100% deposit?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I had an Elopement cancel 3 weeks before the event, I instituted a 25% non-refundable CHECK since that cannot be chargeback. I have a whole house coming in July the same weekend as an all school reunion (not part of that, their own small family reunion). I told the man, I cannot afford to be left high & dry so I made it a $500 check in addition to the cc# and said I would not punch in the numbers because I am not risking a chargeback. I got the check.

This is typical for remote locations -- we stayed in Jackson Hole one winter and it was 50% at time of booking and the balance was charged at 30 days out. I believe there are a couple places in Maine that do this as well since their season is so short they really can't be having last minute cancellations. I'd never go this route but hubby wants me to up cancellation fee to $35 and cancellation period to 21 days rather than 14..
The company that bought the place is based in Maine. Makes sense.
Am clueless? A hint?

This is typical for remote locations -- we stayed in Jackson Hole one winter and it was 50% at time of booking and the balance was charged at 30 days out. I believe there are a couple places in Maine that do this as well since their season is so short they really can't be having last minute cancellations. I'd never go this route but hubby wants me to up cancellation fee to $35 and cancellation period to 21 days rather than 14..
TheBeachHouse said:
Ah, 'company'. So maybe they have places in Maine where that is their standard policy.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Ah, 'company'. So maybe they have places in Maine where that is their standard policy.
That's what I was thinking. They are based in Portland. I'm glad they bought the place. If they hadn't, it probably would have been converted to condos. I don't want all the inns in town to disappear. I think we need each other.
Interesting. I know one of the higher-ups in that company... really nice guy (at least in the context in which I know him). And yes, all of their other properties are in Maine except for one in Vermont. Hopefully, Beachie, they will do well in your area!
edit to add: our own policy is 25% to confirm a reservation, non-refundable (unless we succeed in renting to someone else).
If it's the same company, they now have one in Mass. Grand opening is tomorrow!
TheBeachHouse said:
Are you going?
Duff2014 said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Are you going?
We (and all the innkeepers and shopkeepers in town) were invited to a "soft opening" this past week. We went to dinner there Wednesday night. My meal was excellent. DH's meal was awful. The atmosphere was confusing. They called it a Tavern, but it felt like a Grand Salon. Beautiful old building with high ceilings and ornate architectural details. But reclaimed wood tables and menus on wood boards.
The service was fantastic and they even gave us a tour of the rooms. Updated with a period flare. Small.

Am clueless? A hint?
Momma Smurf said:
Am clueless? A hint?
The Place is the Emerson Inn in Pigeon Cove, MA. Beautiful old resort inn and we are thrilled that they are restoring it.

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
That's what I was thinking. They are based in Portland. I'm glad they bought the place. If they hadn't, it probably would have been converted to condos. I don't want all the inns in town to disappear. I think we need each other.
Glad they were able to preserve it, despite the company aspect!

Back