What's in a name?

27 replies [Last post]
jmj
Offline
Joined:
03/24/2014

What did you consider when naming your business?

The restaurant has a good, strong, established, logical name for a restaurant. It would see the hotel side had "no name". I suppose we could use the restaurant name ...hotel, but its just not that appealing to me/us. So, thoughts or ideas?  I wish I could give you more info on the area, but the ink still isn't on the paper. But it is within eyesight of the beach and in Mexico.

jmj
Offline
Joined:
03/24/2014

THANK YOU for all of your ideas and suggestions. We haven't come to a conclusion on the name yet but will use these comments to vet it.  And I also posted a few questions on a forum for the target area to give me a few more ideas that I might not have been able to think of since I am not there yet. 

 

If possible, I would like to throw out a few ideas next week, (when the contract ink has dried). 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Yeah, Fuddruckers. Tried to google it and the other one came up first for some reason!!

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

Yeah, Fuddruckers. Tried to google it and the other one came up first for some reason!!

I thought I was losing my mind, I thought huh Did they change the name? There is one on Hilton Head Island SC and plenty on the west coast.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Hillbilly's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/22/2011

If its all connected I think it would be weird to have a different name for the lodging. It does ok with large hotels to have a different name for a restaurant but Im not sure on small places. If your going to be serving your overnight guests in the restaurant for breakfast than I would want it all to kinda flow together. Thats just my opinion. Maybe you could start from scratch and rename all of it. Kinda a New Launch so to speak!

__________________

Hillbilly

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

It depends ie if we ever buy next door it will be Oak Wood lodge - and if we did a restaurant it will be the Acorn ie from the oak the acorn came.

However would strongly emphasize easy to say and spell - we have a Very nice coffee shop but it has a scandinavian name and no one can say or spell it. He has just started a restaurant in the evenings and that's called Nord - much easier.

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Camb wrote:

However would strongly emphasize easy to say and spell...

Exceptions would be a couple of places that became famous in large part BECAUSE they had funny names: Orville Redenbacher popcorn and Fudpucker's restaurant chain.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

Joey Camb wrote:

However would strongly emphasize easy to say and spell...

Exceptions would be a couple of places that became famous in large part BECAUSE they had funny names: Orville Redenbacher popcorn and Fudpucker's restaurant chain.

you mean fuddruckers!  ha maybe they compete.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

I'm so glad that you didn't go with fudge...

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

My place's name is, for most people, unpronounceable and unspellable. The name of my town is likewise long and hard to spell. So for my URL I selected something most people could remember and spell correctly if they typed it in manually.

In other words, the URL does not have to be the inn name. It can be something easier to remember and enter.

happykeeper's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/11/2008

Here is something different that I think is worth thinking about.

We chose our name because it had a series of meanings to us. It is our business, our baby, and we felt it should have a name that meant something to us. That name is a big part of our brand, even though few folks from the mainland know how to pronounce it. It has been invaluable for the long term soul of who we are. We have songs written about us because of our name. Do you think the FOUR SEASONS just came up with a name because of what letter it started with? IT is a brand and look what they did with it. It is synonymous with he highest quality you can get.  Oops- soap box alert

Having said all that- our website does not use our name- it is designed to be SEO friendly.

__________________

Take a leap.... and a net will appear

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I disagree with the four seasons. This is a one off establishment, small family owned. Or maybe I don't know my history, perhaps four seasons began this way too?

Whatever the name it needs to fit easily onto things. it needs to be something you don't sicken of, it needs to be something people pronounce and remember, or else a shortened version of it. And not a shorted version that ends up being weird.

I love that you have songs written about your name Happy, that is awesome. One place I stayed in Costa Rica (using the spanish here for the orig post) Sueno Del Mar, was a name that was "dreamy" to me and I still remember it and day dream about it...

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

That's excellent advice to use an seo friendly url for the website rather than the actual inn name, which ends up showing up well anyway after awhile.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

plus not too long as you have to put it on things - ie keyrings etc 

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

There are four B&Bs on our street.   3 of them, the name starts with "Sea."  

__________________

TBH

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Our original name came from a feature of the house. The current (second B&B)'s name is a variation on that name but reflects the size and character of the house. Many people have told us that the name is one of their decisions to choose this place.

