4 stars for the noise

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha! Neighbors across from my bedroom window (which is the ONLY bedroom in the house that is on the street side) ... have a car that needs a new muffler or something. Vroom, vroom, clunk, clatter clatter clatter pop clatter clatter chugga chugga chugga down the street they go and then you hear them coming back a few minutes later. Repeat the process every 15 minutes or so for the next hour. Then again in the afternoon. Lots of kids being dropped off at various places. I'd love to call Car Talk and try to imitate the sound so they can tell me what it is. But since one of the hosts died it's all 'best of...' Very nice people without much money. Anyway, other than that it's mostly light traffic that I tune out..
seashanty said:
haha! Neighbors across from my bedroom window (which is the ONLY bedroom in the house that is on the street side) ... have a car that needs a new muffler or something. Vroom, vroom, clunk, clatter clatter clatter pop clatter clatter chugga chugga chugga down the street they go and then you hear them coming back a few minutes later. Repeat the process every 15 minutes or so for the next hour. Then again in the afternoon. Lots of kids being dropped off at various places. I'd love to call Car Talk and try to imitate the sound so they can tell me what it is. But since one of the hosts died it's all 'best of...' Very nice people without much money. Anyway, other than that it's mostly light traffic that I tune out.

This gave me a great laugh this morning! LOL!!! Thank you :)

Guess I'm just hard-headed, I might have to say " I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the cheerful sounds of guests enjoying their visit to the shore", as for the TV, I guess we all are used to large screens this day and age, but the B&B I visited didn't have TV's, disconnecting was part of the charm.
Not for your review, but for many of my own, I'd like to say to those guests "review me for who I am", if you wanted a high rise resort, well pay the price and stay there, don't stay with me because it is cheaper or you didn't plan ahead and I had the only room, and then review me as if I were the big resort, we're mom and pop, I'll never be the high rise, my goal is to be the best mom and pop you visit.

I'd have thought a 24" TV was perfectly adequate for a B&B room, as for the noise it's a rock and a hard place, ask someone to be quiet and they'll write you a bad review (I know from experience), don't ask them and someone else will complain in a review.
I'd just let it go if I were you. Email a few guests who've enjoyed their stay asking for reviews and in a couple of weeks this one will be on page 2 and no one will ever bother reading it again..
Highlands John said:
...as for the noise it's a rock and a hard place...
I'm loving the tiny new digital TV boxes the local cable company sent me for all my TVs. One thing I can do with them is set the maximum volume the TV remote can go to. I set them all to max out at just a little louder than what I'd consider ideal, and so far no complaints.

Guess I'm just hard-headed, I might have to say " I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the cheerful sounds of guests enjoying their visit to the shore", as for the TV, I guess we all are used to large screens this day and age, but the B&B I visited didn't have TV's, disconnecting was part of the charm.
Not for your review, but for many of my own, I'd like to say to those guests "review me for who I am", if you wanted a high rise resort, well pay the price and stay there, don't stay with me because it is cheaper or you didn't plan ahead and I had the only room, and then review me as if I were the big resort, we're mom and pop, I'll never be the high rise, my goal is to be the best mom and pop you visit..
We've been unfavorably compared with the posh city hotels with skyline views and a bar and a pool, etc.
And even tho you didn't pay here, like you did there, for parking, breakfast, WiFi, snacks, etc we were ranked lower.
So, yeah, you want posh, book a year in advance and not last minute!

I'd have thought a 24" TV was perfectly adequate for a B&B room, as for the noise it's a rock and a hard place, ask someone to be quiet and they'll write you a bad review (I know from experience), don't ask them and someone else will complain in a review.
I'd just let it go if I were you. Email a few guests who've enjoyed their stay asking for reviews and in a couple of weeks this one will be on page 2 and no one will ever bother reading it again..
Highlands John said:
I'm loving the tiny new digital TV boxes the local cable company sent me for all my TVs. One thing I can do with them is set the maximum volume the TV remote can go to. I set them all to max out at just a little louder than what I'd consider ideal, and so far no complaints.
Arks said:
Highlands John said:
Our new TVs have that option. We have them set so I can't hear them from the hall if the door to the room is closed.
Can't do anything about the guy next door and his mustang!

Highlands John said:
If those little digital TV boxes are anything like the ones from our cable company you want to be sure they don't get unplugged and have constant power. A few of our TV's were turned off by the room light switch and we soon found that every few weeks when the cable company updated the cable box it quit working since the power was switched off, usually on a weekend night when everything quit working, had to have a new circuit run for the TV's to solve the problem.

Just looked at his profile. He and his wife travel 6 months a year and post reviews on everything. Most of his reviews are 3 and 4 stars.
I think it will be like, "Thank you for the kind review. It was our pleasure to host you during your trip to our town. Your room tip is valuable. The Old Garden Beach Room is our only first floor room and is priced lower than those on the second floor for the reason you mention. Because of its location, it can be a little noisy and the view is limited.".
I would not put in anything about the negative comments. Instead, talk about what is so perfect about this room. Is it accessible for those who can not climb stairs? Is especially spacious and airy, with the option of opening the windows to catch the sea breeze or using the AC to create a more controlled environment? Sometimes I do mention that we price our accommodations based on several factors: amenities, level of privacy, spaciousness and view. That lets everyone know that they will have to pay a bit more for a more private room with a view.

