Cider because:

#1 - it would considered as being factored in the cost of room so sold

#2 - I have no idea who is or is not on "the wagon" and do not wish to embarrass anyone

I used to give splits and goblets to all guests - then the glass company went out of business due to high gas prices and the goblet were no longer easily available nor inexpensive (I bought from the outlet room). Guests liked it, I liked giving WV glassware. I had one couple that got all defensive when she saw the splits - we don't drink - until I explained it was cider. They were preachers. Bring you own - I will loan wine glasses.

Flower's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/19/2011

Ditto. Our breakfast changes every day 7 days a week. For the most part it is chef choice.

__________________

Flower

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I think 'menu' is your problem. A simple: We offer a variety of breakfast items, such as the following... Offerings change seasonally or as different items are available. This is only a sample.

You don't want the guests we had here as a group who assumed EVERYTHING on our breakfast page was what they were getting everyday. Yes, they thought there would be quiche, scrambled eggs, omelets, pancakes, french toast, fruits, breads, etc everyday. For 20 people.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I don't post a menu of what will be served on a specific day but I do describe a sample savoury and sample sweet breakfast on my website. I want prospective guests to have an inkling how much value the breakfast adds vs a hotel stay.

To answer your second question, we don't do anything different for Sundays but if you do, it's definitely worth mentioning on your website.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Wait, wasn't this thread about posting the menu for guests at the inn, not ON the website? Am i losing my mind? 

DON'T ANSWER THAT! YES YOU! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Kay Nein's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/13/2012

Telling them in advance could put the thought in their head overnight and they wake up deciding they are not in the mood for that particular dish.  Otherwise, just put it in front of them and they're more likely to eat it. 

On our website, I have pictures of our most frequently served menu items and a list of our usual dishes.  The guest usually ends up with one of these as we rotate through our regular menus.  Usually don't know until morning of or as my head hits the pillow night before. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

K9 wrote:

  Usually don't know until morning of or as my head hits the pillow night before. 

Have you had the guest who calls 3 months in advance and wants to know exactly what you will be serving on every day of their stay? When I say, 'It's really up to the cook the day before and what he finds at the market,' they are STUNNED that this is not all planned out months in advance!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

K9 wrote:

Telling them in advance could put the thought in their head overnight and they wake up deciding they are not in the mood for that particular dish.  Otherwise, just put it in front of them and they're more likely to eat it. 

YES! We have found since we stopped posting the menu for the morning that fewer people 'suddenly' can't eat that. If you CAN eat it at 4 PM when you check in, why can't you eat it at 8 AM when it's served? Because you've had time to think it over.

However, I am still peeved about guests who say NOTHING and just push the food around on their plates.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

What I serve depends on #1 - diet restrictions given (if any) #2 - what is in-house (supplied)  #3 - my schedule  #4 - what I feel like fixing  #5 - what time do they want breakfast

I rarely say what I am making in the morning unless I know that with my schedule the next day or what is in-house this is what will be served.

Offline
Joined:
03/11/2009

No published menu here. Guest order the night they arrive for the morning b'fast  and every eve after. Given a choice of about 5 or so options and time as its "room service style" breakfast here.

__________________

Mary in Virginia

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

We are a bit different, we may have to roll with the punches. In other words, change up the whole menu at the last minute...people show up even though asked many times about dietary restrictions and then throw a spanner into the mix. No gluten, no pork, no cheese, whatever...

It would be nice to have it up for guests, or if you wanted to do a turn down and mention breakfast is an over the top adjective-laden way...  But knowing people, they would knock on your door and say "We can't eat eggs" You mean COOKED IN SOMETHING or EGGY as in scrambled? and so it begins...and never ends. People are fickle.

EDITED TO ADD:

Yes! SHARE IT ON YOUR WEBSITE, WITH PHOTOS. THE MORE THE MERRIER! THAT MAY GIVE YOU THE LEG UP OVER ANY OTHER HOTEL/B&B IN THE AREA! Then blog it, FB'it, Tweet it, etc...

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

Joey Bloggs wrote:

We are a bit different, we may have to roll with the punches. In other words, change up the whole menu at the last minute...people show up even though asked many times about dietary restrictions and then throw a spanner into the mix. No gluten, no pork, no cheese, whatever...

It would be nice to have it up for guests, or if you wanted to do a turn down and mention breakfast is an over the top adjective-laden way...  But knowing people, they would knock on your door and say "We can't eat eggs" You mean COOKED IN SOMETHING or EGGY as in scrambled? and so it begins...and never ends. People are fickle.

EDITED TO ADD:

Yes! SHARE IT ON YOUR WEBSITE, WITH PHOTOS. THE MORE THE MERRIER! THAT MAY GIVE YOU THE LEG UP OVER ANY OTHER HOTEL/B&B IN THE AREA! Then blog it, FB'it, Tweet it, etc...

 

LOL you crack me up.   Yes, I'm thinking in terms of:  "Everyday, we offer a variety of fresh baked muffins and breads,  including Anadama Bread; a variety of cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, juice, coffee and tea everyday with weekend specials such as waffle bar, parfait bar and oatmeal bar. "

 

We have  picture on our website.  I will get a better one as the season gets busier.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

hmmm...if I'm paying the same rate midweek, I'd want the waffle bar also!

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Why bother to publish a menu unless it is a set thing and you will never change it. Otherwise don't waste your time. You are not a restaurant.

Most breakfasts we refer to as COOKS CHOICE, so guests always knew a day in advance what we were serving for breakfast as we posted it in our guest lounge. If they had a problem with something they were told to let us know.

Now if you have a BREAKFAST page on your website, you might just list some things you have served in the past as a sample. Or if as you say you ALWAYS have the same special breakfast on a Sunday, you could post that. 

But I suspect you will hear something from a potential guest such as "I can't eat that!' Sad

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

EmptyNest wrote:

Why bother to publish a menu unless it is a set thing and you will never change it. Otherwise don't waste your time. You are not a restaurant.

Most breakfasts we refer to as COOKS CHOICE, so guests always knew a day in advance what we were serving for breakfast as we posted it in our guest lounge. If they had a problem with something they were told to let us know.

and I don't even want to know.

I am a person who cannot eat certain foods and I would let them know in advance, and if not, then suck it up. I won't try to change the whole breakfast for the whole place. I would eat whatever ELSE was on my plate and not THAT item.

My own mother knows of my reaction to THAT food and still puts it in things "Oh well I thought..." No Mom, not any, not ever. heart

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

My own mother knows of my reaction to THAT food and still puts it in things "Oh well I thought..." No Mom, not any, not ever. heart

My mom - STILL???

Yes, mom, I STILL don't eat that.

Ice
Offline
Joined:
02/22/2010

Too many factors to have a published menu.  One is what do I feel like cooking!  Sometimes I even change my mind in the morning!  Why bother yourself?  As soon as you do it you'll get a gluten free, vegan, and anything else they may throw at you.

__________________

"Do not put off until tomorrow what can be put off till day-after-tomorrow just as well." Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

I have a few things on my website, along with various pictures, but not a menu of what we serve daily.  I think that's too strict for YOU.  I often times cook whatever I find on sale, especially if it's a egg dish that has veggies.  I think to give people an idea of what they can expect is good, but to try and tell them exactly what you serve is asking for trouble.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.