A FB Tip

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, it just occurred to me that this gives an excellent, legitimate purpose for spending all that time on FB. You aren't wasting time. You're conducting business research!.
Arks said:
You know, it just occurred to me that this gives an excellent, legitimate purpose for spending all that time on FB. You aren't wasting time. You're conducting business research!
Ha! That's how I justify everything! Today we went out, took some pictures along the way then ate at a restaurant in the bigger town south of us. It's a business expense!
Breakfast Diva said:
Ha! That's how I justify everything! Today we went out, took some pictures along the way then ate at a restaurant in the bigger town south of us. It's a business expense!
I wish I could convince DH of this. I'm always out taking pictures and sampling the local restaurants and then writing about them. He will not write any of this off. Only if it is a 'sanctioned' event run by 'someone' or some organization.
That's just silly! Keep notes on the receipt what you talked about & if it was a new restaurant. We call it 'research' and I wouldn't do it more than once a month, but it's definitely a business expense!
We've even written off trips in the us as our annual meeting since we're a corporation.
Breakfast Diva said:
We've even written off trips in the us as our annual meeting since we're a corporation.
I keep asking when our annual meeting is going to be in some Caribbean island!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Oh boy, I hear ya! But that's where our accountant draws the line. Florida, Hawaii, sure.
I see that next year's PAII conference (if there's still a PAII as we know it now) is in New Orleans in the beginning of January. That easily could be a written off trip and then the extra days pre or post conference would be vaca and not a tax deduction, but the travel would be covered!

You know, it just occurred to me that this gives an excellent, legitimate purpose for spending all that time on FB. You aren't wasting time. You're conducting business research!.
Arks said:
You know, it just occurred to me that this gives an excellent, legitimate purpose for spending all that time on FB. You aren't wasting time. You're conducting business research!
Breakfast Diva said:
I wish I could convince DH of this. I'm always out taking pictures and sampling the local restaurants and then writing about them. He will not write any of this off. Only if it is a 'sanctioned' event run by 'someone' or some organization.
That's just silly! Keep notes on the receipt what you talked about & if it was a new restaurant. We call it 'research' and I wouldn't do it more than once a month, but it's definitely a business expense!
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Oh boy, I hear ya! But that's where our accountant draws the line. Florida, Hawaii, sure.
I see that next year's PAII conference (if there's still a PAII as we know it now) is in New Orleans in the beginning of January. That easily could be a written off trip and then the extra days pre or post conference would be vaca and not a tax deduction, but the travel would be covered!
US territory? VI? PR?

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
That is just plain crazy... If we talk B & B business at dinner with someone and we usually do..alot! They save their receipt as a business expense. We did the same thing when we were open.
EmptyNest said:
That is just plain crazy... If we talk B & B business at dinner with someone and we usually do..alot! They save their receipt as a business expense. We did the same thing when we were open.
We just had our annual B&B dinner. All we do is talk about where to get the best whatever, how to handle tough guests, etc. Will he write that off? Not a chance. It was not organized by an outside entity, it was organized by our local group.
So what..that most certainly should be a business expense more so than just going out to a restaurant to eat. I would MAKE HIM CLAIM IT!
I'm with Empty Nest on this one, for sure. I always discuss some business in any social gathering I attend - from a simple lunch to a dinner cruise to a Mardi Gras party - and it gets written off. It's marketing and networking - totally necessary in this business. My accountant says to ask myself this question when deciding if an expenditure is a write off - "Is it necessary?" Why yes, yes, it is!

Back