Sit down one day and look around at the neighbourhood, the characters, the make-up or even construction of the house and give us a general idea what was words come to mind. Look up on the net to see what Google Autocomplete gives you when you pull up the name of your city. Write something like "Best thing to see in ____ is" and see what autocomplete gives you. You may be surprised. 

For example, if you write "Rocky Mount NC is" Google autocompletes with "what county" and "fair". So obviously that's what people look up. 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Jon Sable wrote:

Our original name came from a feature of the house. The current (second B&B)'s name is a variation on that name but reflects the size and character of the house. Many people have told us that the name is one of their decisions to choose this place.

Sit down one day and look around at the neighbourhood, the characters, the make-up or even construction of the house and give us a general idea what was words come to mind. Look up on the net to see what Google Autocomplete gives you when you pull up the name of your city. Write something like "Best thing to see in ____ is" and see what autocomplete gives you. You may be surprised. 

For example, if you write "Rocky Mount NC is" Google autocompletes with "what county" and "fair". So obviously that's what people look up. 

and be careful if there is one or more with the same name. as mentioned above, we have had people go to NC and not VA. We also have people calling from Texas from another inn with the same name, that is why I have the state name on everything all the time. 

Changing the name is a big decision, and it can be a great one! In Mexico I am sure there are plenty of "El" whatevers, so consider leaving the out of the name and getting ahead alpha-numerically. Smiling

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

The other Rocky Mount didn't show an autocomplete Smiling

Offline
Joined:
03/11/2009

Stay high in the alphabet like a name starting with  A or B or C.  Lots of sites ( JMU, Bridgewater College, etc. ) list lodging on there site this way.

__________________

Mary in Virginia

 

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

We don't like the name of our place, but it has been an inn for over 100 years.   Not changing it.  But we did change the names of the rooms.   They had ship names like 'Wheel House' and 'First Mate's Quarters.'   We aren't ship people.  We are beach people.  We named them after the beaches in town.

What kind of people do you want?   What do people google to find you?

Name of Beach Inn.  Hotel at Name of Beach.

jmj
Offline
Joined:
03/24/2014

Property has 1 bed room apartments    (multiple) with bath, kitchen, living, dining room, and a laundry! area. (when we sign, I will share the history of the place).

Since these are apartments, we are anticipating people who want to stay a week or longer (since getting there involves an international flight- there are locals, but currently most are foreigners).  There are also many snowbirds- so we would also appeal to them, apartment with some security/company/in town.  And they would be there from 1-5 months, depending.

As far as google searches, key words might be maya, beach, gulf coast Mexico, (name of town), flamingos, fishing, (name of closest big town, and then major city name) ruins, local ruin names, (all in Spanish and English). 

So this brings me to the "hotel" part. Inn? Guesthouse? Apartments? Lodging? Motel? Etc. 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

if apts and long term rental,i would not use inn for part of the name as that conjurs up certain ideas. somethign like Casa Name Rentals or lodging.  comes to me as more appropriate.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

It sounds guesthouse to me

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I've been changing the room names, too. Just a couple that made no sense or were hard to pronounce by everyone who called. And hard to understand when we said them on the phone.

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

We had a cottage that, when it was first built in 1949, was called the Halfway House, because it was located halfway up the hill between the Shore and the Lodge. The name was changed to the Hillside Cottage in the late 70's or early 80's when the original name had acquired a less-than-savory connotation in common parlance!

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I wanted to rename the place. But the reviews were good and it had been here 17 years already.

Consider how easy it is to say again and again on the phone. Does it translate well? Does it tell the guest what they might get? Does it conjure up happy feelings? Maybe it's just the name of the town or the area so it has built in seo.

Casa Playa (at the ABC restaurant)

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

most round where I am start with A as then you are at the top of the Alphabetical list - however we bought ours as a going concern - had been a bb since about 1970 with a good reputation we wern't going to mess with that, just when people ask where did it come from ? answer is no idea but there is a place with the same name in Surrey ie another county so I think the people came from there.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

There is a lot in a name. Ask GM about a car named Nova they tried to sell in Mexico where Nova means No Go. Say Schmidt House quickly for another example of how important a name is. The restaurant & B & B I referred to in another thread with the same name is Cafe C*****. The entire operation is Cafe C.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.