Just looked at his profile. He and his wife travel 6 months a year and post reviews on everything. Most of his reviews are 3 and 4 stars.
I think it will be like, "Thank you for the kind review. It was our pleasure to host you during your trip to our town. Your room tip is valuable. The Old Garden Beach Room is our only first floor room and is priced lower than those on the second floor for the reason you mention. Because of its location, it can be a little noisy and the view is limited.".
I would not address it except to say thank you for your stay and review. Don't DON'T say anything about noise or view. No need.
I agree that no acknowledgement of the noise or TV is needed. Thank them for taking the time to review, and that's it. Most anyone reading his review will realize he's an idjit. I mean, really? Your window is OPEN!!!!! Of course you're going to hear the rest of the world!!!! GAWD!!!!!
The best part is, we live on the world's quietest street. 80% of our traffic is joggers and dog walkers. The rest are cars for residents and of course, the occasional landscape crew. Now THEY make noise.
TheBeachHouse said:
The best part is, we live on the world's quietest street. 80% of our traffic is joggers and dog walkers. The rest are cars for residents and of course, the occasional landscape crew. Now THEY make noise.
That is the problem, when it is so quiet one little pin dropping seems loud. I had windows open and noticed a neighbor starting up his Shelby Mustang at 2AM two days ago, then roared off, then came back. I couldn't help but lay there and manufacture all the sorts of no good reasons he had to be up to at that hour. Then the birds began chirping way before the dawn, it was all so noisy (for me). He was probably taking someone for a ride in it, but I was ready to call in the police and have the drug dogs sent in on assignment.
All this is a small town, quiet neighborhood. But it was loud while I was asleep without any other noises around.
Our local guy with the loud mustang leaves for work every night (it seems) at 11:30. And he's not the least quiet about driving thru the neighborhood.
Our area is closed to traffic mid-night to 6 am. The loudest thing we hear at 1 am is the local cop making his rounds to ensure that there is no one in the area that should not be here. And the birds, of course. They start up at 4:30 am.

I like the rebuttal with the choice of A/C or open air. Great point!

Noise comes in many forms. Had one to tell me that the crickets and frogs were very loud. Guess so city boy! And I bet he sleeps straight thru the ambulance or police sirens all night every night.
It is what it is.

Highlands John said:
A couple of our in room TVs have that facility too.

Highlands John said:
If those little digital TV boxes are anything like the ones from our cable company you want to be sure they don't get unplugged and have constant power. A few of our TV's were turned off by the room light switch and we soon found that every few weeks when the cable company updated the cable box it quit working since the power was switched off, usually on a weekend night when everything quit working, had to have a new circuit run for the TV's to solve the problem.
JimBoone said:
Same here. Guest turns off light switch… TVs took 20 minutes to 2 hours to reboot each time. Most people realized it was something we couldn't control (but not all) and happier had us tape the light switch on so they wouldn't turn it off again…. The boxes left the house last week….. Yah! TVs work fine with antennas getting 10 to 65 plus depending on room (Sports, news, etc included) and guests can flip light switches to their hearts' delight!

Highlands John said:
JimBoone said:
Same here. Guest turns off light switch… TVs took 20 minutes to 2 hours to reboot each time. Most people realized it was something we couldn't control (but not all) and happier had us tape the light switch on so they wouldn't turn it off again…. The boxes left the house last week….. Yah! TVs work fine with antennas getting 10 to 65 plus depending on room (Sports, news, etc included) and guests can flip light switches to their hearts' delight!
Time for the system to reboot would be enough, unfortunately ours required a call to the cable company to send an update and a lengthly wait, also required that I unbolt the TV cabinet from the wall to get to the silly little box and copy down the box number.

I sure hope you don't sweat over those idiotic people. We find most folks watch
on their tablets or iPads and they are SMALLER THAN YOUR T.V.
As for the noise, what would he have said if he had a loud snorer next door!!!
Just remember, you can't please all the people all the time. We just keep trying.

Highlands John said:
JimBoone said:
Time for the system to reboot would be enough, unfortunately ours required a call to the cable company to send an update and a lengthly wait, also required that I unbolt the TV cabinet from the wall to get to the silly little box and copy down the box number.
JimBoone said:
Right! I didn't go into all the details. Minus the unbolting.

Highlands John said:
JimBoone said:
JimBoone said:
Right! I didn't go into all the details. Minus the unbolting.
We plan a move to satellite TV, doubt they are perfect either, maybe just someone new to get upset with, but worth a try since cable seems uninterested in our needs, we don't have the ability to get over the air TV in our location; that would be a nice option.

Back