A lodging tax increase

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the total tax % a guest pays who stays with you?.
Sorry - must have hit twice. I am sick. Spent the last 2 days in bed and still feel like crap. Taxes in mail, Himself's meds picked up, sale eggs purchased - I am going back to bed. Guest arriving tomorrow.
I feel for you Gillum. We are days 6 and 7into it with fevers, chills and cough and just now feeling like we might be human. Take care.
You have my sympathy. I am so miserable I have not been able to go to the wakes of 2 men I should have shown respect to. I have a one-nighter coming in tomorrow (and I am NOT doing the Pancake breakfast).

Shinnston has NO "bed tax". When the Legislature authorized it, there was no lodging facility in City Limits so why pay to have the Ordinance drawn up (they never thought of a B & B opening). They also never thought I would last, so they did not enact it when I opened. They were about to, at MY urging several years later when a neighboring city destroyed the COUNTY CVB. Then the County Seat city opened a CVB - little boys peeing contest. I told the Council to stop the Ordinance because who were we going to give half to? And the guests are NOT knocking down my doors to save 6%.
We have an identity and brand - but we got it through grants. There are grants for that sort of thing, just not for brick & mortar projects. We got a grant for Shop Local partnering with WVU - the students did the promotion work. During the good weather months our shopkeepers have Girls Night Out on a Thursday once a month.
Each shopkeeper has a nibble food or dessert or a wine tasting and is open until 9 that night. We are in the process of having a stage built on the open space that is eventually going to be our Community center. Council passed it Monday night - BECAUSE it is not going to cost the City anything. Business - including me (I already wrote the check for $100)- is coming up with the $2500 he needs for the materials ans "slave labor" will build it (that is how things get done here). The person behind this is our "sound guy" for events here. The plan is to have Wind Down Wednesdays with someone performing every Wednesday - garage bands, up & coming band on tour (he knows them), etc. Our Community Development Director gets donations/sponsorships from the gas companies, the banks (not all are FHLB), and County Commission, and companies big & small to pay for our summer programs at the Park - Improv, singers, Shakespeare. We also have an Arts & Crafts Festival, Arts Walk, Frontier Days (all downtown), Citywide Yard Sale, and of course, the Shinnston Community Band Independence Concert at the Park.
Tell your City Manager there are grants through the Federal Home Loan Banks (they MUST do community involvement), Main Street, internships with colleges and universities..... Counting the %^&*( cats someone keeps feeding, we have a population of about 2300 - and NO Harvester..
Main Street is a good program.

Shinnston has NO "bed tax". When the Legislature authorized it, there was no lodging facility in City Limits so why pay to have the Ordinance drawn up (they never thought of a B & B opening). They also never thought I would last, so they did not enact it when I opened. They were about to, at MY urging several years later when a neighboring city destroyed the COUNTY CVB. Then the County Seat city opened a CVB - little boys peeing contest. I told the Council to stop the Ordinance because who were we going to give half to? And the guests are NOT knocking down my doors to save 6%.
We have an identity and brand - but we got it through grants. There are grants for that sort of thing, just not for brick & mortar projects. We got a grant for Shop Local partnering with WVU - the students did the promotion work. During the good weather months our shopkeepers have Girls Night Out on a Thursday once a month.
Each shopkeeper has a nibble food or dessert or a wine tasting and is open until 9 that night. We are in the process of having a stage built on the open space that is eventually going to be our Community center. Council passed it Monday night - BECAUSE it is not going to cost the City anything. Business - including me (I already wrote the check for $100)- is coming up with the $2500 he needs for the materials ans "slave labor" will build it (that is how things get done here). The person behind this is our "sound guy" for events here. The plan is to have Wind Down Wednesdays with someone performing every Wednesday - garage bands, up & coming band on tour (he knows them), etc. Our Community Development Director gets donations/sponsorships from the gas companies, the banks (not all are FHLB), and County Commission, and companies big & small to pay for our summer programs at the Park - Improv, singers, Shakespeare. We also have an Arts & Crafts Festival, Arts Walk, Frontier Days (all downtown), Citywide Yard Sale, and of course, the Shinnston Community Band Independence Concert at the Park.
Tell your City Manager there are grants through the Federal Home Loan Banks (they MUST do community involvement), Main Street, internships with colleges and universities..... Counting the %^&*( cats someone keeps feeding, we have a population of about 2300 - and NO Harvester..
The problem with Main Street is it requires a paid Director. Most towns in WV do not have the resources to pay a Director. So while he was Governor, Manchin created ON TRAC - a WV program that tracks Main Street, is eligible to attend the workshops and use Main Street information but cannot use the Main Street name. Cities designated ON TRAC must be in the program 2 years before being eligible to move up to Main Street, but are not required to move up. Shinnston was one of the 13 original ON TRAC cities. It has qualified us for grants and training. I believe it was through that that we got the grants for the branding company to come up, look at us, and create a logo for us. We had a logo, but they refined it and showed us how to use it for all the aspects of the City - Admin, SDA, etc.

