A Beautiful Virginia Bed and Breakfast is Yours for $150 and an Essay

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By my math, if the B&B is listed for $550,000, they'll need 3,667 entries to pay themselves off.

By my math, if the B&B is listed for $550,000, they'll need 3,667 entries to pay themselves off..
That sounds about right. It's gonna be all about the promotion. Tapping into the lottery mentality through the media. Making someone's dream come true. Here's hoping it gets picked up by a national news source. It needs to get some legs under it.

By my math, if the B&B is listed for $550,000, they'll need 3,667 entries to pay themselves off..
That sounds about right. It's gonna be all about the promotion. Tapping into the lottery mentality through the media. Making someone's dream come true. Here's hoping it gets picked up by a national news source. It needs to get some legs under it.
happykeeper said:
It's gonna be all about the promotion. Tapping into the lottery mentality...
It's being run by an exceptional promoter. If any of us could do it, JB can! She has an exceptional prize to offer. Not just the house, but also the business and outreach they've built.

happykeeper said:
It's gonna be all about the promotion. Tapping into the lottery mentality...
It's being run by an exceptional promoter. If any of us could do it, JB can! She has an exceptional prize to offer. Not just the house, but also the business and outreach they've built.
thumbs_up.gif

PhineasSwann said:
By my math, if the B&B is listed for $550,000, they'll need 3,667 entries to pay themselves off.
Another one that just did this raised over $900k with almost 7500 entries.

Just in case she checks in, the UK equivalent of us (only theirs is innkeepers only, no aspiring) has added it to their FB page and it has been shared.

Just in case she checks in, the UK equivalent of us (only theirs is innkeepers only, no aspiring) has added it to their FB page and it has been shared..
I popped it on - figure people know people and its no loss to get it out there
Plus have put out on twitter for Bedposts which is for anyone to look at and my own facebook and twitter - again you never know who knows someone who may be interested.

Just in case she checks in, the UK equivalent of us (only theirs is innkeepers only, no aspiring) has added it to their FB page and it has been shared..
I popped it on - figure people know people and its no loss to get it out there
Plus have put out on twitter for Bedposts which is for anyone to look at and my own facebook and twitter - again you never know who knows someone who may be interested.
That is why I have posted and shared it several times.

I shared it on our FB page. Unfortunately, I also sent the innkeeper a personal e-mail asking about it. However, it was before I saw this, so sorry for the intrusion. I didn't know.

Wishing you the very best JB!! I posted this on my page and it disappeared! I'll repost and keep reposting.
I've been thinking of doing the same thing since seeing the Main one do it. I'll pick up your (losers) hopefully and they'll try for mine?...
Best wishes!

I am sharing it often and my friends & family on FB are sharing it also. Hope it helps.

All the best JB. You are amazing at marketing your place. Best wishes.

I was wondering about the legality of this enterprise. There are games of chance, gambling, and contest rules; the essay is meaningless. This is little different than a charity raffle selling tickets to win a donated car, etc.
Charging $150 seems to run into gray to red areas that might be afoul of law at some level. But not really sure about the specifics.
For example, what happens if the owner decides no one wins and keeps the money? Essay not good enough or not enough entries?
Who is independently monitoring this?
If so, it could come down hard on the seller and become complex for the winner. As in prison, fines, winner moved in and then evicted due to seizure of property.
I see nothing in the linked article that gives any comfort. Federal, state, and municipal regulations can be strict in these matters.

I was wondering about the legality of this enterprise. There are games of chance, gambling, and contest rules; the essay is meaningless. This is little different than a charity raffle selling tickets to win a donated car, etc.
Charging $150 seems to run into gray to red areas that might be afoul of law at some level. But not really sure about the specifics.
For example, what happens if the owner decides no one wins and keeps the money? Essay not good enough or not enough entries?
If so, it could come down hard on the seller and become complex for the winner. As in prison, fines, winner moved in and then evicted due to seizure of property.
I see nothing in the linked article that gives any comfort. Federal, state, and municipal regulations can be strict in these matters..
it's been done before. and if I know the seller, it has been fully vetted.

I see nothing in the linked article that gives any comfort. Federal, state, and municipal regulations can be strict in these matters..
Undersea, this has been done before. There is also another property in another state doing the same right now.

There are details on the site that indicate that if they do not receive enough entries, the money will be returned (minus shipping costs) to each applicant.
You are correct that it may not be legal to do this in every state, or local. Research must be done to assure it is handled in a lawful manor.
Knowing this innkeeper, she crossed all her t's and dotted all her i's before this rolled out.

Undersea, this has been done before. There is also another property in another state doing the same right now.

There are details on the site that indicate that if they do not receive enough entries, the money will be returned (minus shipping costs) to each applicant.
You are correct that it may not be legal to do this in every state, or local. Research must be done to assure it is handled in a lawful manor.
Knowing this innkeeper, she crossed all her t's and dotted all her i's before this rolled out.
Thanks. I just read the linked PR, and did not go to the site.
I have seen things like this before, but I also have seen people get into trouble for not crossing and dotting.
I will say though, that I never participate in raffles. First, I do not have the closet space in case I win and second, the return on most is pretty bad (same as the state lotteries).

undersea said:
I see nothing in the linked article that gives any comfort. Federal, state, and municipal regulations can be strict in these matters.
Before even starting this, the seller vetted it every which way in their State - up to the highest legal officials in the State. None of us here - no one, no how - would help promote this in any way, shape, or form if we #1. did not know the honesty of the innkeeper selling and #2. Know that innkeeper checked EVERYTHING first to ensure it is totally legal in that State.

I am wondering tho about why they all say they have to run it as a B&B for a year after winning it?
Is it a tax thing for the owner of the home? Say, if the winner doesn't run it as a B&B then the owner can't say it was a business and thus have tax consequences??

I am wondering tho about why they all say they have to run it as a B&B for a year after winning it?
Is it a tax thing for the owner of the home? Say, if the winner doesn't run it as a B&B then the owner can't say it was a business and thus have tax consequences??.
Sunshine said:
I assumed it's just because they want the business they built to continue, in the same way Gillum has always said when she retires, she will insist that it remain a B&B because she wants her town to have one.

A great article here gives a little more insite of the contest.
I found it intersting of the list of other homes, businesses that also tried this method, but failed.
The article also gave a little more info about the Maine property that completed the essay contest earlier this year.

Back