The problem with Main Street is it requires a paid Director. Most towns in WV do not have the resources to pay a Director. So while he was Governor, Manchin created ON TRAC - a WV program that tracks Main Street, is eligible to attend the workshops and use Main Street information but cannot use the Main Street name. Cities designated ON TRAC must be in the program 2 years before being eligible to move up to Main Street, but are not required to move up. Shinnston was one of the 13 original ON TRAC cities. It has qualified us for grants and training. I believe it was through that that we got the grants for the branding company to come up, look at us, and create a logo for us. We had a logo, but they refined it and showed us how to use it for all the aspects of the City - Admin, SDA, etc.
Our town is a Main Street Town and last year we raised $30K and the town pitches in $30K. We are asking our county for some this year and we have gotten numerous grants as well.

Yes I would be looking at the tax to see my total. I'm sorry but yes, I'm concerned that the under the radar air b n b's will be the winners. Since i'm not confident in air places, I'd then see that all the b&b's and hotels charge the same tax and I'd pick your place because it's so nice.
Gillum, I'm so sorry you're sick!

Oh, Gillum. If only you weren't so far away. I'm not too busy and I could help you out. I don't think people get it when one of us gets sick. We have to put on that face and keep smiling. I had an unexpected root canal last week and I was so fortunate that I didn't have anyone for a few days. Being able to just chill in bed was the best feeling!
So, all you wannabes, beware! There is no calling the boss to tell him you won't be in! You are the inn!!

Oh, Gillum. If only you weren't so far away. I'm not too busy and I could help you out. I don't think people get it when one of us gets sick. We have to put on that face and keep smiling. I had an unexpected root canal last week and I was so fortunate that I didn't have anyone for a few days. Being able to just chill in bed was the best feeling!
So, all you wannabes, beware! There is no calling the boss to tell him you won't be in! You are the inn!!.
All worked out. She knew I had the epizoodic because as we were ringing of from her making the rez I went into a coughing jag. I pretty much had the coughing under control when I was around them and made up for it in the OQ.
Today starts another week from hell with commitments I cannot ignore - Poll worker training, Election Official training (now after EVERY required deadline to make my election legal has passed Sec of State's office holds the required training class) - and another Tesla coming Saturday. (And 4 evenings of Community Garden work scheduled for Garden Week) I m getting better, thank you all for the kind words.

So, all you wannabes, beware! There is no calling the boss to tell him you won't be in! You are the inn!!.
All worked out. She knew I had the epizoodic because as we were ringing of from her making the rez I went into a coughing jag. I pretty much had the coughing under control when I was around them and made up for it in the OQ.
Today starts another week from hell with commitments I cannot ignore - Poll worker training, Election Official training (now after EVERY required deadline to make my election legal has passed Sec of State's office holds the required training class) - and another Tesla coming Saturday. (And 4 evenings of Community Garden work scheduled for Garden Week) I m getting better, thank you all for the kind words.
again super propps from all B&B;s here in the tesla program for spreading the word ! we are hoping to get one delivered free in the summer and then installed - will give us a marketing advantage
Would also bring it to anyone who's with boo k in g . co m that they now have electric car charging point as a search for feature so make sure you take advantage!

again super propps from all B&B;s here in the tesla program for spreading the word ! we are hoping to get one delivered free in the summer and then installed - will give us a marketing advantage
Would also bring it to anyone who's with boo k in g . co m that they now have electric car charging point as a search for feature so make sure you take advantage!
Jcam said:
Glad to hear that the destination charging program has made it to England. I am finding lodging with electric car charging for my upcoming trip. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to go!

Jcam said:
Glad to hear that the destination charging program has made it to England. I am finding lodging with electric car charging for my upcoming trip. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to go!
they had some reps in town selling the cars and he told me it was due to us being on a different voltage to europe and USA was holding up production of the equipment ie they can do all of europe on the same unit so makes sense to do them first.

Jcam said:
And I can't manage to get our local electric company to tell me how much it would cost me to move from 200A to 400A so that I could do it. Nevermind what it would do to have that connection in the house.. yes, we are connected undeground.

After my 1000 mile Tesla road trip recently, I'm thinking that in the next few years a lot of the gas stations will be adding pay-to-use fast chargers, as electric cars become more numerous, and sales of gasoline drops off.

Back